Options

Apple Iphone New Release 9/10/19

2»

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I usually wait 2-3 years to "upgrade".  I have the iPhone X and it's still running as good as it did out of the box.  Don't see the 11 being much better than it, so I'll wait for next year.  

• Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    mca47 said:
    I usually wait 2-3 years to "upgrade".  I have the iPhone X and it's still running as good as it did out of the box.  Don't see the 11 being much better than it, so I'll wait for next year.  

Yeah I have the X as well and it has been solid.  I see no issues getting at least another year or more out of it.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    jwhjr17 said:
    mca47 said:

Yeah I have the X as well and it has been solid.  I see no issues getting at least another year or more out of it.
    For $1000 how long do you think a phone should last?
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    jwhjr17 said:
    mca47 said:

As long as you want to use it for.  It's already been 2 years and I'll keep it at least another year if not more as long as I don't destroy it accidentally.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    jwhjr17 said:
    mca47 said:

It seems very few people ever buy their phones outright and if they do, they hold tremendous resale value.  Even old iPhones that are beat to hell still sell for a good amount.  
    So even IF you own it, you're likely going to trade it in or sell it and use that money towards an upgrade.  Even IF you own it, you're still kind of "renting/leasing" it.

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    Is anyone even remotely interested in a new Iphone?

For $1000 I sure as hell am not.

Thoughts or should we wait for the "release" later today?
    Nope. iPhones are for idiots. Literally they were designed for the technologically stunted.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Call me what you want but I love the iPhone and would rather have a phone that is easy for me to use instead of having to spend time to learn my phone. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I cannot justify spending so much for a phone. It's just a phone, a phone that will be old in 12 months time.
    I pay $70 per month for my Galaxy S9 which is too much. Never again.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2019

Nope. iPhones are for idiots. Literally they were designed for the technologically stunted.
    I hate comments like this.  If you prefer Android and Samsung and LG and all that, that's fine.  No need to call people idiots or stunted because they like a different phone & operating system than you do.
    I have a degree in mathematics and computer science (far from and idiot or tech stunted) and I much prefer iPhone and iOS.  It's for people who don't want to deal with a bunch of bullshit, bugs, & bloat. It's for people who want operations to be done simply, intuitively, & consistently.  It's for people who want to work smart, not hard.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,123
    For what it’s worth, I’ve had 4 iPhones since the 1st one.... never brought one in for repair, never cracked a screen (otter box) no issues other than battery getting worse after 3 years or so
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

I hate comments like this.  If you prefer Android and Samsung and LG and all that, that's fine.  No need to call people idiots or stunted because they like a different phone & operating system than you do.
    I have a degree in mathematics and computer science (far from and idiot or tech stunted) and I much prefer iPhone and iOS.  It's for people who don't want to deal with a bunch of bullshit, bugs, & bloat. It's for people who want operations to be done simply, intuitively, & consistently.  It's for people who want to work smart, not hard.
    This.
    I find it ridiculous and bemusing how people get so passionate about smartphone loyalties.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

This.
    I find it ridiculous and bemusing how people get so passionate about smartphone loyalties.
    It's just the fanboy mentality.  You can see the same with cars, computers, videogame systems, etc.  It seems like pricier items are more likely to cause this.  Makes them feel better about themselves and their purchases.
    Use, buy, play, drive whatever the fuck makes you happy.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Which "new" features that have been standard on Androids for years did they roll out for twice the price this time?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    edited September 2019
    Still rocking my 6 Plus. Every year I go to CPR (Cell Phone Repair) and replace the battery. It runs like new still after that. The best part is that the battery is only about $40. 

It does everything I need and I personally hate the hassle of a new phone. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Which "new" features that have been standard on Androids for years did they roll out for twice the price this time?
    The ones no one cares about or ever even uses except when making an anti-Apple argument.
  • Options
    I should clarify that you’re *not* wrong, it’s just kind of a trivial issue. :wink:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited September 2019
    I really don't know how people afford to buy new iPhones every damn time they come out.  Or Samsung Galaxies, Notes, etc.  They're all more expensive than building a PC gaming rig.
    I am a faithful galaxy person, and usually upgrade whenever my phone provider contract expires. That is when the provider contacts me and offers me some amazing deal to renew so that I get the newest galaxy for super cheap or "free" as part of my contract, usually along with some bonus accessory for free as well, like VR goggles. Then I sell the old one, which I keep in pristine condition, for hundreds of dollars on Craigslist.
    I won't use any Apple products at all. I absolutely hate how they make sure they aren't compatible with so many things so you are forced to buy yet more Apple products. I won't support a company that does that shit. Also, Apple is no longer an innovator. Now they are just trying to keep up (and not doing it well), and relying almost completely on their marketing strategies.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2019
    I dont have a loyalty... i just loathe the whole apple "model" that creates  a trap circle of self-compatibity.  Its shit.

