Something for you non-Australians to understand how bad Australia has become...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2019
    Interesting read, seems like classic populism. It’s spreading everywhere... and it’s disturbing.  Even here in Canada, albeit a small contingent and strictly geographical.  
    Something possibly related, possibly unrelated - I watched a YouTube video recently which explained how Australia has not had a recession for some unbelievable length of time, due primarily to the influx of foreign students at your country’s world-class universities. Of those foreign students, a vast majority are from China, which points to how important this relationship is. Perhaps too important.  Government decisions possibly based on not upsetting the authoritarian Chinese government. Canada has been given a cold shoulder by China for political reasons for the past year, although we aren’t as reliant on them economically. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'll check it out later.
    Plus we've survived due to a mining boom.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I'll check it out later.
    Plus we've survived due to a mining boom.
    Yes, and I’ve learned that was also driven by the Chinese thirst for raw resources to build all their “mega-cities”.   In Canada under the Harper regime it was obvious the plan was to do more trade with China and move away from relying on our main trading partner, the US.
    All this economic power in the hands of despot leaders with poor human rights and environmental records is worrisome enough, but they also seem to be propagating these extremist views on democratic nations. It’s a war on our freedoms... Trump is a classic example in my opinion.   

It's disgusting.
    Our government is scared to condemn China for their treatment of Uyghurs. Everything is made in China. Hard to find anything not made there.

• It's disgusting.
    Our government is scared to condemn China for their treatment of Uyghurs. Everything is made in China. Hard to find anything not made there.

Sorry to hear that.  But out PM also dances around Trump as well.  A few comments by our government and an arrest of a Chinese National has resulted in strained relations between China and Canada. To be honest, it does not bother me in the slightest. 
    I'm no fan of China.
    I feel sorry for its citizens.

I know right.
    This is depressing me.
  • I know right.
    This is depressing me.
    Understandable.  We are Commonwealth cousins and quite frankly it’s quite shocking. I (naively obviously) thought Australia was very similar to Canada socially/politically  (although perhaps more like New Zealand with the big brother next door similarity).  
    I have Australian acquaintances here in Calgary.  While they all drink far more than I care to, they are all quite affable. I do not get the sense they would support this kind of BS.   
    This is what happens when a Hillsong attending Pentecostal PM is elected.
    I'd rather live in NZ or Canada right now.
  • This is what happens when a Hillsong attending Pentecostal PM is elected.
    The governing party (assuming it has a majority in your House of Representatives) supports this rubbish?  In other words, they are towing the party line? 
    The Liberal party is heavily influenced by a far right Christian conservative element within it.
  • The Liberal party is heavily influenced by a far right Christian conservative element within it.
    Seems odd that a party named “Liberal” would be influenced by the religious right.  
    Anyways... this is just another classic example of how important your vote is... who wants a church you having nothing to do with telling you what you can and cannot do? To separate church and state you must vote.  Secularism is vital within a true social democracy IMO.

There is provincial law in Quebec which is controversial. From Wikipedia:
    “The Quebec ban on face covering (included in Bill 62, “An act to foster adherence to State religious neutrality and, in particular, to provide a framework for requests for accommodations on religious grounds in certain bodies”)[1]made world headlines in October 2017.[2] The bill was passed on October 18, 2017.[1] The ban prevents a person whose face is covered from delivering or receiving a public service.”

This one is interesting because although French Canadians identify as predominantly Catholic, they also take great pride in their laws and politics being secular.  
    I just brought this up to show you we are not immune to intolerance here unfortunately. 
    I'll be writing and calling my local member of parliament to voice my concern

• He’s a piece of work.  Interestingly the mini-series on Roger Ailes paints Rupert Murdoch to be somewhat of an innocent character.  I found that to be somewhat disingenuous. The story presented was that a conservative news channel was all Ailes idea and Murdoch just went along with it.  I think it was eight episodes and it was called The Loudest Voice. 
    lol how funny. I've never heard of this mini-series. 
  • lol how funny. I've never heard of this mini-series. 
    Seth McFarlane has a role in it. It’s pretty good, but as previously stated, I think the story has some holes. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019
    lol how funny. I've never heard of this mini-series. 
    Aussie (yeah yeah born in NZ) Russel Crowe plays Ailes.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Gee, he put the weight on for that role it appears.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I know right.
    This is depressing me.
    If tRump is reelected in the US I'm going to totally lose faith in our constitution.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I know right.
    This is depressing me.
    If tRump is reelected in the US I'm going to totally lose faith in our constitution.  
    I already have.
    Very. I'm going to send an email to my local member of parliament to voice my concern. I know others doing the same.
  • Very. I'm going to send an email to my local member of parliament to voice my concern. I know others doing the same.
    Nice work.  Don’t take that lying down.  
    “The greatest weapon of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist”  - Mike Muir - Give it Revolution - Suicidal Tendencies. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    What a bummer to hear about how fucked up some things are in Australia.  The U.S., Great Britain, Australia. going into the shitter.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised- all great nations fall- but its a sorry thing to see.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Very. I'm going to send an email to my local member of parliament to voice my concern. I know others doing the same.
    I wrote to my local member yesterday. First time I have ever felt required to contact a politician. What was going to be a short, eloquent email about this bill only, ended up being a really long email about a lot of my concerns from recent events, but the focal point was this bill. My local member is a Labor member, so no doubt if he does reply, it will be only to blame everything on the current government (which is correct for some things).
    I ranted about the pathetic response from our PM in relation to the fires and supporting our VFS and also the disgraceful lack of support for our farmers.

For some background, I had attended a Pentacostal church for a number of years, until about 2-3 years ago. I'm not really a religious person, grew up a non practising Catholic that went to a Catholic school and hated Church. But after decades away, my wife had a major health issue and through that process was supported by some wonderful friends from our kids school, who were members of this church. My wife eventually felt she needed to try something lift her spirit as it had been crushed through a year long health battle. She had never been a religious person (I had to explain who was who when we watched Passion fo Christ movie :) ), but she found some hope when she first attended a service. After going for about 2 months, she asked if I would attend with her. So, to support her,  I went along. I never really committed to believing fully, but I did like the community and the work they did in the local and further abroad community.This was not a Hillsong affiliated church, but similar, without the huge budget. Our church did a lot of good in our local community and for the most part, the majority of the congregation was a very inclusive and supportive community. Now, I knew that the leaders and even some of our more religious friends had differing opinions on lots of issues (Same Sex Marriage etc), but that was fine, we don't have to agree on everything, as long as they weren't hurting anyone. It was only when the Same Sex marriage vote came up, that it became in issue, because the church started to make points about it "Whilst we are an inclusive church and gay people will always be welcomed, we do not support Same sex marriage, the bible says blah , blah blah.." This was the end of my going to church. I did voice my opinion to our friends there (who are still friends) and also the pastors and they fully understood why we left. I could never understand how places that preach love and acceptance, but it had to be under certain conditions. And I also found it hard to listen when other religions were questioned by them.  Now I will also say that I have seen in the media that there are some churches that are very inclusive and supportive of the LGBQTI community and welcome them with open arms, with no judgement or conditions, so not all churches should be tarred with the same brush.

I have met this Local member a few times when I served in the Airforce, not that he would remember, it was only on base tours etc, but I did mention it to try and get a personal reply, and they are generally pretty respectful when you mention you have served in the Defence force. I will update if  I receive a reply

Hopefully more people contact their members too. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014