~ REM appreciation thread ~

Comments

• joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    I love their reissue campaign and am super stoked for Monster and New Adventures in a couple years. Should be interesting when they get to “Up”, I may be wrong but I’m thinking they had a bunch of material recorded and ending up scrapping and starting over for “Up”, would be cool to hear that material.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    joe159 said:
    I love their reissue campaign and am super stoked for Monster and New Adventures in a couple years. Should be interesting when they get to “Up”, I may be wrong but I’m thinking they had a bunch of material recorded and ending up scrapping and starting over for “Up”, would be cool to hear that material.
    I really wish PJ had done their reissues like this, instead of the abandoned box sets
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Check out this awesome artwork by Todd Alcott. He designs vintage-style book covers based on his favourite songs. There are loads of different ones on his Etsy page, but the REM ones are my favourites

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ToddAlcottGraphics?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=640722762

(Tim Rogers)
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Just downloaded but haven't listened yet, was on an R.E.M. kick recently and would definitely be into a solo album.
    I am wired and fading...
    The remix of Let Me In is really cool. They've stripped out the organ part, so it's just Stipe's voice and the guitars

https://youtu.be/wZkw35wMLGA

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    The remix of Let Me In is really cool. They've stripped out the organ part, so it's just Stipe's voice and the guitars

This is awesome, I love that his voice is brought out on this one although I do miss the organ part. Can’t wait to hey this thing in the mail in a few weeks!
    Listened to the remixed version of Monster today and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, will always prefer the original mix but it’s definitely worth checking out.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Agreed. Its really interesting. Theres probably only 3-4 songs I prefer the new mix to than the old one, but I really enjoy a different perspective on a 25 year old album. Makes it fresh again.

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    goldrush said:

I've always really liked this song but felt it was a bit "busy." This is perfect.
    My dad bought me the deluxe Monster set for my birthday, and had it delivered to his house... Unfortunately that is about 10,600 miles away so I’m going have to wait a couple of weeks until we visit to get it!

(Tim Rogers)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I heard Stipe say in an interview that New Adventures in Hi FI was his favorite record or one of his top two.  I was think that is crazy.  But after listening to it for about the 30Th time the last month it is phenomenal.   So many catchy hooks. 

Come back for a VOte for Change reunion!
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    On one hand, I would love a reunion. On the other, I have mad respect that they are one of the few bands that retired and actually stuck to it.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I just wish REM would have gone out on top.  At the time of their demise, their newest albums were not well received, and their ticket sales ( at least in the U.S.) were way down.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    huh? Their last 2 albums were very well received. Everyone was excited about "return to form"
    I thought Collapse Into Now was a fantastic album, easily their best since New Adventures

(Tim Rogers)
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    goldrush said:
    I thought Collapse Into Now was a fantastic album, easily their best since New Adventures
    Yes!
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    I thought their latter albums were excellent, with the exception of Around The Sun. I'll always have a soft spot for "Reveal". Some lovely tunes on that one.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Edved82 said:
    I thought their latter albums were excellent, with the exception of Around The Sun. I'll always have a soft spot for "Reveal". Some lovely tunes on that one.
    I'd have to revisit Around the Sun but Leaving New York is in my top 10 REM songs for sure.  Electron Blue is pretty good.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    goldrush said:
    My dad bought me the deluxe Monster set for my birthday, and had it delivered to his house... Unfortunately that is about 10,600 miles away so I’m going have to wait a couple of weeks until we visit to get it!
    My wife got me the Monster bundle with a hoodie, t-shirt, socks, patches & the 1995 tour program.

I still vividly remember 1995.....the Monster album came out, and the tour was interrupted a few times due to serious medical occurances.

I was studying for the CPA exam that year, and once they rerouted the tour, some of the dates conflicted with the exam.  Since I had my priorities in place, I decided to only take 2 of the 4 parts of the exam so that I could see 2 shows on the tour!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    goldrush said:
    I have not heard it and love New Adventures.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    goldrush said:
    I have not heard it and love New Adventures.
    Well, that needs to change!

Here's a start for you: 

(Tim Rogers)
    thanks!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    goldrush said:
    Well, that needs to change!

Here's a start for you: 

Wow.. Michael is looking really healthy in these videos .. 
    thanks!
    You’re welcome.
    Blue, the last song on the record, includes one of my all time favourite Michael Stipe lyrics:

(Tim Rogers)
    Beautiful.
    I see Eddie Vedder is on the album.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wow... just perfect. 

https://youtu.be/MYgpEcXf2S4

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Oh wow! Thank you for posting this.
    Like you said : just perfect.
    edited April 2020
    That’s just beautiful.

The lyrics are on R.E.M’s instagram page:

Post edited by goldrush on