Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    sadly, he would win easily
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    vaggar99 said:
    Probably.
    He is kind of acting like he's planning on running IMO. He happens to be filming a big movie in metro Vancouver right now, and he has been all over the place schmoozing with politicians - he basically seems to be putting effort into sucking up to everyone. Just recently he recorded a slightly weird video message gushing about the Mayor of Surrey (a city that is part of metro Van), and he is frequently going out of his way to essentially ingratiate himself, making friends with foreign people in power. To me, this seems like the kind of thing a politician would do while making connections and building a rep in another country, not something an actor would do.
    I dunno... he'd be infinitely better than Trump, but I don't want to allow that fact to influence my feelings about movie stars inserting themselves into the White House without adequate qualifications. I mean, just about everyone is infinitely better suited to the job than Trump, so that is about the worst measuring stick of all time. But I will give The Rock some credit - I believe he actually gives a shit about Americans and people around the rest of the world. That isn't exactly something that we should congratulate though. It should be a normal sentiment held by any decent human being.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Probably.
    He is kind of acting like he's planning on running IMO. He happens to be filming a big movie in metro Vancouver right now, and he has been all over the place schmoozing with politicians - he basically seems to be putting effort into sucking up to everyone. Just recently he recorded a slightly weird video message gushing about the Mayor of Surrey (a city that is part of metro Van), and he is frequently going out of his way to essentially ingratiate himself, making friends with foreign people in power. To me, this seems like the kind of thing a politician would do while making connections and building a rep in another country, not something an actor would do.
    I dunno... he'd be infinitely better than Trump, but I don't want to allow that fact to influence my feelings about movie stars inserting themselves into the White House without adequate qualifications. I mean, just about everyone is infinitely better suited to the job than Trump, so that is about the worst measuring stick of all time. But I will give The Rock some credit - I believe he actually gives a shit about Americans and people around the rest of the world. That isn't exactly something that we should congratulate though. It should be a normal sentiment held by any decent human being.
    he's intelligent. he's passionate. he's a hard worker. he's positive. it would be odd to have such a highly successful wrestler-turned-actor as president. it would be almost as, if not more, surreal than a so-called billionaire-turned-reality-star as president. 

but as a guy who almost never talks publicly about politics, it's impossible to know how suited he'd be for the job. I get that some people think it's refreshing to have a non-politician in office, but I think experience plays a key role in knowing what you are doing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Probably.
    he's intelligent. he's passionate. he's a hard worker. he's positive. it would be odd to have such a highly successful wrestler-turned-actor as president. it would be almost as, if not more, surreal than a so-called billionaire-turned-reality-star as president. 

but as a guy who almost never talks publicly about politics, it's impossible to know how suited he'd be for the job. I get that some people think it's refreshing to have a non-politician in office, but I think experience plays a key role in knowing what you are doing. 
    I don't even think it's refreshing. It's fucking stupid. Being positive and a hard worker and shit is great. But I think a decent federal leader also actually has to know something about, you know, international politics and federal laws and whatnot. :lol: I mean, good lord, it's not an excessive request IMO, for a federal leader to really know wtf he or she is talking about when it comes to Constitutional law, political science, the political histories of other nations, international treaties, etc. I personally know at least 20 regular people who know an awful lot about this stuff (at a university), so I'm sure it's not too much to ask that the leader of the free world know it too. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Probably.

I don't even think it's refreshing. It's fucking stupid. Being positive and a hard worker and shit is great. But I think a decent federal leader also actually has to know something about, you know, international politics and federal laws and whatnot. :lol: I mean, good lord, it's not an excessive request IMO, for a federal leader to really know wtf he or she is talking about when it comes to Constitutional law, political science, the political histories of other nations, international treaties, etc. I personally know at least 20 regular people who know an awful lot about this stuff (at a university), so I'm sure it's not too much to ask that the leader of the free world know it too. ;)
    totally agree. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he posted something on instagram the other day, teasing (joking?) a prez run in 2032. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    his dad died today.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Vice-president. This year. Running-mate to Biden or whoever. Seriously. Why the hell not? Trump changed things forever. The Dems won’t accept it. And if getting rid of Trump is such an emergency as the Dems keeping telling us, maybe drastic measures are called for. What does Trump have that the Rock doesn’t? The Rock is tenfold the successful businessman Trump is (self-made by the way). Ten-tenfold the humanitarian Trump is. Why can’t he be a leader? And’s he’s fucking cool and interesting. Nothing about the Democrats is cool and interesting. Trump is the worst, but his fans think he’s fucking cool and funny and are eager to vote for him. The Rock would garner worldwide, positive attention for the Dems. Is it waaaay outside the box? Of course. But Trump’s LONG GONE from that box, and Dems need to find him and layeth the smacketh-down on his candy-ass!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    his dad died today.
    I'm sorry to hear that.  He's always struck me as a man with good character.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2020
    his dad died today.

