Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

Yikes

Im hoping its not cancelled. I am looking forward to the show next summer.

Maybe its Nicki Sixx being an asshole back at DiDia.

having said that, he is an insider in the music business and does hear things of this nature id bet.  

I'm sure its Just Sixx taking a well deserved jab back at DiDia, but I'll bet he's keenly aware of how poorly the Crowes tix are selling.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Gotta think they would explore adding support or maybe even moving some venues rather than flat out canceling the whole thing.
    Does Live Nation control that many venues in one city? It seems like they only run the amphitheaters, as the arenas have agreements with the sports teams that use them.

And how would they go about re-assigning seats? I would say it is either a cancellation or nothing...and I'd bet Live Nation wants to offset their losses on the guarantee the Crowes have by holding the show and selling their concessions and merch. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    hihobibo said:
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

Yikes

Im hoping its not cancelled. I am looking forward to the show next summer.

Maybe its Nicki Sixx being an asshole back at DiDia.

having said that, he is an insider in the music business and does hear things of this nature id bet.  

I'm sure its Just Sixx taking a well deserved jab back at DiDia, but I'll bet he's keenly aware of how poorly the Crowes tix are selling.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Gotta think they would explore adding support or maybe even moving some venues rather than flat out canceling the whole thing.
    Does Live Nation control that many venues in one city? It seems like they only run the amphitheaters, as the arenas have agreements with the sports teams that use them.

And how would they go about re-assigning seats? I would say it is either a cancellation or nothing...and I'd bet Live Nation wants to offset their losses on the guarantee the Crowes have by holding the show and selling their concessions and merch. 
    Several in Boston. Rockland Trust Pavilion would make the most sense here. Yeah, it seems like a colossal pain in the ass to reassign seats but that seems more likely than canceling outright. Although neither scenario strikes me as all that likely. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    The tour will be cancelled and the Live Nation contract voided. If the brothers are truly about this reunion tour, it will be scaled back and moved to theater venues.

also Live Nation doesn’t own all of these venues, many they have operating/booking agreements with the venues. Example: the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN is owned by the city. There is an agreement with Live Nation for event booking. The Target Center in Minneapolis is owned by the city as well AXS has the event booking contract.
  • I hope the tour doesn’t get canceled but smaller venues would be awesome. But if it does get canceled that’s 500 dollars back to me. So either way I’m good. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • jefftjefft Posts: 649
    If they do switch or whatever I hope it stays at a venue with seating I  got decent seats and not looking to fight for a good spot in ga if thats the way it goes.  By the ticket sales and venue sizes I'm thinking something is going to happen.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Dude supposedly got an unrequested refund for the Vegas show.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I can see cancelling some shows. I notice there are certain cities that are actually selling tickets.
    The texas state shows look bleak for sure tho.
    It would certainly be illuminating if some shows got canceled. I never understood the economics of "hey it doesn't matter if only 100 people show up as long as they buy beer and chicken fingers." There still has to be a break-even line, but I'm not dialed in at all so I try not to squawk too much about it. It would be a bummer to see that happen, but at least full blown cynicism wouldn't be winning the day.
  • Jones beach. The blue is still available...
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    That's Red Rocks though. They can sell 4 straight nights no problem for over the Labor Day weekend.

My question is...are they playing the entire album again? 🤷‍♂️
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    That's Red Rocks though. They can sell 4 straight nights no problem for over the Labor Day weekend.

My question is...are they playing the entire album again? 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah, that was supposed to be sorta tongue in cheek. I have to imagine it will also be a SYMM show. Unless they decide to have one night where they let it all hang out. So it goes when you have the self-imposed limitations of a full-album tour.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I'm happy that they are able to sell Red Rocks twice, but that's the only sold out venue so far. Furthermore, most places appear to have sold less than 1/4 of the tickets.

I love Chris and Rich, but I don't understand much about this tour. The thing that I struggle with most is the "jam ban". Chris and Rich are coming from musical projects, including their bread and butter, which have included tie-dye, peace flags, psychedelic artwork, incense, long beards, and dope smoke in different aspects of their brand. Now, suddenly and out of the blue, they are a little more spruced up. When was the last time Chris Robinson's hair or beard were this short? When was the last time they both were wearing mostly black during promotion? Why do they have to remind us that they are a rock'n'roll band? When they talk about jamming, why do they act as if they're searching for a 10 foot pole.

For the last 20 plus years, Chris Robinson seemed perfectly happy hippie dancing while music was being spiraled into something different on stage, whether his brother was present or not. Rich Robinson often did the spiralin', whether his brother was present or not. Now it's kind of like: Ew! Gross! Jamming?!? Stay away from our rock'n'roll band with that Grateful Dead crap!

It strikes me as being disingenuous. It makes me wonder if LiveNation is holding the strings. It makes me wonder if Chris and Rich will just be sleepwalking through the songs, and getting paid.  
    3days said:
    I'm happy that they are able to sell Red Rocks twice, but that's the only sold out venue so far. Furthermore, most places appear to have sold less than 1/4 of the tickets.

