The Dream Syndicate

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
edited December 2020 in Other Music
This is one of those lesser known bands that definitely deserves wider recognition and, thus, this thread. 

I didn't know much about Dream Syndicate in the 80's as I was still wavering between my 60's musical tastes by following bands like Jethro Tull, while at the same time discovering some newer sounds like early U2, The Alarm, Violent Femmes, Psychedelic Furs and also pursuing jazz interest, especially the best of the still surviving avante garde leaders like Sun Ra and Cecil Taylor.  Yet, somewhere vaguely in my memory I have this feeling that I saw Dream Syndicate in that decade open for a bigger name band.  The lack of clarity and sureness of that memory could be attributed to a bad night for me (read, "to much smoking and drinking"), or an off night for this band I wasn't familiar with, or both.  Or maybe there is just a part of my psyche that wished to hell I had seen them.  This notion was propagated some time in the early 90's when I came across they're fine album Medicine Show (the live album shown here highlights some the best cuts of that LP), and that desire is now firmly sealed by this recent acquisition, a live album that  is so damn powerful that there is little hope for my worsening tinnitus.  But sometimes bodily sacrifices must be made for those musical experiences that hold on to you as tightly as Steve Wynn's gripe on his fictitious (we hope) stone dead lover. 
The liner notes mentions drummer Dennis Duck a few years ago telling producer Pat Thomas that "this concert was easily among the best that this line-up ever did".  I can believe it.  Wynn sings like a man possessed by demons, angels and the muse all rolled into one.  Guitarist Paul B, Culter cuts some other-worldly guitar lines that Thomas describes as "cutlertronic" (down-right amazing!), and Drummer Duck and bassist Mark Walton keep the burners running hot, hot, hot!  This is amazing rock and roll.  All these years later, the doors are blown open yet again.  Added kudos to Run Out Groove for producing yet another stellar sounding piece of vinyl- you just don't get this good a sound every day. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

OK, one more try.  If this doesn't gain some fans here, you're all lost causes and pathetic.  LOL, you know I'm kidding!  But check it out anyways if you have the time.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    brianlux said:
    I really like both of these, thanks for posting them Brian. I don’t think I’d heard of them before, I’ll need to dig into some more of their stuff
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Dream Syndicate is a great band.....I've never seen them live, but have owned a few of their albums.  They were a big part of the L.A. Paisley underground scene back in the early/mid 80s.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I really like both of these, thanks for posting them Brian. I don’t think I’d heard of them before, I’ll need to dig into some more of their stuff
    Glad you like them, goldrush!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Dream Syndicate is a great band.....I've never seen them live, but have owned a few of their albums.  They were a big part of the L.A. Paisley underground scene back in the early/mid 80s.
    Yes, Paisley Underground it is!  I love some of that stuff- particularly Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade (who's record Explosions in the Glass Palace is one of my favorites of everything.   Here's a great cut from that one:

Strange as this may sound, I think I may have seen them in the early to mid 80's but can't be sure.  I saved a lot of my ticket stubs from over the years but don't have one with them on it but it seems to me I might have seen them.  It was either one of those shows where I was having too much fun to remember or perhaps they were an opening band I wasn't familiar with at the time not having a particularly memorable show.  In any case, I would love to have seen them at Raji's where the live LP was recorded!

This one just arrived today and ohhhh yes,  wow!  Dream Syndicate, How Did I Find Myself Here.  Great stuff!

Oh man, if this doesn't blow my mind I don't know...

...'nough said... check this out!

Yeah, I know, I get carried away, but really, this whole performance is crazy good!

Paul B. Cutlers guitar breaks and solo are pure science fiction here.  And it just gets better to the end.  Oh yeah!

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    This is one band I have never seen live.....I have been in L.A. my entire 54 years, so I have had ample opportunities....no excuse!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    This is one band I have never seen live.....I have been in L.A. my entire 54 years, so I have had ample opportunities....no excuse!

For shame, lol!

Well, this is a sad tale to tell.  The Dream Syndicate is one of my favorite bands.  I always liked their album Medicine Show a lot, but for some reason never pursued the band any further than the occasional listen to that fine record until many years later.  Once I started hearing more of their stuff, I really got (and am) hooked on them big-time. 

So anyway, back in the 80's when I was going to lots of show and seeing tons of bands, it seems to me that I might have seen them open for another band I was into, but I can't verify that.  Or maybe I dreamed I had seen them.  Or maybe I did see them and it was an off night and I wasn't much impressed.  Now, of course, I wish I could go back in time and see them- at least one time each with the early band that had Kendra Smith on bass and Karl Precoda on guitar, and later on with Mark Walton on bass and the amazing Paul B. Cutler on guitar  (drummer Dennis has been with Wynn and company since day one). 

