2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:
    0 points for Embiid in 32 minutes..i could better..
    he seemed out of sort last night but Gasol always plays him tough.  Have to say, the raptors are very short-handed missing some very keys players and still playing damm well. 
    I have no idea what happened to Embiid last night. Of course, the other way of looking at this is the Raptors barely beat the Sixers with literally nothing out of him though....
    true, you can also say that the raptors beat the sixers while missing starters like lowery and ibaka.  as for Embid, I wrote this before, it seems to be that he is playing at the wrong position cause of simmons.  there is no reason why Embid should be shooting 3's but he is crowded out in the post cause simmons is there. 
    Simmons just needs to shoot the fucking ball and Embiid needs to get his ass to the post. Simmons attempted and made a 3 a week ago and hasn't attempted one since. If he just takes a few a game it would help with the spacing.

All of that being said....the Sixers starting five, when they are all on the court at the same time, is one of the best in the game as far as net rating is concerned. 
    at some point brown has to tell embid that he doesn't want to see him above the post and has to tell simmons that he will be fined when he doesn't take an open shot.  Brown has not shown the ability to get these players to play better imo
    Well I think part of the reason Embiid is out there so often is because of Simmons' reluctance to shoot. Brown is a good coach but he needs to do a better job of getting him to shoot the ball. He seems to like the corner three. Run some some screens for him to get open down there. 

Fining a guy making well over $100 million won't accomplish anything. 
    I don't think Simmons has any desire to elevate his game anymore than what it is.  Too bad he isn't like Siakm and worked on his game.  
    That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

There are quite a few players that are "content" w their game and think they will be just fine without elevating it.

Please though, do explain.
  • Can we talk Doncic for a second please.

Everyone with these stats that he's the first to do this before this one and that needs to stop.  This guy has been playing pro ball since he was 13.

13!!!!

You know what Kobe was doing at 13?  Playing middleschool ball against middle school kids.

The comparison is just dumb.  The kid is already polished from banging bodies with older, mature players.

Dumb.

I am also not exactly sold on him either.  He can light up any team that doesn't play Defense or plays really shitty D.

Who played against him on Denver and Boston?  Those are the only 2 games w teams that played him tough.
    Actually, I played against Kobe in middle school when we were 13.
    He wasn't w Lower Merrion yet then?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Can we talk Doncic for a second please.

Everyone with these stats that he's the first to do this before this one and that needs to stop.  This guy has been playing pro ball since he was 13.

13!!!!

You know what Kobe was doing at 13?  Playing middleschool ball against middle school kids.

The comparison is just dumb.  The kid is already polished from banging bodies with older, mature players.

Dumb.

I am also not exactly sold on him either.  He can light up any team that doesn't play Defense or plays really shitty D.

Who played against him on Denver and Boston?  Those are the only 2 games w teams that played him tough.
    Actually, I played against Kobe in middle school when we were 13.
    He wasn't w Lower Merrion yet then?
    That would've been 1991. I believe that was 8th grade if I'm not mistaken...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:
    he seemed out of sort last night but Gasol always plays him tough.  Have to say, the raptors are very short-handed missing some very keys players and still playing damm well. 
    I have no idea what happened to Embiid last night. Of course, the other way of looking at this is the Raptors barely beat the Sixers with literally nothing out of him though....
    true, you can also say that the raptors beat the sixers while missing starters like lowery and ibaka.  as for Embid, I wrote this before, it seems to be that he is playing at the wrong position cause of simmons.  there is no reason why Embid should be shooting 3's but he is crowded out in the post cause simmons is there. 
    Simmons just needs to shoot the fucking ball and Embiid needs to get his ass to the post. Simmons attempted and made a 3 a week ago and hasn't attempted one since. If he just takes a few a game it would help with the spacing.

All of that being said....the Sixers starting five, when they are all on the court at the same time, is one of the best in the game as far as net rating is concerned. 
    at some point brown has to tell embid that he doesn't want to see him above the post and has to tell simmons that he will be fined when he doesn't take an open shot.  Brown has not shown the ability to get these players to play better imo
    Well I think part of the reason Embiid is out there so often is because of Simmons' reluctance to shoot. Brown is a good coach but he needs to do a better job of getting him to shoot the ball. He seems to like the corner three. Run some some screens for him to get open down there. 