Ssmsung, google, motorola, lg, etc.  Have at it. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    edited September 2019
    I really don't know how people afford to buy new iPhones every damn time they come out.  Or Samsung Galaxies, Notes, etc.  They're all more expensive than building a PC gaming rig.
    There have been 10 Iphones in 12 years.  I've had 3.  Thw 1, 4 and 6.

There is no way I am upgrading if I don't have to.  The leaps and bounds in tech seem to be getting smaller.  Hell I only bought the 4 because my 1 wasn't usable anymore.

I asked people about the Ipad and Iwatch as to "why you had to have those" and not very good answers...  My phone does it all for me.
    I’ve only ever had the 4 and 6. I was using a flip phone until about 2014.
    I still have the 4 and would still be using it except at the time my 2 year old somehow put it on airplane mode and shoved it in a suitcase. Thought I had lost it. Found it a few weeks later when packing for Christmas and was using the suitcase. I actually like the size of the 4 more. 

The only tempting reason to upgrade is more storage for more music. Would love to fit all my boots on my phone and actually listen to them on rotation,  but that isn’t worth paying the price tag.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's just a phone.  Any company that makes a device that makes it extremely hard for the cops to get in to and refuses to help them is all right by me.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am a faithful galaxy person, and usually upgrade whenever my phone provider contract expires. That is when the provider contacts me and offers me some amazing deal to renew so that I get the newest galaxy for super cheap or "free" as part of my contract, usually along with some bonus accessory for free as well, like VR goggles. Then I sell the old one, which I keep in pristine condition, for hundreds of dollars on Craigslist.
    I won't use any Apple products at all. I absolutely hate how they make sure they aren't compatible with so many things so you are forced to buy yet more Apple products. I won't support a company that does that shit. Also, Apple is no longer an innovator. Now they are just trying to keep up (and not doing it well), and relying almost completely on their marketing strategies.
    Hmmm.  I remember Microsoft being sued and penalized for having an unfair advantage over other companies.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    jwhjr17 said:
    mca47 said:

It seems very few people ever buy their phones outright and if they do, they hold tremendous resale value.  Even old iPhones that are beat to hell still sell for a good amount.  
    So even IF you own it, you're likely going to trade it in or sell it and use that money towards an upgrade.  Even IF you own it, you're still kind of "renting/leasing" it.

I have yet to upgrade/sell my old phones.  I have everyone I've ever bought.

No need to go giving companies your info no matter how good you think you wiped it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I get the same offers, without a contract, from my provider.  And that's what most people do whether on contract or not, and it makes the most sense monetarily.  What I mean is the people whose contracts aren't up, who have to either pay huge upgrade fees because it isn't time to upgrade yet, or who just pay out of pocket because they gotta have the latest & greatest.  iPhone or Galaxy, when you're paying straight up for them, are expensive as fuck!  I don't know how ppl do it every release.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    I still have the 8plus and it works like a champ. I’ll probably upgrade in a year or 2.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    All the cellphones I've ever had:
    Samsung T509 - my first cell phone in 2006.  Thin, candybar footprint.
    Samsung T819 - slider phone, probably my 2nd favorite phone I've ever had.
    iPhone 3G - T-Mobile didn't carry iPhones yet, I bought my friend's used one from AT&T when he upgraded and jailbroke & unlocked it. It worked well enough for what I needed it to do at the time, but it got rather buggy & bloated down with it's 8gb storage as iOS and apps got more resourceful.  When I stopped using it, it was taking 5 minutes to boot up.  (Still works to this day, and boots much faster since I restored it to the original state.)
    Samsung Galaxy S III - Most expensive pile of junk I've ever owned. Coincidentally and untimely for me, T-Mobile finally got iPhones 3 months after I bought this one. I've heard Galaxies have improved over the years, but this one was terrible, and I know quite a few others who had similar experiences as me.  Mine completely died one month after I paid it off & had bugs out the ass for the 25 months it actually worked.  Total brick.  Was fun to take apart and tinker with once it was dead, though.
    iPhone 6s - my current phone.  I had to replace the screen & digitizer a year & a half ago as one of my friends (accidentally) knocked it out of my hand, but it was an easy $50 DIY repair.  Otherwise, it's all original.

Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Is anyone old enough to remember direct connect?  The old Nextel phones?
  • Options
    Oh yeh!  Direct connect, push to talk, walkie talkies, etc.  Reston Town Center in Virginia, there was a parakeet that would hang out & imitate the push to talk noise.  It was hilarious watching everyone grab their phones when the bird went off.