Options

Watchmen (HBO series)

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    While squanching at a hotel for thanksgving I saw the episode with drug flashback / KKK / what the fuck?  Not exactly sure why the Watchman universe was grafted onto whatever this is.  

Seems like a well produced show.  Just didn't set a sinker in me 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2019
    Jason P said:
    While squanching at a hotel for thanksgving I saw the episode with drug flashback / KKK / what the fuck?  Not exactly sure why the Watchman universe was grafted onto whatever this is.  

Seems like a well produced show.  Just didn't set a sinker in me 
    Putting those pieces together is what makes it great.
    A few bullet points (not exhaustive AT ALL):
    • As orchestrated by Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, Robert Redford has been POTUS for 30 years. 
    • President Redford actually put his rubber stamp on reparations. 
    • White supremacists (who, coincidentally, know the truth about not only Veidt’s orchestration of a 30-year Redford presidency but also his orchestration of the dimensional incursion event that ended three million innocent human lives on 11/2/1985) done lost their damn minds. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    dankind said:
    Crazy!  Poor Cal!  I wonder how this resurrection (?) will pan out with the 7th sitting outside her door!
    I KNOW. It certainly makes Angela’s hostility toward Agent Blake (and maybe vice versa?) and (maybe?) Cal’s argument that Agent Blake is trying to help Angela more meaningful. Oh, and Agent Blake called Cal “fucking hot” as well.
    One of my favorite little things about the show was Angela and Cal’s relationship with each other. Seemed so healthy and good.
    Now I need to watch the whole thing a third time!
    Totally!  The whole mausoleum scene now has a deeper and completely different dimension added to it.  I’m loving this show.  Can’t believe there are only a couple episodes left this season.

I want to add that the scene with AA’s grandmother was heartbreaking too.  It really set-up Sister Night’s origin story and how despite everything, or because of it, her path, her family legacy if you will, was already set.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Woah.  
    That episode was super.
    My favorite thing was probably the music.  
    Loved loved loved the remote control scene.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Last night's episode was just too damn good. I've never experienced anything on television quite like it. It echoed Doctor Manhattan's chapter of Watchmen in just the right way for television, recognizing that it's not as easy to rewind and fast forward as it is to flip pages.

The only thing that is bullshit to me is that this series/season is going to end next week.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Assuming they stick the landing, this season is one of the rare ones where it each episode is better than the last
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I don’t even care if they stick the landing at this point. It’s been so incredible that they’ve earned a mulligan. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    This show us so incredible.  I find myself thinking about it for days afterwards.  Gutted that there is only one episode left.  Hoping desperately that hbo will order additional seasons, yet worried that the GG snub means they won’t.  
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    So Agent Petey is definitely Lube Man, right?

Some stuff in the latest Peteypedia certainly seems to imply as much. 

He’s gotta make another appearance as Lube Man in the finale. 

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    So good. Without Lindelof this wouldn't be nearly as good as it is.
  • Options
    I don’t think I’ve seen much of his other series, but he nailed this one. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I don’t think I’ve seen much of his other series, but he nailed this one. 
    Did you watch Lost?  The Leftovers?  I watched the first series, but I cannot bring myself to watch the second, despite seeing/ hearing nothing but positive reviews.  
  • Options
    I’ve never had any interest in Lost. I didn’t have the time to invest in it when it was on, and I only have less time now. 

I did catch the first few episodes of The Leftovers, but I got too far behind to catch up. I liked what I saw, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I’ve never had any interest in Lost. I didn’t have the time to invest in it when it was on, and I only have less time now. 

I did catch the first few episodes of The Leftovers, but I got too far behind to catch up. I liked what I saw, though. 
    No interest in Lost, either - Leftovers, though, was fucking fantastic from start to finish.
  • Options
    Yeah, I watched Lost on its original airing.  I have not gone back and done a re-watch.  Enjoyed it at the time though.

I’ve heard that the Leftovers is quite a heavy load emotionally, although cathartic, and that it is very well regarded by both critics and viewers alike.  I just do not have the energy or time to invest emotionally at the moment.

• Options
    Yeah, I watched Lost on its original airing.  I have not gone back and done a re-watch.  Enjoyed it at the time though.

I’ve heard that the Leftovers is quite a heavy load emotionally, although cathartic, and that it is very well regarded by both critics and viewers alike.  I just do not have the energy or time to invest emotionally at the moment.

When it comes to weight I'd say the first season of Leftovers is incredibly heavy, but if you can get through S1 it's not as much of a lift the rest of the way.
  • Options

When it comes to weight I'd say the first season of Leftovers is incredibly heavy, but if you can get through S1 it's not as much of a lift the rest of the way.
    Thanks for the advice.  I’ll probably hold off a bit longer though.  I think the SAD is kicking in at the moment.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    After the finale, I'm now in the boat that I would rather there not be a 2nd season. I don't think there is any way they can top this one. I'd rather them go out on top. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    After the finale, I'm now in the boat that I would rather there not be a 2nd season. I don't think there is any way they can top this one. I'd rather them go out on top. 
    +1

Although I'd watch an Adventures of Agent Blake, Mirror Guy and Lube Man spinoff.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yeah just end it now , I know the showrunner said this was it for him as he had no story left to tell. I just pray that HBO does not hire someone else or see this as a cash cow. It was perfect start to finish. End it on top.
  • Options
    Yep, never thought I’d say that about a show that I loved, but you’re right.

• Options
    I'd have to agree. My only thing is they've almost purposefully been running this on HBO as 'Season 1'.

Regardless, as was said above - that was just a great show from start to finish. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,498
    Can i watch it without know nothing about this universe??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    I mean I did. It made me curious to some of the backstory, but I went in not knowing anything.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

So I am a huge fan of the graphic novel , my wife never read it and we both enjoyed it equally. There are small things I would let her know during the show that gave more weight to a certain scene if you had read the graphic novel but again not needed , most of it is small nods in the show in the background that would not matter if you did not read the graphic novel but if you did you can just pick apart little Easter eggs hidden. My wife is now reading the graphic novel as she wants to know the backstory.
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    23scidoo said:

So I am a huge fan of the graphic novel , my wife never read it and we both enjoyed it equally. There are small things I would let her know during the show that gave more weight to a certain scene if you had read the graphic novel but again not needed , most of it is small nods in the show in the background that would not matter if you did not read the graphic novel but if you did you can just pick apart little Easter eggs hidden. My wife is now reading the graphic novel as she wants to know the backstory.
    I have pretty much the same experience/answer as @Matts3221

Only I think my wife still thinks she's too cool to read a comic book/graphic novel. She says she finds them difficult to read. Calling bullshit on that. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,498
    Thank you all, will watch the pilot tonight..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Rewatched the penultimate episode again tonight.
    My favorite of the series.
    I liked them all, but the way this one was put together ....fucking a.  Genius shit.
  • Options
    I liked them all, but the way this one was put together ....fucking a.  Genius shit.
    Yeah, just an incredible way to tell what at its heart was a love story. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Yeah, just an incredible way to tell what at its heart was a love story. 
    The best kind of story (to me) is when you stop watching/listening/thinking and experience.  They nailed that.