2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    While Mitch and most of the offense were absolute garbage as usual, the defense and special teams were just as bad.  A complete horseshit performance all around.  And the worst part is that it was coming out of the bye week....a lot of that is coaching.  Once again Nagy went away from the running game immediately once they were down.  And the defense did absolutely nothing....barely any pressure on Bridgewater all day.  I don't even know what to say.  It's a complete disaster all around right now.  
    That game was reminiscent of Trestman year 2.  Yikes.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I said the same thing on 10/7 in reference to the game in London. Twice in a row is officially a trend. :scream:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    2 weeks to prepare after being embarrassed in London. Still having a hard time comprehending this game. Failure from the top down. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

I texted my buddy the exact same comment yesterday.
    This team is really in trouble.  Many have been focused on one thing or another of the course of the short season, but the many layers are coming apart and it's becoming more and more clear that this team is in a bad spot.
    The Obvious Ones:
    Nagy:  Another piss poor game plan and terrible play calling.  He's dumbed down this offense so much, he doesn't need that play calling sheet he hides behind during the game.  Pretty sure he could put his plays on a post-it note.  He made Coach of the Year last year more or less running trick plays.  When those stopped working he became exposed for what he is.
    Offensive Line:  The biggest weakness on this team is their O-line.  They can't open holes for a running game, they can't sustain blocks and they can't protect the QB.  Teams know they can't run and know they can sit back and let Mitch pretend to play QB.  The dude from GB was spot on in his comment about Trub.
    Mitch:  Let's forget about all the draft position bullshit.  It sucks but we got to move on.  He's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Daniel, who is probably better than him at this point, also won't be a real option.  There is talent all over the Bears team, but unless they figure out how to get anything from #10, this window of talent might be closing faster than expected.
    The Other Ones:
    Defense:  It seems like teams may have started to figure out this big, scary defense.  Let's be honest, if #52 isn't getting pressure, we're in for a long game.  The Saints were doubling up on Mack for a good portion of the game.  Nobody else managed to use their personel "loss" as a positive to get pressure on the QB.  That also may be gameplanning and adjusting on Pagano's part.
    Special Teams:  Two blocked punts in a game and a play that should have been a punt return?  Fuck me.

Nagy needs to get this shit together and do so soon.  In case you missed it, the Bears were playing Egg Toss over their bye week....you know...to keep things fun/loose.  

Another disaster.  Nagy deciding to take a knee and not run another play before the FG is almost a fireable offense.  They were running the ball well all day long so just run it another 1-2 times there and make it a 30-35 yard FG instead.  But it never should have gotten to that point...red zone offense was a fucking joke.  This should have been an easy win but this offense kept settling for FGs and you knew it was going to come back to bite them in the ass.  Mitch had some good moments but the 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter were absolutely killer.  Playoffs look just about impossible at this point...this season has quickly turned into a complete mess.
    ^^Yes, NFC is too deep. No way they make the playoffs at this point.

So bad that the home crowd boos as they take the lead going into halftime. Nagy getting salty at the reporters for the 2nd straight week. I feel he in not long for Chicago.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    ^^Yes, NFC is too deep. No way they make the playoffs at this point.

So bad that the home crowd boos as they take the lead going into halftime. Nagy getting salty at the reporters for the 2nd straight week. I feel he in not long for Chicago.

