Options

Watchmen (HBO series)

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
edited October 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
I am shook!

Incredibly bold and beautifully devastating.

You don’t have to read the comics to watch it, although I do enjoy tying together the threads that led the ersatz 1980s of the comics to becoming the ersatz 2019 of the series. And some of the comics’ characters (and what they hath wrought) have appeared in the series. 
I SAW PEARL JAM
Post edited by dankind on

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I really enjoyed it. It exceeded expectations, although I was disappointed that Don Johnson's character wasn't around for long. Not an actor I've ever considered to have much depth, but liked his part in this one.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    I really enjoyed it. It exceeded expectations, although I was disappointed that Don Johnson's character wasn't around for long. Not an actor I've ever considered to have much depth, but liked his part in this one.
    Nash Bridges gone already!? Where's Cheech when you need him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    He was Nite Owl. I’m guessing he’ll still play a part in flashbacks and whatnot. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Can't wait to watch.... probably will be the weekend but loved the gn and the movie was pretty cool.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    I loved the first episode.  Looking forward to the rest of the series.  Regina King kicks ass!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Fuck, man. Sunday seems so far away. 

I wish this was on Netflix.

Then again, I remember having to wait an entire month for the next comic issue to come out back in the day. And I still have all 12.

I got rid of so many comics, but I kept those.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    We have our Hooded Justice. I think.

And it appears as though Judd was not Nite Owl, even though his force appeared to have his ship and other gadgets (e.g., the goggles Angela wears to discover the skeleton in Judd's closet).

That White Night flashback scene was perfection.

HBO released the Peteypedia (https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia), which helps to fill in some blanks between the ersatz 1985 of the OG 12 comics and the ersatz 2019 of the HBO series. I was on the right track with some of my suppositions, not so much on others (see Judd=Nite Owl), and there are all sorts of other details and explanations that I hadn't even thought of yet. Pretty cool stuff all around.

I live for Sister Night now. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    That shit was badass, and yes, Regina King is awesome.  (As usual)
    Love the soundtrack as well.  
  • Options
    I think we meet Special Agent Dale Petey tonight—and perhaps get a reintroduction to Agent Blake (aka, Silk Spectre II and The Comedienne).

Wonder if it will pick right up where the last one left off like Episode 2 did, which was a good nod to the comics along with the following newsstand chatter. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Those scenes with Agent Blake (Jean Smart) and Angela Abar (Regina King) were so perfectly executed. If those two wind up on the same side before the season is over, my TV screen might not be able to handle that much awesome. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I adore jean smart.  You’re right @dankind, the two of them on screen together was brilliant.  I’ll be honest, I have no real idea what is going on, but so far I’m enjoying the ride.
  • Options
    Yes, I think last night's episode leaned heavily on Jean Smart's performance to keep those who haven't read Watchmen engaged, and, boy, was she ever up to the task!

As mentioned, the Peteypedia (https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia) -- basically notes, clippings, memos and other assorted material from Special Agent Dale Petey's files -- also fills in some of the blanks for both Watchmen experts and newcomers alike. A new tranche of documents is released every week along with the new episodes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Look forward to watching - and Jean Smart is great.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Yes, I think last night's episode leaned heavily on Jean Smart's performance to keep those who haven't read Watchmen engaged, and, boy, was she ever up to the task!

As mentioned, the Peteypedia (https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia) -- basically notes, clippings, memos and other assorted material from Special Agent Dale Petey's files -- also fills in some of the blanks for both Watchmen experts and newcomers alike. A new tranche of documents is released every week along with the new episodes.
    Thanks dan.  I’ll make a point of checking the files out.  I think it will be helpful.
  • Options
    Lady Trieu in the motherfucking house! That opening scene with the legacy negotiation was Kubrick-level incredible -- the acorn scene at the Greenwood Center for Cultural Heritage was powerful as well.

Now we have a trio of dynamite divas deepening this mystery. 