But the latest incarnation is excellent also so maybe after the pandemic is over I'll still have a chance.  The current band- Steve Wynn, songwriter, guitar, lead vocals; Dennis Duck, drums; Mark Walton, bass; and the "baby" in the band, the awesome guitarist, Jason Victor.  THAT would be cool! 

edited December 2020
    I took the plunge a little while back and bought the Steve Wynn box set, Decade.  Well rewarded!  So much great music here.  My favorite of the whole bunch (which is a whole lot!) is this incredible number.  There's a surge in the middle (not so much on my computer speakers but for sure on my stereo) that simply explodes out of the speakers and fires a billion synapses in my brain.  This is such a dynamite song- crank it !

Here are some stills from last nights show.  It was really loud so even with ear plugs and headphones, I could only make it through the first set, but what a cool way to cap off my 57 years of seeing live music!
    IMG
    IMG
    IMG

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Right on! Last show ever for you? 

If these guys ever tour north of the border I will definitely see a show. As you know I’m a recent DS aficionado. Good reminder for me to spin that copy of Medicine Show I bought a while back. I’ll do that tomorrow. Really like the first album, it was on heavy rotation for a few months. 

If these guys ever tour north of the border I will definitely see a show. As you know I’m a recent DS aficionado. Good reminder for me to spin that copy of Medicine Show I bought a while back. I’ll do that tomorrow. Really like the first album, it was on heavy rotation for a few months. 

Last show?  Never say never again, but if I have any sense, probably.  I might consider an acoustic show which would be cool.  As much I totally live live rock music, it just takes too much out of my auditory senses.  Like today, wow!  My tinnitus is screaming like a jet engine running for take off.  But no regrets- I got to see the best bands in the world even though both were  post ear injury-- Pearl Jam and The Dream Syndicate (not to mention so many others pre ear injury).  I really am one lucky S.O.B.!

I hope to get get a chance to see the Dream Syndicate.  They really do give it their all, their new lead guitarist, Jason Victor, is super great, and the songs are fantastic! And if you get a chance, check out their The Complete Live at Raji's.  It's a killer live album from their middle period when the amazing guitarist Paul B. Culter was with them.  Rocks big time!

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:

Last show?  Never say never again, but if I have any sense, probably.  I might consider an acoustic show which would be cool.  As much I totally live live rock music, it just takes too much out of my auditory senses.  Like today, wow!  My tinnitus is screaming like a jet engine running for take off.  But no regrets- I got to see the best bands in the world even though both were  post ear injury-- Pearl Jam and The Dream Syndicate (not to mention so many others pre ear injury).  I really am one lucky S.O.B.!

I hope to get get a chance to see the Dream Syndicate.  They really do give it their all, their new lead guitarist, Jason Victor, is super great, and the songs are fantastic! And if you get a chance, check out their The Complete Live at Raji's.  It's a killer live album from their middle period when the amazing guitarist Paul B. Culter was with them.  Rocks big time!
    Such a shame bud. Ear injury is a real thing, especially when you have extra curricular activities like concerts.  I went to see DOA last night. I haven’t completely ruined my own ears yet, but I’m sure that’s coming. Everything is a little muffled this morning lol. 

brianlux said:

Such a shame bud. Ear injury is a real thing, especially when you have extra curricular activities like concerts.  I went to see DOA last night. I haven’t completely ruined my own ears yet, but I’m sure that’s coming. Everything is a little muffled this morning lol. 

I would not worry too much.  Some hearing loss is normal and tinnitus is very common.  The kind of auditory nerve damage/ hyperacusis I have is very uncommon.  In the almost 29 years I've been dealing with this, I've only personally ever met one person I know for sure who has the same issues, and a couple others with similar but lesser conditions.  I would still recommend earplugs for loud shows though. 
    To be honest, I don't understand shows needing to be so loud.  I saw Willie Nelson and family live in 2005 and the sound was great.  I didn't even need earplugs and the music sounded like audiophile quality.   It was amazing, Willie was amazing.  Today, with rock bands, super loud is a thing.  It's what people want.  Invest in anything auditory/ hearing related.  In another 20 years you will be fabulously wealthy.

Warning: unapologetic promotion here, lol.
    Seriously, if any of you are not familiar with The Dream Syndicate, check out the new documentary "How Did We Find Ourselves Here?"  I'll bet you will probably become a fan!  It's great!
    May be an image of 2 people and text