LOL I know.  Don't blame them for booing after watching that nonsense.  Should have been at least 17-7 and probably 21-7 at half if they could do anything in the red zone.
    Well...that went better than expected. What will the offseason bring?
    Well...that went better than expected. What will the offseason bring?
    Likely nothing. We better get used to watching this pathetic play for a while. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    question from Eagles fan.  do you guys think Trubisky is the issue or is it just a bad offensive scheme? To me watching yesterday's game i was shocked they didn't even try to go downfield in the 1st half. Eagles have given up a ton of deep balls this year and you don't even attempt it?  just seemed like the offense was designed to just limit mistakes.  from the outside Trubisky looks average but you have to attempt to throw the ball downfield don't you? once they did in the 2nd half they had some success. would love to hear Bears fans thoughts.
    pjhawks said:
    question from Eagles fan.  do you guys think Trubisky is the issue or is it just a bad offensive scheme? To me watching yesterday's game i was shocked they didn't even try to go downfield in the 1st half. Eagles have given up a ton of deep balls this year and you don't even attempt it?  just seemed like the offense was designed to just limit mistakes.  from the outside Trubisky looks average but you have to attempt to throw the ball downfield don't you? once they did in the 2nd half they had some success. would love to hear Bears fans thoughts.
    It’s a combination of both. Nagy’s play calling has been horrendous and very conservative, but some of it could have to do with Trubiskys limitations. Mitch is a very inaccurate passer so they dial up a lot of short throws toward the sidelines, at or near the line of scrimmage. I would have assumed the game plan would be to exploit the Philly secondary yesterday, but as you said, that didn’t happen until deep into the 3rd quarter. Nagy has been questionable all season long though, so I don’t give him a pass based on Mitch’s weaknesses. It’s a train wreck all around. 
    bbiggs said:
    pjhawks said:
    It’s a combination of both. Nagy’s play calling has been horrendous and very conservative, but some of it could have to do with Trubiskys limitations. Mitch is a very inaccurate passer so they dial up a lot of short throws toward the sidelines, at or near the line of scrimmage. I would have assumed the game plan would be to exploit the Philly secondary yesterday, but as you said, that didn’t happen until deep into the 3rd quarter. Nagy has been questionable all season long though, so I don’t give him a pass based on Mitch’s weaknesses. It’s a train wreck all around. 
    Yep.  It's both.   Mitch is horrible but Nagy hasn't been doing him many favors with the play-calling.  Although I can understand Nagy not trusting him to throw the ball downfield since he's so inaccurate.  Even the 1 big throw he had to Gabriel was poorly thrown....should have been an easy TD but it was underthrown so Gabriel had to stop and wait for the ball to get to him.  He's just a really bad QB and I don't see how the Bears can keep putting him out there every week.  Not that Chase Daniel is the answer but he'd at least give them a better shot to win some games.
    Agreed, though, at this point, they absolutely are not going to the payoffs. I mean, may as well just ride out the Trubisky train for the season. That way, they can say they gave  him the whole season to figure it out.
    Agreed, though, at this point, they absolutely are not going to the payoffs. I mean, may as well just ride out the Trubisky train for the season. That way, they can say they gave  him the whole season to figure it out.

Yeah that's probably what they are going to end up doing.  Unless he completely turns things around down the stretch here there's no way they pick up his 5th year option going into next season.  They have to address the QB spot in the offseason.  There could be a few veteran QBs available with Dalton, Cam Newton and Teddy Bridgewater all possibly being out there.  I would take any of those 3 over Mitch in a second.
    I put much more blame on Nagy than I do Mitch.  Mitch is a pretty awful QB.  Even with the Bears success last year, the only way he would put up numbers is when the Bears would call trick plays.  Rarely are any passes beyond 15 yards even close to being accurate and he can't read a defense to save his life.  But, I think we all know what we have in him.  
    It all rests on Nagy.  The guy holds nobody accountable, it's almost as if he doesn't prepare for games and his playcalling is simply horrible.  When you hear him say "I know we need to run the ball more" then the next game they run it a total of 7 times...something is really off here.
    Mitch doesn't belong in the NFL.  He barely made the starting QB in college.
    Nagy rode the coattails of successful coaches.  He has been exposed.
    What sucks about it all is this is going to hurt the team for YEARS.    
    Anyone here watch "Bears Barroom" on Youtube?  The dude does a breakdown of all the Bears games.  Goes in to a lot of detail on plays, schemes, etc.
    Good reviews and seeing it in that amount of detail shows you just how awful this team and the coaching is.  
    mca47 said:
    I put much more blame on Nagy than I do Mitch.  Mitch is a pretty awful QB.  Even with the Bears success last year, the only way he would put up numbers is when the Bears would call trick plays.  Rarely are any passes beyond 15 yards even close to being accurate and he can't read a defense to save his life.  But, I think we all know what we have in him.  
    It all rests on Nagy.  The guy holds nobody accountable, it's almost as if he doesn't prepare for games and his playcalling is simply horrible.  When you hear him say "I know we need to run the ball more" then the next game they run it a total of 7 times...something is really off here.