Yeah, I saw a good little report about that today on a local station down in Sacramento.  They showed how Rocky Johnson got started right there in that very studio and later went on to become more famous.  They interviewed the guy who at a fairly young age was Rocky's photographer.  He talked about how Rocky was a good guy and well liked.  It was very cool. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The Rock is way to dangerous to be POTUS.  Have you all forgotten about The Corporate Elbow???  I have not.  I remember the pain it caused. The suffering.  
    Jason P said:
    The Rock is way to dangerous to be POTUS.  Have you all forgotten about The Corporate Elbow???  I have not.  I remember the pain it caused. The suffering.  
    not to mention that eyebrow. one raise and the constitution explodes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jason P said:

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Jason P said:
    he can't win. there is a lot of footage from when he was with the nation of domination. they can make a ton of opposition commercials from that stuff. goes to show that nothing in your past is really locked away.

:lol:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

Jason P said:
    the eyebrow is the signal to nuke someone's rooty poo candy ass.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Only if Becky Lynch is VP.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Triple H or Mankind as SOS

stephanie mcmahon would make a killer press sec
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The Rock has the charisma to do it.  But I don't think he is insane.  Plus he has to have a million skeletons in the closet.  His resume:

Pro Wrestling upbringing
    Football at The U
    WWE Raw / Smackdown
    Hollywood Actor

Yeah.  No way Dwayne is looking for 200 million people to start digging into his past with a fine tooth comb.
    He just poste on instagram that in some poll "46% of americans would approve of The Rock running for President". he said he is humbled, and "if it ever happens, it would be an honour to serve". 

please god no. please America, learn from your mistakes. celebrities with zero political service/experience should not win the presidency. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    He just poste on instagram that in some poll "46% of americans would approve of The Rock running for President". he said he is humbled, and "if it ever happens, it would be an honour to serve". 

please god no. please America, learn from your mistakes. celebrities with zero political service/experience should not win the presidency. 
    Those debates would be great though lol. 
    PJNB said:

Those debates would be great though lol. 
    "SHUTCHYA DAMN MOUTH JABRONI". doesn't get any more presidential than that. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Amazingly, he wouldn't even be the first president to be on the receiving end of a Stone Cold Stunner. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Imagine The Rock (not Dwayne Johnson, but late 90's THE ROCK) in a presidential debate.

"Elizabeth Warren....The Rock sees the way you look at him. Undressing The Rock with your eyes. Looking to serve The Rock a piece of that poontang pie." 

"Kamala Harris....you sit up here talking about busing. Well The Rock says this....take your bus, shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDYASS!" 

"Joe, Donald, why don't you two jabronis go have a geriatric pillow fight and leave the running of the country to The Great One?"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Imagine The Rock (not Dwayne Johnson, but late 90's THE ROCK) in a presidential debate.

"Elizabeth Warren....The Rock sees the way you look at him. Undressing The Rock with your eyes. Looking to serve The Rock a piece of that poontang pie." 

"Kamala Harris....you sit up here talking about busing. Well The Rock says this....take your bus, shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDYASS!" 

"Joe, Donald, why don't you two jabronis go have a geriatric pillow fight and leave the running of the country to The Great One?"
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Amazingly, he wouldn't even be the first president to be on the receiving end of a Stone Cold Stunner. 
    now there's a Jeapardy question if I ever saw one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

trump played golf hundreds of times during his presidency. the rock would work out twice a day every day and post pictures on his social medial of him working out.

also, if the rock runs, i will never vote for him. i am so fucking sick of the circus celebrity bullshit in our politics.

also, if the rock runs, i will never vote for him. i am so fucking sick of the circus celebrity bullshit in our politics.
    But what if his opponent in a general election was Trump?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    trump will not run again. he is out of ideas, and in 2023 relitigating the 2020 election and aftermath is a bad look. he will still be chanting "lock her up" from 2015.

but hypothetically speaking, i would stay home. i cannot support the reality show bullshit that a another trump or a rock presidency would bring.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    trump will not run again. he is out of ideas, and in 2023 relitigating the 2020 election and aftermath is a bad look. he will still be chanting "lock her up" from 2015.

but hypothetically speaking, i would stay home. i cannot support the reality show bullshit that a another trump or a rock presidency would bring.
    Oh come on gimme, we need to blur and overlap those lines some more!