Extinction Rebellion

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    pjl44 said:
    I believe in climate change, but haven't heard a solution that seems remotely workable. It seems to me our global society has industrialized to the point where the horse is out of the barn. At least until a new, cleaner energy source is discovered.

I don't think it's an awareness problem and I think blocking roadways and forming drum circles does more harm than good. I think a lot of people on the sidelines are looking for more reasonable solutions than hysteria.
    I think these kinds of groups are great... maybe for a long while, maybe for a few brief moments.  Some last a good while.  Some break down, become infiltrated, lose their way, forget why they came in the first part.   We'll see what happens to XR. 

I'm also for the rat terriers and lifers of all kinds who dig in their heals in and keep tearing at the problems created by human activity that damages and destroys.  These are the one who refuse to give in or give up.  They are instruments of change.

There are land a sea warriors who fight ceaselessly for the rights of all life.  Many are unsung heroes.

There are peacemakers, the flowers of humanity.

There are scribe warriors with weapons made of pencil and paper, writing words that inform, demand, lead to change, instigate thought, openly declare the truth. 

Above all, the best of these are those who stand by their convictions and carry out all their actions under the rule of thumb that states "do no harm".  So far, XR has held to the notion that non-violent civil disobedience can create awareness and promote change.  A long as they are there, I'm cool with that.

I don't lend any credence (beyond my own brief moments of feeling hopelessness) to those who stubbornly hold on to the notions of futility and utter hopelessness.  XR may succumb to this kind of thinking.  That, and harming others, is where I'll draw the line.  But, not before then.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    I believe in climate change, but haven't heard a solution that seems remotely workable. It seems to me our global society has industrialized to the point where the horse is out of the barn. At least until a new, cleaner energy source is discovered.

I don't think it's an awareness problem and I think blocking roadways and forming drum circles does more harm than good. I think a lot of people on the sidelines are looking for more reasonable solutions than hysteria.
    I think these kinds of groups are great... maybe for a long while, maybe for a few brief moments.  Some last a good while.  Some break down, become infiltrated, lose their way, forget why they came in the first part.   We'll see what happens to XR. 

I'm also for the rat terriers and lifers of all kinds who dig in their heals in and keep tearing at the problems created by human activity that damages and destroys.  These are the one who refuse to give in or give up.  They are instruments of change.

There are land a sea warriors who fight ceaselessly for the rights of all life.  Many are unsung heroes.

There are scribe warriors with weapons made of pencil and paper, writing words that inform, demand, lead to change, instigate thought, openly declare the truth. 

Above all, the best of these are those who stand by their convictions and carry out all their actions under the rule of thumb that states "do no harm".  So far, XR has held to the notion that non-violent civil disobedience can create awareness and promote change.  A long as they are there, I'm cool with that.

I don't lend any credence (beyond my own brief moments of feeling hopelessness) to those who stubbornly hold on to the notions of futility and utter hopelessness.  XR may succumb to this kind of thinking.  That, and harming others, is where I'll draw the line.  But, not before then.

Feel free to appreciate the romanticism, but if you feel like people still aren't listening in 5 years give persuasiveness a shot
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Feel free to appreciate the romanticism, but if you feel like people still aren't listening in 5 years give persuasiveness a shot
    Nice passive aggressive post there, pjl.  Sorry to inform you, however, no feathers ruffled. 

If you don't care to fully read what I have to say and respond accordingly, feel free to ignore my words.  Thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Nice passive aggressive post there, pjl.  Sorry to inform you, however, no feathers ruffled. 

If you don't care to fully read what I have to say and respond accordingly, feel free to ignore my words.  Thanks.
    I read it but there isn't anything to respond to.  I would just double back to my original point that awareness isn't the problem. 
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

I read it but there isn't anything to respond to.  I would just double back to my original point that awareness isn't the problem. 
    And yet you did with what appears to be a snarky response.  What's the point?