I don't think Simmons has any desire to elevate his game anymore than what it is.  Too bad he isn't like Siakm and worked on his game.  
    That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

There are quite a few players that are "content" w their game and think they will be just fine without elevating it.

Because it is impossible to measure someone's desire.

By all accounts, he put in a ton of work on his game this past summer. That would lead me to believe he wants to get better. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

By all accounts, he put in a ton of work on his game this past summer. That would lead me to believe he wants to get better. 
    I can remember when players came back and they were "better".  Simmons doesn't strike me as that player yet, sorry.

Seeing Embiid draining 3's would leave me to believe that he worked on his outside game more than Simmons.
    fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

I can remember when players came back and they were "better".  Simmons doesn't strike me as that player yet, sorry.

Seeing Embiid draining 3's would leave me to believe that he worked on his outside game more than Simmons.
    It is a fact and, and well known one, that Simmons worked on his game quite a bit over the summer. The endless videos his coach posted are proof. That's what makes his start to the season perplexing. 

Embiid's been draining 3's since day 1...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

It is a fact and, and well known one, that Simmons worked on his game quite a bit over the summer. The endless videos his coach posted are proof. That's what makes his start to the season perplexing. 

Draining more now than last year.

Every player "works" on their game over the summer but some others come out actually better, that's just my thing.  I expect, me, expected Simmons to be head and shoulders better than others around him and I just don't see it.

Like I said, when a player really works at getting better it shows.  I don't see it.

Trae Young is a player that I see got better.
    fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

Every player "works" on their game over the summer but some others come out actually better, that's just my thing.  I expect, me, expected Simmons to be head and shoulders better than others around him and I just don't see it.

Like I said, when a player really works at getting better it shows.  I don't see it.

Embiid is a career 31% from 3. He is shooting 32% this year. 

Whether he is better or not was not your original argument about him not putting in the work. He did. He opted not to play for Australia in that international tourney so he could continue to work with Chris Johnson out in LA.

Again--that's why its perplexing to a lot of people that he's still not shooting the ball. His defense is much improved, though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412

13!!!!

Dumb.

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

Whether he is better or not was not your original argument about him not putting in the work. He did. He opted not to play for Australia in that international tourney so he could continue to work with Chris Johnson out in LA.

Again--that's why its perplexing to a lot of people that he's still not shooting the ball. His defense is much improved, though. 
    I guess we may be in a disagreement on working out and working on your game then.

Every player works out in the off season, they all do.  Only a select few actually work on their game though.  Do you see the difference I'm trying to make between the 2?
  • 23scidoo said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

Well I guess we know that Dallas isn't winning anything this year at least...
    fife said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    23scidoo said:

That's nonsense. 
    Please explain why.

I guess we may be in a disagreement on working out and working on your game then.

Every player works out in the off season, they all do.  Only a select few actually work on their game though.  Do you see the difference I'm trying to make between the 2?
    Oh man. He. Did. Work. On. His. Game. Extensively. 

There’s lots of video evidence of it!! Haha  I don’t know why else to tell you. You can easily google the videos. Him and his training coach made them available to the world. That’s why people are surprised he still hasn’t shot jumpers yet. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This right here is ridiculous. I think we can agree on this!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • This right here is ridiculous. I think we can agree on this!

It looks like when you took a video camera and pointed it at the TV...

What am I looking at?  A Rabbit hole?

Blue pill or red?
    Looks like a MC Escher picture
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Looks like a MC Escher picture
    You mean Emek?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    This right here is ridiculous. I think we can agree on this!

Yeah I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch in the matrix and not the new normal.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    PJ I.T. is working on it. :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

13!!!!