Agree that Nagy has not been good at all this year.  But I don't think there's any coach in the league that would have success with Mitch right now.  He has regressed so much since last year.  Looks so uncomfortable in the pocket and clearly has zero confidence in himself.  It has become clear that he's not even going to be a serviceable game manager type QB.

Who is Nagy supposed to hold accountable?  His QB is trash, the offensive line has been bad most of the year and the defense has not been nearly as dominant as they were last season.  And I'm not just making excuses for him here...his play-calling this season has been bad.  But a coach doesn't just go 12-4 just out of sheer luck like they did last year.  Everything that could go wrong for this team has gone wrong.  And it's obvious that this historically bad offense is bleeding over to the rest of the team.  I'm willing to give Nagy another shot with an actual QB and I hope that happens next year.

The real problem here is Ryan Pace.  He has had some good picks like Eddie Jackson, Whitehair, Nichols, Roquan but his miss with Mitch is going to set them back years.  How on earth can someone think Mitch was a better option than Watson or Mahomes?!?!?  And remember when Adam Shaheen was a 2nd round pick?!?  The guy played fucking division 2 football!!  Ugh this whole thing is such a mess.
    It's classic Bears, plain and simple. I think they are really missing Akiem Hicks. Obviously, Fangio leaving didn't help the defense. Neither do consistent 3 and outs on the offensive side of the ball.

I've been clear on my disdain for Mitch's play.

But I think I have less tolerance for Nagy than some. 12-4 was nice. But look at Trestman's first year. Then his 2nd. The league figured him out and adjusted. Additionally, the 12-4 record was done while playing a last place schedule. This year, it is a first place schedule. 

Either way, the future seems grim...and Pace on up would be the biggest reason why.
    I’m going to the game Sunday.  If you see a dude with a brown paper bag over his head, you’ll know who it is. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    bbiggs said:
    If you see a dude with a brown paper bag over his head, you’ll know who it is. 
    Title of your sex tape!

(Brooklyn 99!)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    It's classic Bears, plain and simple. I think they are really missing Akiem Hicks. Obviously, Fangio leaving didn't help the defense. Neither do consistent 3 and outs on the offensive side of the ball.

I've been clear on my disdain for Mitch's play.

But I think I have less tolerance for Nagy than some. 12-4 was nice. But look at Trestman's first year. Then his 2nd. The league figured him out and adjusted. Additionally, the 12-4 record was done while playing a last place schedule. This year, it is a first place schedule. 

Either way, the future seems grim...and Pace on up would be the biggest reason why.

They were 8-8 Trestman's first year.  Not even close to 12-4 and winning the division.  Trestman was a complete joke who couldn't even communicate with his players and completely lost the locker room.  You know it had to be really bad for the Bears to fire the coach and GM who both had multiple years left on their contracts!  Will be interesting to see what happens this offseason.
    bbiggs said:
    I’m going to the game Sunday.  If you see a dude with a brown paper bag over his head, you’ll know who it is. 
    LOL.  My buddy who has season tickets sent out a group text to 13 people offering tickets.  And no one responded.
    bbiggs said:
    LOL.  My buddy who has season tickets sent out a group text to 13 people offering tickets.  And no one responded.
    That is hilarious. These are my buddy’s season tickets as well and we all pick games before the season starts, so I committed long ago. I can’t leave him high and dry, but man I’d love to bail on this one! 
    bbiggs said:
    If you see a dude with a brown paper bag over his head, you’ll know who it is. 
    Title of your sex tape!

(Brooklyn 99!)