I love Chris and Rich, but I don't understand much about this tour. The thing that I struggle with most is the "jam ban". Chris and Rich are coming from musical projects, including their bread and butter, which have included tie-dye, peace flags, psychedelic artwork, incense, long beards, and dope smoke in different aspects of their brand. Now, suddenly and out of the blue, they are a little more spruced up. When was the last time Chris Robinson's hair or beard were this short? When was the last time they both were wearing mostly black during promotion? Why do they have to remind us that they are a rock'n'roll band? When they talk about jamming, why do they act as if they're searching for a 10 foot pole.

For the last 20 plus years, Chris Robinson seemed perfectly happy hippie dancing while music was being spiraled into something different on stage, whether his brother was present or not. Rich Robinson often did the spiralin', whether his brother was present or not. Now it's kind of like: Ew! Gross! Jamming?!? Stay away from our rock'n'roll band with that Grateful Dead crap!

It strikes me as being disingenuous. It makes me wonder if LiveNation is holding the strings. It makes me wonder if Chris and Rich will just be sleepwalking through the songs, and getting paid.  
    Have you not read all the previous posts? 
    Its absolutely live nation calling the shots. They paved out the plan and paid the brothers to play by the rules. 
    3days said:

Unless there is a blowup, the quality of the performances are the last thing I'd be worried about. As much as I'd rather see more original members, I think they made some really interesting choices to round out the rest of the band.
    pjl44 said:
    3days said:

Unless there is a blowup, the quality of the performances are the last thing I'd be worried about. As much as I'd rather see more original members, I think they made some really interesting choices to round out the rest of the band.
    That is a fair point, and I hope you're right. Hell, I honestly hope I'm wrong. I'm just worried I guess. I'll be very interested in hearing the reviews, and seeing the videos. 
    3days said:

Have you not read all the previous posts? 
    Its absolutely live nation calling the shots. They paved out the plan and paid the brothers to play by the rules. 
    Yes, but to what degree? I don't really have a problem with LiveNation dictating dates and venues. I do worry about LiveNation dictating the art.
    edited December 2019
    3days said:
    pjl44 said:
    3days said:

That is a fair point, and I hope you're right. Hell, I honestly hope I'm wrong. I'm just worried I guess. I'll be very interested in hearing the reviews, and seeing the videos. 
    There are videos of the Bowery show. Check em out and see what you think.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I'll pass on this. The closest LN venue to me is the Xcel, and I have no interest driving downtown St. Paul to see an album show, with $20 parking and $12 beers.

To each their own though, I mean, have fun if you're going and all. First Ave would've made much more sense, but not LN.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    3days said:

Not everyone like to sit through jams. I think he’s just openly saying no jams to bring in more casuals. Nothing wrong with that imo 
    The funny thing is I don't remember them being all that jammy the last 3 or 4 times they came through. Extended a couple songs but nothing that screamed jam band. I saw a couple shows 15 or so years ago that had that vibe, but it seemed like they reined it in a while ago.
    pjl44 said:
    The funny thing is I don't remember them being all that jammy the last 3 or 4 times they came through. Extended a couple songs but nothing that screamed jam band. I saw a couple shows 15 or so years ago that had that vibe, but it seemed like they reined it in a while ago.
    This
    they really just extended some songs into jams. Never a full on Jam band in my eyes.
    pjl44 said:
    This
    they really just extended some songs into jams. Never a full on Jam band in my eyes.
    It was like My Morning Jacket where you might get an 18 minute Steam Engine or Dondante but the rest of the set is a pretty straightforward 20 or 25 songs
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    This
    It was like My Morning Jacket where you might get an 18 minute Steam Engine or Dondante but the rest of the set is a pretty straightforward 20 or 25 songs
    Exactly and I bet there will still be a smaller type jam if TBC play some of those songs in the second set. Like Thorn in my pride or wiser time.
    you can’t play those songs without a little bit of a jam and solo. 
    They did bring in these musicians who can actually play so it would be a shame not to let them take off once or twice per show.
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    This
    Exactly and I bet there will still be a smaller type jam if TBC play some of those songs in the second set. Like Thorn in my pride or wiser time.
    you can’t play those songs without a little bit of a jam and solo. 
    They did bring in these musicians who can actually play so it would be a shame not to let them take off once or twice per show.
    Agree completely. It becomes a hell of a lot easier to accept a completely new lineup if they feel like a band vs. hired guns playing their parts. What you described is how they get there in my opinion. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    pjl44 said:

last time I saw them, I was in heaven during a 21 minute thorn in my pride and 18 minute wiser time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I am so on the fence over this thing...

one minute I’m thinking “money grab; ridiculous venues; I’ll never give that asshole Chris another fucking penny; etc....”

then, I hear their music again... 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • My opinion: It is what it is. I am psyched to go. Just really got into their music a couple of years ago because of the Croweology album. Never thought I’d have a chance to see them live. Am I bummed that they are playing a full album with no jamming? Yes. But it should be awesome no matter what and edibles and legal Cali weed makes every show better anyways. Bring it on. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.

no jamming???? :tired_face: 

how high does chris look?? :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Happy for all the enthusiasts in this thread! I don't like them enough to really care, but good for you guys!!
    www.cluthelee.com