Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Why is it fucking impossible to find home preservation recipes that work by ratios instead of set values?
    It's a constant pain in my ass.

I don't have time or patience to calculate my jelly recipe from 6 cups juice up to 8.5 cups, and it's the same for everything, damnit.
    Give me the ratios!!!

That's my rant for the day.
    Those jars were meant to be ketchup, but scaling the vinegar/clove/cinnamon in my recipe to the harvest didn't go well and they are definitely not ketchup.

On the bright side, they will make great sloppy joe sauce lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    rgambs said:

Nice, looks like your daily routine is a lot like mine, lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Why is it fucking impossible to find home preservation recipes that work by ratios instead of set values?
    It's a constant pain in my ass.

I don't have time or patience to calculate my jelly recipe from 6 cups juice up to 8.5 cups, and it's the same for everything, damnit.
    Give me the ratios!!!

That's my rant for the day.
    Those jars were meant to be ketchup, but scaling the vinegar/clove/cinnamon in my recipe to the harvest didn't go well and they are definitely not ketchup.

On the bright side, they will make great sloppy joe sauce lol
    Right on, hahaha!  I haven’t tried to make ketchup yet.  Most of them we can get turned into chilli or salsa.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

Nice, looks like your daily routine is a lot like mine, lol
    Do you have a food mill or do you hand peel and strain?
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,871
    i just found this thread. 1 year coming up of my allotment.  Here in uk
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    This is this morning s haul
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Nice load of taters!
  • Options
    Yeah these pink fir apple are nice and nutty tasting. Its my first go that this variety. Nice
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

• Options
    My toms are late this year
     Only just starting to turn. Got some cool purple ones
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

Wholly shit!  Those look rad.  What's the cultivar?  Have you done them before, and if so, how sweet are they?
    The Sunsugars I posted are ridiculously sweet, too sweet sometimes.  They throw off any recipes you include them in and they are too sweet to pair with veggie dip.  Great for plain snacking though.
  • Options
    This  is the  label. I haven't  tried one yet they  are very near ready  though
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Boy, those would really look good with the Sunsugars in a salad or pasta salad!
  • Options

• Options
    My toms are just starting to turn . So a glut is coming. But my baby 2 year old girl loves them so I'm so pleased about that. We can eat them together. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    It is glut season for sure.  I'm having a hard time keeping up with processing, but there's nothing new about that.  By the time I get a 20 lb haul of tomatoes milled, cooked down, and my implements clean the counters are covered in tomatoes waiting to be milled, cooked down, and frozen/canned again.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    rgambs said:
    It is glut season for sure.  I'm having a hard time keeping up with processing, but there's nothing new about that.  By the time I get a 20 lb haul of tomatoes milled, cooked down, and my implements clean the counters are covered in tomatoes waiting to be milled, cooked down, and frozen/canned again.
    Question about the canning.

If you want a mater in the winter for say a sandwich, do you unman one and slice it up?  If so, does it still taste fresh?

I have been wanting to can for this reason and the supermarket maters aren’t good in the winter ever...

Little help please.  I’m sure I can google it but knowing that you’ve done this year in and out would sit w me better.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

If you want a mater in the winter for say a sandwich, do you unman one and slice it up?  If so, does it still taste fresh?

I have been wanting to can for this reason and the supermarket maters aren’t good in the winter ever...

Little help please.  I’m sure I can google it but knowing that you’ve done this year in and out would sit w me better.
    If you want a good fresh mater sandwich in winter you are going to have to go to South America lol
    Whether canned or frozen, a tomato will need to be cooked first to maintain color and flavor.  If you freeze a tomato fresh it will just turn to mush and the naturally occurring enzymes will destroy the sugars and leave you with the same lack of flavor you find in the grocery store tomatoes.
    Most fruits and vegetables taste different cooked, of course, and preserving them further degrades the bright, crisp, freshness...that's why most people make sauces, salsas, pie fillings, jellies, etc rather than trying to capture flavors and textures that are so ephemeral.

Side note: it also explains the difference in Italian cuisine and American Italian cuisine. In northern climes where Italian immigrants settled we don't have a Mediterranean climate that supports fresh produce through most of the year, so tomatoes were cooked down into the heavy sauces we think of as "Italian" which contrast sharply with the light sauces made from fresh tomatoes that they actually eat in Italy.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

If you want a good fresh mater sandwich in winter you are going to have to go to South America lol
    Whether canned or frozen, a tomato will need to be cooked first to maintain color and flavor.  If you freeze a tomato fresh it will just turn to mush and the naturally occurring enzymes will destroy the sugars and leave you with the same lack of flavor you find in the grocery store tomatoes.
    Most fruits and vegetables taste different cooked, of course, and preserving them further degrades the bright, crisp, freshness...that's why most people make sauces, salsas, pie fillings, jellies, etc rather than trying to capture flavors and textures that are so ephemeral.

Side note: it also explains the difference in Italian cuisine and American Italian cuisine. In northern climes where Italian immigrants settled we don't have a Mediterranean climate that supports fresh produce through most of the year, so tomatoes were cooked down into the heavy sauces we think of as "Italian" which contrast sharply with the light sauces made from fresh tomatoes that they actually eat in Italy.
    Thanks.  I was hoping for fresh mater out of a jar, lol.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Only two things money can't buy
    That's true love and ...
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

• Options
    Wow large crop 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

• Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    That is fantastic!
    what will you do with all your squash?
  • Options
    wasa1971 said:
    That is fantastic!
    what will you do with all your squash?
    3/4 of it will be peeled, cubed, and frozen for the winter.  They keep several months, but not long enough to make it to spring.
    I use most of the intact ones to make "pumpkin pie" throughout the early winter. 
    For those that don't know, butternut squash makes a much better pie than pumpkin does.  Sweeter fruit means less added sugar.
    The cubed squash goes into a variety of dishes, but probably 75% of it goes to Butternut Squash Carbonara.  Butternut squash+peppers+onion+garlic creates an alchemical reaction that defies explanation.  Add bacon and puree with heavy cream, chicken bouillon, and a pinch of nutmeg and you have the best pasta sauce imaginable.
  • Options
    a few bits
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Anyone seeing action in their gardens yet?  I noticed a couple things are starting to take off (asparagus, spinach).  Ate a couple asparagus today from the garden and it really was just what I needed to help my attitude with all the shit going on right now.
  • Options
    My spinach bed is ready to plant as soon as we get a break from the rain.  Quarantine is going to be pretty easy if we get flooded in lol
    Got a half-ton load of compost that is waiting to spread, but first I'm going to run through with my weed dragon to blast out those weeds that are bouncing back from their winter roots.
    Tiller won't start, so I'm going to have to get it fixed or I'm in for some rough weeks.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rgambs said:
    My spinach bed is ready to plant as soon as we get a break from the rain.  Quarantine is going to be pretty easy if we get flooded in lol
    Got a half-ton load of compost that is waiting to spread, but first I'm going to run through with my weed dragon to blast out those weeds that are bouncing back from their winter roots.
    Tiller won't start, so I'm going to have to get it fixed or I'm in for some rough weeks.
    A weed dragon?! Tell me more!

I have some seedlings up. That middle section might get a transplant this weekend. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1