Big Muff Pi!!!

I've had a few over the years and always wound up selling them.

Well, I have the itch again but it looks like there are more options than ever.

So, which to choose?

What do you have? Do you like it? Wish you had a different version?

The Green Russian, Op Amp Pi, Triangle Muff, Deluxe Big Muff and Big Muff with Tone Wicker are all new in the EH lineup since I last looked.

I have owned a Black Russian, the big, silver NYC Muff and that XO Little Big Muff.
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

Comments

• I currently have the jhs muffuletta on my board and dig it.  It’s got a version of all of the landmark muffs all in one box.  
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    edited January 2019
    traded in my big muff pi for a zvex fuzz factory vexter

runs the gambit from creamy smooth fuzz to glitchy gated spitting sputtering angry attack mode

it's a little tricky to keep it under control sometimes and i love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIrf8M2AkWs
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    I haven't bought it yet but compared the Triangle to the USA standard and Triangle was worlds better. I plan on pulling the trigger soon
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • I love my Russian pi.  But after a week with an original super fuzz (best woman a guy could ever ask for) I would explore the super fuzz circuit before deciding.  This thing has just some amazing undertone harmonics that are unreal.  With my p90 sg going into a my hitone  lead (hiwatt circuit amp) I am almost instantly given the Pete Townshend Tommy/Leads era craziness factor.  Unreal.  My first time with this type of fuzz, but so much more enjoyable than my muff and fuzz faces.  I hear badcat is a good replica of the circuit.  Just food for thought in case you weren’t sold on a specific style fuzz.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to try to audition some Muffs this weekend.

Good call on the Fuzz Factory and Super Fuzz circuits too. It's been awhile since I played with either. Time to take another look.
    I've been sick as fuck so I haven't been out of the house much. I did get a chance to rewire my pedal boards though, and I played with the HBE U.F.O. a lot. It's a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine from the '70's with true bypass and a way better bulid. The range of tones hidden in that little box are astounding.

Also, I read a lot of reviews of the current EH reissues of the Russian, Op Amp and Triangle Muffs.

Leaning toward toward Triangle. Has any one got their hands on one yet?
    Checked out a Green Russian RI, Op-Amp RI and a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. None of them really did it for me at the store. Came home with a DOD Boneshaker for my bass board instead.

Thanks to everyone who provided input. I guess Muffs just aren't right for me.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Not at all what I thought this thread was going to be about

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Oh, what could have been.........
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Not at all what I thought this thread was going to be about

dudeman said:
    Oh, what could have been.........
    OMG, you guys crack me up!
    And I was wrong too, F Me, I thought this was going to be dudeman's band. :lol:
    Next time. Maybe a side project.
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    I'll keep checking in then. 
    Dammit!

EHX has a Rams Head reissue in addition to the Triangle Big Muff Pi and the Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff now.

The demos for all of them sound great. I've got a little nagging inclination at the back of my mind to try them out and try to find the right flavor of Muff Pi for my needs.

Has anyone tried this new batch of reissues?

Also, the JHS mods for the Russian, Op-Amp and Triangle Muffs look interesting, particularly the Illuminati Mod for the Triangle. Has anyone tried any of these?
    Brought home the EHX Op-Amp Big Muff today. Admittedly, it sounds much better at home than it did at the shop.

Bought another MXR Phase 90 too. Time for experimenting!
    Can't seem to shake the need for more Big Muff clones. COVID-19 has me obsessing over pedals and circuits and mods and variants. 

I bought a Chicago Stompworks Angry Green Bear (Tall Font Green Russian clone), a Vick Audio Violet Ram's Head, I'm building a Triangle Big Muff and borrowing an ARC Effects Big Green. Probably buying a Wren and Cuff Box of War this weekend too.

The Big Muff has been one of the biggest rabbit holes in my pedal buying history and I can't seem to stop.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    you are gonna be in big muff shock before it is all over haha
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This thread cracks me up, haha!

But related to the device itself (lol, I'm still laughing), I decided to take the good advice from guitar guru gimmesometruth27and am sending back the attenuator I purchased along with my re-issue '65 Fender Princeton and using the money to get a  Ram's Head Big Muff Pi .  Love that fuzz (and laughing again... :lol: )

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Excellent! The Ram's Head is a terrific piece of gear. Triangle and Ram's Head versions are really the only Big Muff variants that seem to work for me. Even better if they have some type of midrange control or a tone stack bypass. The Russians, Op-Amp and NYC versions all sound good but they're just not my bag, I guess. 

After going WAY overboard and diving into a lot of Muffs, I definitely feel like a better person. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited September 2022
    dudeman said:
    Excellent! The Ram's Head is a terrific piece of gear. Triangle and Ram's Head versions are really the only Big Muff variants that seem to work for me. Even better if they have some type of midrange control or a tone stack bypass. The Russians, Op-Amp and NYC versions all sound good but they're just not my bag, I guess. 

After going WAY overboard and diving into a lot of Muffs, I definitely feel like a better person. 

Nice!  Yeah, researching Big Muff is like going into a candy shop.  "Hmmm, I'll take one of those, and one of those and one of those...lol!" 
    Of course, so many if anyone will ever to J Mascis' collection!
    J Mascis Pedals 

Update:  Ram's Heah Big Muff Pi ordered today!
    Electro-Harmonix Rams Head Big Muff Pi Fuzz Pedal  Sweetwater

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.