2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    With all the money against the cap they still have tied up with Parkey for next season I'm assuming they'll be going with a rookie or free agent kicker who only makes the minimum.  Either way, had to make this move...Parkey was the worst kicker in the league last year.  
    Draft Justin Yoon out of Norte Dame. In part because I'm a Domer Homer, but the dude is good. Not gonna get you 55 yarders, but he is money under 50. And used to kicking outdoors in the midwest. 
    No thanks.  We need a guy with a strong leg who can kick it 60 yards....no more of this bullshit like with Parkey where his max range was like 50 yards.  

I still think about the double doink every now and then and get very sad.  Damnit.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Time to bump this. Can’t wait for Thursday. Go Bears! 
    bbiggs said:
    Time to bump this. Can’t wait for Thursday. Go Bears! 

It's time!  Was a weird preseason since all the starting spots were pretty much wrapped up before camp even started.  It's a strange feeling coming into the season with a strong roster!  I like that they went with Pineiro for kicker....the dude has a strong leg.  Hopefully it works out.  Can't wait to get it started.
    My hopes for the season (aside from making postseason):

1.  Mitch takes a sizable step forward as a QB.

2.  Roquan continues to establish himself as a team leader on D.

3.  A Rob becomes a dominant, downfield threat (see Jacksonville days).

4.  Nagy tightens up play-calling.  Less trickery and more consistency. 

5.  Miller establishes himself as one of the leagues best slot receivers. 

6.  Montgomery proves to be a 3 down, pass catching back. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    bbiggs said:
    My hopes for the season (aside from making postseason):

1.  Mitch takes a sizable step forward as a QB.
    I hope this is the case too.  Without a step forward, we won't get too deep.  I do think Nagy understands the strengths and weaknesses of MT at this point.
    2.  Roquan continues to establish himself as a team leader on D.
    If he stays healthy, I expect a big year for him.
    3.  A Rob becomes a dominant, downfield threat (see Jacksonville days).
    All comes down to #10.  He was able to open up the secondary in Jacksonville.  I hope MT can reign in his deep throws.
    4.  Nagy tightens up play-calling.  Less trickery and more consistency. 
    Agree 100%.  
    5.  Miller establishes himself as one of the leagues best slot receivers. 
    If healthy...
    6.  Montgomery proves to be a 3 down, pass catching back. 
    I think Monty has the means and ability to be that guy.  Him extending plays is his "Forte", but it could also get him more exposed to injury.  NFL guys are bigger and faster and hit a heck of a lot harder than those guys in college.  He's going to need to learn to be ok with going down from time to time.  

edited September 2019
    Agreed on #6.  Can't take the long term punishment of trying to break every tackle at the pro level.  I like a good, hard runner, but you have to be smart and preserve your body sometimes.
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed on #6.  Can't take the long term punishment of trying to break every tackle at the pro level.  I like a good, hard runner, but you have to be smart and preserve your body sometimes.
    I watched a lot of Monty when he played for Iowa State.  The guy would just bounce off everyone.  It wasn't uncommon for 6-7 guys to have a shot and come up empty.  That said.... I also saw him get completely lit up at times trying to extend those plays when he should have called it quits.  This really bothers me.  I am glad they have some depth at RB, because he's going to take some serious shots.  
    I think it's clear with Nagy's offense that there won't be a RB getting 30-35 touches per game so I hope Montgomery keeps playing the way he plays that got him here.  Holy shit I can't wait for tomorrow night!!
    I think it's clear with Nagy's offense that there won't be a RB getting 30-35 touches per game so I hope Montgomery keeps playing the way he plays that got him here.  Holy shit I can't wait for tomorrow night!!
    True.  I expect Monty and Davis to get a good amount of touches with Cohen sprinkled in.
    I just hope the play calling isn't as predicable as it was last year.  When you saw Howard in there you kind of knew what to expect.  Then when Cohen came in you knew it was going to be a pass or a handoff outside the tackles.  

I too cannot wait for tomorrow's game.  Woo!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Bears cover the spread tonight?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Bears cover the spread tonight?
    Am I too late to say no? Or is it cheating?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Eating some stale Garret’s so doing my part here 
    What a fucking mess this game was. Highly disappointing. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    LOL.

Trubisky sucks. Nagy is a sham and is already spewing bullshit corporate-shill-like excuses. Ryan Pace shouldn't have a job. Giving up multiple draft picks to get Trubisky? Whatever. These chumps should be selling used cars on Western Ave.

- Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
    LOL.

Trubisky sucks. Nagy is a sham and is already spewing bullshit corporate-shill-like excuses. Ryan Pace shouldn't have a job. Giving up multiple draft picks to get Trubisky? Whatever. These chumps should be selling used cars on Western Ave.

Unfortunately, this decision will always be what they get graded on.  Knowing they gave up a king's ransom to move up one spot and take a guy that SF was not even going to take (especially when Watson and Mahomes went later in the draft), will continue to be a deep scar unless they win a Super Bowl.  It is what it is, I guess.  Can't change it so let's hope Mitch pans out and improves at some point.
    What a horrible performance by the offense.  That was embarrassing and pathetic.  It's only 1 game so I'm not going to completely freak out but I really hope we don't have another Rex Grossman situation here where the defense is elite but the offense can't do anything because of a garbage QB.  
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    It’s all in the eyes, they don’t lie

trubisky looks like, always has like a scared lil boy

man up

shame, pretty damn good team
    15 runs and 45 passes is not a good split.  I don't know what the hell Nagy was doing with some of the play-calling....no carries for Cohen and Gabriel/Miller were barely involved until late.  OL struggled too but I think they need to actually run the ball to get those guys going.  Just bad all around from the offense.