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Forget it
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Forget it
    Done.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well this was a fun read.

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    The police have today made peaceful protest across London illegal and by the sounds of all the sirens are clearing out all the protesters.
    Nature drunk and High
    Spags said:
    The police have today made peaceful protest across London illegal and by the sounds of all the sirens are clearing out all the protesters.
    Not surprising.  Of course, in almost any incident involving non-violent civil disobedience. That it is non-violent does not stop authorities from making arrests.  I just hope the peaceful protesters remain thus and not cave in to feelings of anger that could lead to violent protest- the point at which they do more harm than good.

Eventually deleted, naturally, but..ummmmmm, yeah

• pjl44 said:
    Reminds me of Black Lives Matter when they blocked traffic and people got pissed.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjl44 said:
    Short sighted, selfish assholes who care only for their own comfort and convenience. Fiddle while Rome burns. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    “Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it.”
    Howard Zinn

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    pjl44 said:
    Short sighted, selfish assholes who care only for their own comfort and convenience. Fiddle while Rome burns. 

Maybe they were trying to escape from Rome while it is burning in the most eco-friendly mode of transportation only to find pesky hippies forcing to use more planet destructive modes of transportation.   Add in the carbon footprint that is being created by all the helicopters and news media this group needs to be present to cover their shenanigans and this group is about 10,000 more dangerous to the planet than I am. 
    Courts have ruled that the ban on extinction rebellion in London is unlawful.  Right on!

"The judgment invalidating that ban is clearly a victory for democratic process and the rule of law. The court agreed with our lawyers that the police had unlawfully overstepped the limits of their powers in a way that disproportionately curtailed the right to protest, and that while the police could impose conditions on protest gatherings, they could not prohibit them from happening altogether."

brianlux said:
    Courts have ruled that the ban on extinction rebellion in London is unlawful.  Right on!

"The judgment invalidating that ban is clearly a victory for democratic process and the rule of law. The court agreed with our lawyers that the police had unlawfully overstepped the limits of their powers in a way that disproportionately curtailed the right to protest, and that while the police could impose conditions on protest gatherings, they could not prohibit them from happening altogether."

As much as I disagree with XR, this is 100% the correct call
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Cool, pjl. 

I'm glad they upheld the right to protest.  I hope that never gets taken away.

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Cool, pjl. 

I'm glad they upheld the right to protest.  I hope that never gets taken away.
    Right on. I may not like what they do but they should have every right to do it. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Right on.  The '60s called and want their phrase back.  LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Right on.  The '60s called and want their phrase back.  LOL
    Says the guy with a weed avi. Do you have a poster of an alien smoking a joint in your dorm room?
    I love the phrase "Right on".  Like so many phrases that originated in America, it has it roots in black culture. 

Right on,
    Brutha
    Right on
    Sista

Right on
    Right on
    Right on.

Goddamn, I love that phrase.

Right on.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    I love the phrase "Right on".  Like so many phrases that originated in America, it has it roots in black culture. 

Right on,
    Brutha
    Right on
    Sista

Right on
    Right on
    Right on.

Right on.
    A guy once asked me why I responded "no problem" when he thanked me for something. He explained to me that "no" is negative, and "problem" is negative, and that it frames a gratitude situation as a negative scenario, when I could respond "any time", or "you're welcome". Seems extreme to do that full-time, but "right on" seems to be in the same veins - it's made of "right" and "on". What could be bad about that!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Right on,
    Brutha
    Right on
    Sista

Right on
    Right on
    Right on.

Right on.
    A guy once asked me why I responded "no problem" when he thanked me for something. He explained to me that "no" is negative, and "problem" is negative, and that it frames a gratitude situation as a negative scenario, when I could respond "any time", or "you're welcome". Seems extreme to do that full-time, but "right on" seems to be in the same veins - it's made of "right" and "on". What could be bad about that!
    The ever astute Ben.  Well said, my friend!