Options

REM mentioning Eddie Vedder

HIP HOP GURU Ari Melber talks with REM, and they show Eddies induction speech and Michael Stipe says a few words (like 4-5) about him afterwards. Also talks a bit about Kurt Cobain.

https://youtu.be/_cw1QSP6FAw
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    I like a lot of their music, not all of their music....but I miss them being around.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,502
    If they ever reunited (I don't think they will), I wonder if they could sell out a football stadium.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    It really is interesting to see their post-break up activity.  They have turned into historians of REM.   You would think all the time they spend doing interviews and working on reissues would lead to them wanting to get back out there and play a show together, but so far no dice.
  • Options
    It really is interesting to see their post-break up activity.  They have turned into historians of REM.   You would think all the time they spend doing interviews and working on reissues would lead to them wanting to get back out there and play a show together, but so far no dice.
    I have a feeling they will play some
    shows next year or possibly Michael stipe will do a mini solo tour
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    REM are the perfect example of you do not know what you had until its gone.....I took them for granted. Dont get me wrong I saw them several times over the years, but dearly wish now I had seen them more. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Never saw them live.  Didn’t realize their greatness until 2010 and then it was too late for live shows.
  • Options
    They were a truly wonderful band. Their back catalogue.  The new live gig from the monster re issue is worth a listen 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    If they ever reunited (I don't think they will), I wonder if they could sell out a football stadium.
    Maybe one, but they’d struggle to fill arenas or amphitheaters if they did a full tour.
  • Options
    I "dragged" my wife to the REM show at the Greek Theater in Berkeley in 2008--without knowing that it would be part of their last tour.  While she had been a fan in HS and college beginning with Document, they had fallen off her radar.  I continued to listed to everything they put out...still love New Adventures in Hi-Fi for reasons that remain indescribable to me.  After spending the evening with REM (and openers Modest Mouse and the National--I know, pretty good right?) my wife looked at me and said "that is the best concert I have ever seen."

Michael Stipe was terrifically engaged and cemented his place in my mind as a favorite band leader to both listen to and watch....I would personally see them on any tour they decided to throw together....and encourage anyone and everyone to see them....I feel lucky to have seen them 6 times over the years....

I also love the reissue of Monster....the mix is great with Stipe's vocals positioned in a more front and center position.  I really enjoyed that album when it came out (not loved by people who wanted more of the same from their preceding albums)...I thought they did a hell of a job putting and REM spin on the crunchy Northwest guitar driven songs that were percolating in music.   Give it another listen if you haven't.  

That is all....  :)
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    edited November 2019
    You still love New Adventures because its one of their 5 best records and second best WB era record.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited November 2019
    Another mention here at 1:45

https://youtu.be/VpBise6WwIo
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,502
    DewieCox said:
    Maybe one, but they’d struggle to fill arenas or amphitheaters if they did a full tour.
    I'd think they'd be able to sellout 15,000 - 20,000 amphitheaters in many U.S. cities.

By the way, the 11th anniversary of their last show ever is coming up.