😂😂
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    bbiggs said:
    You might be one of several thousand.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    That is hilarious. These are my buddy’s season tickets as well and we all pick games before the season starts, so I committed long ago. I can’t leave him high and dry, but man I’d love to bail on this one! 

Yeah my buddy has 10 season tickets in his family going back to when they played at Wrigley Field so I've been to a ton of Bears games over the years.  We do an annual trip to go see a road game and that is enough for me these days.  Getting to Soldier Field is such a clusterfuck....if you drive, it's a mess.  The lots opening only 4 hours before kickoff is so dumb.  If you take the train, it takes forever to get to the actual stadium.  And the bathroom situation is a disaster....you're missing at least half of a quarter if you go take a piss.  Once you get into your seats it's a great place to see a game but dealing with all the other nonsense makes me just want to watch the game on my couch....I'm getting old!
    mca47 said:

Agree that Nagy has not been good at all this year.  But I don't think there's any coach in the league that would have success with Mitch right now.  He has regressed so much since last year.  Looks so uncomfortable in the pocket and clearly has zero confidence in himself.  It has become clear that he's not even going to be a serviceable game manager type QB.

Who is Nagy supposed to hold accountable?  His QB is trash, the offensive line has been bad most of the year and the defense has not been nearly as dominant as they were last season.  And I'm not just making excuses for him here...his play-calling this season has been bad.  But a coach doesn't just go 12-4 just out of sheer luck like they did last year.  Everything that could go wrong for this team has gone wrong.  And it's obvious that this historically bad offense is bleeding over to the rest of the team.  I'm willing to give Nagy another shot with an actual QB and I hope that happens next year.

The real problem here is Ryan Pace.  He has had some good picks like Eddie Jackson, Whitehair, Nichols, Roquan but his miss with Mitch is going to set them back years.  How on earth can someone think Mitch was a better option than Watson or Mahomes?!?!?  And remember when Adam Shaheen was a 2nd round pick?!?  The guy played fucking division 2 football!!  Ugh this whole thing is such a mess.
    I guess my comment about Nagy not holding people accountable was more on the whole team as opposed to Mitch.  I mean, it's hard to coach a guy who isn't that good in the first place.
    Watch any of the Bears Barroom videos.  Each and every week he shows detailed breakdowns of the good, bad and the ugly.  Every fn game there are guys standing around watching, there are guys not doing their basic jobs, wrong routes, not blocking, giving less than a half-assed attempt during plays.  Many of these players are upper tier players on the team and they keep pulling this shit.  That is where a coach needs to step in and have a word.  That shit drives me nuts.  
    Outside of losing Hicks, the team has been pretty healthy and is more or less the same exact team as they were a year ago.  I'm not even going to include Kyle Long in this because he was a waste of space anyways.
    Last year the majority of their offense came from tricky, unusual play and they weren't exactly blowing teams out.  Their D kept them in the game and were often the "offense" for as many turnovers they forced.  They had historic turnover rates last year.  That, we all knew woudln't continue...and it hasn't.  The league caught on to their gameplan and the well has dried up on defensive turnovers.  Now what does Nagy do?  The league is on to him offensively, and the defense isn't handing him gifts every quarter.  I hope i'm wrong.  I hope they can get a serviceable QB in the offseason and I hope they can get back on track.  I just don't see it happening.
    The Bears won. Yay. 

Nice that they won but they still barely beat a mediocre Lions team at home with their backup QB starting last minute.  3 TD drives in a row was good to see but the offense still can't stay on the field when they need to kill some clock....4th quarter was tough to watch.  And holy shit that Trevathan injury was nasty!  
    OK I've talked myself into the Bears winning their next 3 games and getting back in it!  Rams haven't been good this year are very beat up especially on the O-line.  Plus it's going to be like a bears home game in LA.....so many Chicago people in southern California.  Was at a game in San Diego a few years ago and it was at least 60% Bears fans.  Then we have the Giants and Lions.  7-5 here we come!  I know....I'm an idiot and just setting myself up for more disappointment.