I think this week's Veidt interlude was the funniest one yet. Baby swamps and clone catapults. :rofl: Last week, I thought that Doctor Manhattan might be the "Game Warden," but after this week, I'm wondering if it might be Lady Trieu.

BTW: Pretty funny entry in the Peteypedia this week:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,811
    Just binged this show. Not a comic book fan at all, but very much a Leftovers/Lindelof fan. And this show fucking rules.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Its really hitting its stride now. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Started falling asleep when watching late on Sunday night and turned it off.  One of the rare shows I want to make sure I watch every part of and don't want to miss anything...the show is badass.  Will revisit this weekend.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    So what is this show about?  I started to watch an episode but wasn't paying full attention.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    So what is this show about?  I started to watch an episode but wasn't paying full attention.  
    Ball bearings

;)

It is kinda complicated to describe....
  • Options
    Ball bearings

;)

It is kinda complicated to describe....
    I’ve watched every episode at least twice now. 

Still blown away by how well they’ve done. My wife has never read it, and she loves the show. I try to fill in some blanks for her about what I think is going on as it relates to the 12 comics (and there really should be 12 episodes instead of just 9, but I digress), but I’m still only just guessing. 

Although I’m fairly certain that Dr. Manhattan created the clones on Jupiter’s moon—he mentioned he might create his own humans in the books—and then abandoned them when he grew even more done with them than he did Earth’s humans. And of course, that would make him Veidt’s jailer as well.

Finally, I never realized that “Careless Whisper” was the best song ever until that last episode. 

I sought out that instrumental guitar version, and I don’t think I should even bother playing guitar anymore. No one should. This dude is sick!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,244
    I’ll give this a shot over Thanksgiving weekend

looks good
  • Options
    Another incredible episode. The history of Will Reeves, his transformation into Hooded Justice, his induction into the Minutemen, and his "hanging" of Judd Crawford as shared through the hallucinatory lens of Nostalgia to Angela Abar/his granddaughter/Sister Night was slick enough. But the weight of all that was revealed to her -- Will's experiences with racism via the Tulsa Massacre of 1921, as a member of the NYPD, as a member of the Minutemen, as a black American at large; oh, and that kick in the nuts from Captain Metropolis, his lover, regarding how Will would just have to solve black unrest by himself -- just pushed this episode into something quite extraordinary. And I haven't even grazed the surface yet.

I may have missed the inappropriately entertaining Veidt/Ozymandias interlude this week, but I can also see why the creative team behind the show skipped it for this particular episode.

Lady Trieu!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Man, talk about Angela going from not knowing anything about her grandfather to probably knowing too much. So we don't know if Don Johnson was actually a klansman right? 
  • Options
    Man, talk about Angela going from not knowing anything about her grandfather to probably knowing too much. So we don't know if Don Johnson was actually a klansman right? 
    We don’t know, but “you people” was pretty telling. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    We don’t know, but “you people” was pretty telling. 
    Ah that's right, forgot about that! Though I feel like that's a red herring and wouldn't be as good of a story if he really wasn't. 
  • Options
    Finally had a chance to watch.  Holy shit, that was an intense episode.  Kudos all around to the team.  That must gave been a brutally emotional shoot.  So much to unpack still.
  • Options
    Aw, hell no. 

Doctor Manhattan!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Crazy!  Poor Cal!  I wonder how this resurrection (?) will pan out with the 7th sitting outside her door!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Crazy!  Poor Cal!  I wonder how this resurrection (?) will pan out with the 7th sitting outside her door!
    I KNOW. It certainly makes Angela’s hostility toward Agent Blake (and maybe vice versa?) and (maybe?) Cal’s argument that Agent Blake is trying to help Angela more meaningful. Oh, and Agent Blake called Cal “fucking hot” as well.
    One of my favorite little things about the show was Angela and Cal’s relationship with each other. Seemed so healthy and good.
    Now I need to watch the whole thing a third time!
    I SAW PEARL JAM