I guess it's nice to have 10 days before the next game to get this figured out.  But facing Fangio is going to be tough....I'm sure he knows exactly how to attack Mitch after watching his D practice against him the past couple years.  
    What a horrible performance by the offense.  That was embarrassing and pathetic.  It's only 1 game so I'm not going to completely freak out but I really hope we don't have another Rex Grossman situation here where the defense is elite but the offense can't do anything because of a garbage QB.  
    The fear is that if things don't change, and QUICKLY, that they refuse to admit to it and replace him. Refusing to admit they were wrong (if in fact they were) would be detrimental to an otherwise great team.
    15 runs and 45 passes is not a good split.  I don't know what the hell Nagy was doing with some of the play-calling....no carries for Cohen and Gabriel/Miller were barely involved until late.  OL struggled too but I think they need to actually run the ball to get those guys going.  Just bad all around from the offense.

I guess it's nice to have 10 days before the next game to get this figured out.  But facing Fangio is going to be tough....I'm sure he knows exactly how to attack Mitch after watching his D practice against him the past couple years.  
    The play calling was very questionable.  I kept saying out loud, "run the ball," but it didn't happen.  I also kept asking where the hell Miller was.  Didn't get thrown to. Overall, I peg the offensive performance on Nagy's bad play calling and Mitch's inaccurate passes.  Those are the two biggest weaknesses that unfortunately were there last year as well.
    Flacco vs Trubisky!!  Should be some interesting QB play on Sunday!  Interested to see what the Bears game plan will be since Fangio and some other former Bears coaches are so familiar with Mitch and this offense.  Hopefully they commit to the run this week and the D keeps on doing what they do.

I'm going out to Denver for the game for my annual Bears road trip this weekend.  Looking forward to hitting up a bunch of breweries as well as the local dispensaries....what a great city!
    ^^sounds awesome (except for having to watch those 2 qb's play). Enjoy the trip and the brews! Cheers
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Flacco vs Trubisky!!  Should be some interesting QB play on Sunday!  Interested to see what the Bears game plan will be since Fangio and some other former Bears coaches are so familiar with Mitch and this offense.  Hopefully they commit to the run this week and the D keeps on doing what they do.

I'm going out to Denver for the game for my annual Bears road trip this weekend.  Looking forward to hitting up a bunch of breweries as well as the local dispensaries....what a great city!
    Yeah, Lower Downtown is the shit.
    @ed243421, tell this man the name of the restaurant to hit up!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Already did  =)

#MaineShack

and the dispensaries have great deals/sales during the first and last hour that they’re open 🥦🔥

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

I was just talking about this with a buddy who is a die hard Bears fan and he’s convinced Denver's going to win. It’s the Vic Fangio factor for him. I have a hard time thinking Flacco can do much against our D but I do think Mitch could have problems too.  My solution...RUN THE BALL and run it some more.  Denver’s run D couldn’t stop a nose bleed on Monday night. Commit to pounding Monty and Davis and things will be good.  
    bbiggs said:

I was just talking about this with a buddy who is a die hard Bears fan and he’s convinced Denver's going to win. It’s the Vic Fangio factor for him. I have a hard time thinking Flacco can do much against our D but I do think Mitch could have problems too.  My solution...RUN THE BALL and run it some more.  Denver’s run D couldn’t stop a nose bleed on Monday night. Commit to pounding Monty and Davis and things will be good.  
    This^.
    Tramon Williams summed it up..."We wanted to make Mitch play quarterback. We knew they had a lot of weapons, we knew they were dangerous, we knew all of those things. But we knew if we could make Mitch play quarterback, that we’d have a chance."
    Of anyone knows how to beat Trubisky it's Fangio.  
    They absolutely need to run the ball, and then run it some more.  Even if they are down 14 points going in to halftime...run the ball!
    Make the defense stop the run and maybe it'll open up some opportunities for #10.

I have Denver in both of my fantasy leagues.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  hahaha
    ed243421 said:
    Already did  =)

#MaineShack

and the dispensaries have great deals/sales during the first and last hour that they’re open 🥦🔥

Very good to know!!
    Well, that game was a fn mess.  Hard to believe this is more or less the same team as last year.  

mca47 said:
    Well, that game was a fn mess.  Hard to believe this is more or less the same team as last year.  

It’s 2006 all over again. Amazing defense being held back by the offense. Mitch is simply a more athletic version of Rex. Highly inaccurate passer of the football. 
    bbiggs said:
    mca47 said:

It’s 2006 all over again. Amazing defense being held back by the offense. Mitch is simply a more athletic version of Rex. Highly inaccurate passer of the football. 
    I was watching Mitch close during yesterday's game.  It's been said before that he has a hard time getting through his progressions.  That is an understatement.  Yikes.