Dumb.

i thought Kobe started playing ball in Italy while his dad was coaching or playing over there.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

i thought Kobe started playing ball in Italy while his dad was coaching or playing over there.
    He was in grade school when he was in Italy.
    JK_Livin said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

Bala Cynwyd Middle School once he came over to the states. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_Livin said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

Question, I'm sure he was bigger than most people but was he head and shoulders better than everyone else?  Usually Middleschool is the first signs of that.
    JK_Livin said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

Question, I'm sure he was bigger than most people but was he head and shoulders better than everyone else?  Usually Middleschool is the first signs of that.
    The thing then was that his dad was at the game and I feel like that was as big a deal because he used to play for the Sixers. I remember people talking about that as much or more than Kobe. Kobe must've had about 20 points in a game where his team had like 50. They crushed us.
    I don't remember Kobe towering over everyone as much as you might think though. He was definitely taller but you could tell he was just a million times better than anyone else on the court. I had 2 points in garbage time!

Then in high school we played him twice a year (not me-I stopped playing after freshman year). It was like the Cowboys coming to town. We used to boo the hell out of him. When I was a senior one of my friends actually held him in check for the first half. They played a box and one defense. But then he just went off in the 2nd half and scored a thousand points. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_Livin said:

13!!!!

Dumb.

The thing then was that his dad was at the game and I feel like that was as big a deal because he used to play for the Sixers. I remember people talking about that as much or more than Kobe. Kobe must've had about 20 points in a game where his team had like 50. They crushed us.
    I don't remember Kobe towering over everyone as much as you might think though. He was definitely taller but you could tell he was just a million times better than anyone else on the court. I had 2 points in garbage time!

Then in high school we played him twice a year (not me-I stopped playing after freshman year). It was like the Cowboys coming to town. We used to boo the hell out of him. When I was a senior one of my friends actually held him in check for the first half. They played a box and one defense. But then he just went off in the 2nd half and scored a thousand points. 
    lol, the great ones always find a way to score against a defense!
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Doncic killed the Red Hot Lakers...

I'm begining to think that he might be the real deal...

My favorite leader stat this year so far is seeing LBJ #1 in assists.  Would love to see him career trend this way.  Would like to see him at 20 PTS and 15AST a game.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Clippers hang 150 on the Wiz.
    That's some serious defense right there.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Doncic killed the Red Hot Lakers...

My favorite leader stat this year so far is seeing LBJ #1 in assists.  Would love to see him career trend this way.  Would like to see him at 20 PTS and 15AST a game.
    What? A week ago you weren't sold on him!

I think that kid is amazing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Doncic killed the Red Hot Lakers...

What? A week ago you weren't sold on him!

I think that kid is amazing.
    That is correct.  I even asked on here what others thought of him.  I was very suspect of him and hype.  

I'm coming around and seeing that the kid is the real deal.

Reason for pause is the hype machine that brings these players up in status that probably shouldn't like calling Kristaps a "unicorn" to me was ridiculous.  He wasn't that good.  He is in a perfect spot right now playing behind Doncic.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1895601

Report: Extra draft pick proposed as prize for in-season tournament
    4h ago
    David Dow / National Basketball Association / Getty
    PHILADELPHIA PA - NOVEMBER 27 Joel Embiid 21 of the Philadelphia 76ers handles the ball against the Sacramento Kings on November 27 2019 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia Pennsylvania NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that by downloading andor using this Photograph user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement Mandatory Copyright Notice Copyright 2019 NBAE

A potential midseason NBA tournament is far from a done deal, but if it happens, teams might be playing for more than a trophy and bragging rights.

Awarding the tournament winner an extra draft pick has been proposed as an incentive, league sources told Marc Stein of The New York Times, though that change would need to be approved by a vote at the NBA Board of Governors meeting in April.

The NBA is apparently eyeing its 75th anniversary season, 2021-22, to introduce the in-season tournament.

The soccer-inspired event is one of three major schedule changes reportedly being discussed by the league, the National Basketball Players Association, and NBA broadcast partners.

The G League will hold its own midseason tournament at its annual winter showcase event in mid-December. Teams will be ranked 1-28 based on their records through the first 12 games of the season.

The top four teams will be placed into the championship bracket while the remaining 24 teams will be placed into six four-team brackets. The tournament-winning club will receive $100,000, and the games will count toward regular-season records.