Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Does anyone know how many minutes of high intensity workout per day is required for heart health?
    The media here keep saying to aim for 30 minutes of excercise per day for heart health, but I think this is for moderate intensity.
    I'm averaging about 150bpm on my spin bike and do this for 30 minutes. Not sure if doing it for 15-20 minutes per day is adequate?
    The most recent recommendations were basically that anything is better than nothing.  That's enough for heart health improvement, but push harder and do more and you won't be sorry.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Most trainers that I know say at least 20 minutes. If you're doing a HIIT workout, I would shoot for a 20-30 minute workout, including warm-up and cool down. I agree with gambs though. The harder you work and the more you do will only benefit you.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thanks. If 20 minutes is adequate then that is fine by me. 30 minutes seems to take forever. Even though my average bpm is in the 150s, in the back end of my session I'm constantly at 165 to 172bpm.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I'm trying to increase my reps when doing pushups. I've gotten to 20 then my reps have been decreasing since. 17, 11, and 10 today.
    Wtf is going on?
    My PB from earlier this year was about 24.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I'm trying to increase my reps when doing pushups. I've gotten to 20 then my reps have been decreasing since. 17, 11, and 10 today.
    Wtf is going on?
    Did you take a break?  If you don't use it, you surely will lose it. 
    My overall strength hasn't changed, but my pull-up/chin-up rep count is at 10-12 right now, down from 18-22 last summer...because I've been neglecting them because they are hard lol

What is the time frame for the decreased output?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Thought I'd give an update, since I believe the last time I posted anything in here was when I broke my ankle while bouldering. 

Clearly, the ankle thing was a downer. What should have been a straightforward recovery was not, due to some complications. Two weeks after the fracture my foot looked like a bright red football and I was diagnosed with cellulitis, which had to be treated with antibiotics. At six weeks repeat xrays showed "non-union", which in simple terms means "just not healing". I didn't start to get bone healing until about 12 weeks, but by that point my ankle joint was really stiff and I had months of physio to try to get back strength and range of motion. I still have some evidence of tendonopathy, but much reduced.

On the bright side, I started cautiously cycling just over three months after the fracture, and started back climbing at about four months. Not surprisingly, I had lost a lot of strength in addition to the flexibility, but I've managed to gain most of it back. In two days it will be eight months since the fracture, and I'm back to doing pretty much everything I want to do, physically. I'm back to climbing 5-11s, and I can cycle or hike basically as far as I want to, without much pain. For the first time the other day I noticed that I can walk over uneven ground, that puts all sorts of different stresses on the ankle joint, without pain. 

I don't think I would have gotten back to where I am without the help of my physiotherapist, who was awesome. This was actually my second physio; the first was a dud, and likely set me back some in the early weeks, so I had to kick him to the curb. So my message to everyone is, if you get injured, keep looking until you find a great physio to work with, and then go to it! The process kind of sucks, because every appointment and every exercise involved pain, but this is really a "no pain, no gain" situation. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Thought I'd give an update, since I believe the last time I posted anything in here was when I broke my ankle while bouldering. 

Clearly, the ankle thing was a downer. What should have been a straightforward recovery was not, due to some complications. Two weeks after the fracture my foot looked like a bright red football and I was diagnosed with cellulitis, which had to be treated with antibiotics. At six weeks repeat xrays showed "non-union", which in simple terms means "just not healing". I didn't start to get bone healing until about 12 weeks, but by that point my ankle joint was really stiff and I had months of physio to try to get back strength and range of motion. I still have some evidence of tendonopathy, but much reduced.

On the bright side, I started cautiously cycling just over three months after the fracture, and started back climbing at about four months. Not surprisingly, I had lost a lot of strength in addition to the flexibility, but I've managed to gain most of it back. In two days it will be eight months since the fracture, and I'm back to doing pretty much everything I want to do, physically. I'm back to climbing 5-11s, and I can cycle or hike basically as far as I want to, without much pain. For the first time the other day I noticed that I can walk over uneven ground, that puts all sorts of different stresses on the ankle joint, without pain. 

I don't think I would have gotten back to where I am without the help of my physiotherapist, who was awesome. This was actually my second physio; the first was a dud, and likely set me back some in the early weeks, so I had to kick him to the curb. So my message to everyone is, if you get injured, keep looking until you find a great physio to work with, and then go to it! The process kind of sucks, because every appointment and every exercise involved pain, but this is really a "no pain, no gain" situation. 
    I'm sorry to hear about your healing challenges, oftenreading. It sounds like your ankle is getting better.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

I'm sorry to hear about your healing challenges, oftenreading. It sounds like your ankle is getting better.
    Thank you, Ms Haiku!  I’m doing fine now. 
    rgambs said:
    Wtf is going on?
    My overall strength hasn't changed, but my pull-up/chin-up rep count is at 10-12 right now, down from 18-22 last summer...because I've been neglecting them because they are hard lol

Been doing them every day
    rgambs said:
    Wtf is going on?

Are you feeling unable to complete the reps because your lungs give out or because your muscles give out?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Wtf is going on?

Are you feeling unable to complete the reps because your lungs give out or because your muscles give out?
    My muscles.
    Today I did two sets of 10 followed by two sets of 8 then a number of sets of 6. I kept going until I was failing at 3 reps. I ended up doing 63 push ups. My arms were like jelly and I'm slightly sore now.
    I am running my first ever race today, a 5K called the Dracula Dash benefitting a local outdoor theater.  Hoping to finish in a semi-respectable 25 minutes, but it's 85 degrees and humid so I won't be pushing it.  
    Good luck, gambs!
    I didn't get my official time but it was sub 25:00 so I'm happy with it.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    rgambs said:
    I didn't get my official time but it was sub 25:00 so I'm happy with it.
    Right on! Congratulations, rgambs.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I have not exercised in a week due to bad side effects of a new antidepressant. I hope to get back to it today.

Thanks to these statins I am on I have not been able to do more than 10 push ups.
    I feel like my muscles have atrophies and are always sore.
    There goes my hope to get back into weight training over summer.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Thanks to these statins I am on I have not been able to do more than 10 push ups.
    Have you tried mixing in some Vitamin D?
    When I went on a statin for cholesterol years ago I experienced lots of soreness/joint aches.  Doc suggested some Vitamin D.  Solved the issue.
    Vitamin D is good for you, anyway, especially if you don't spend hours per day in the sun.  I take 4000IU per day of D3.

Over the counter stuff, easy to try, you might want to give it a go if you have not been taking any.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Yeah, soreness is a side effect of statins. I had that early on after starting on one, but went away as my body adjusted to the medication.

I'm not saying that the statins aren't causing muscle atrophy, but that's extremely rare to occur and would most likely be accompanied by organ (liver, kidney) damage/failure. 

TA, I know you previously questioned your protein intake. If you're doing strength exercises and not getting enough protein, that could also cause the soreness and make you feel you aren't progressing.
    Have you tried mixing in some Vitamin D?
    When I went on a statin for cholesterol years ago I experienced lots of soreness/joint aches.  Doc suggested some Vitamin D.  Solved the issue.
    Vitamin D is good for you, anyway, especially if you don't spend hours per day in the sun.  I take 4000IU per day of D3.

Over the counter stuff, easy to try, you might want to give it a go if you have not been taking any.
    Hey, yeah I've been taking vitamin D capsules for years. Thanks anyways.
    Yeah, soreness is a side effect of statins. I had that early on after starting on one, but went away as my body adjusted to the medication.

I'm not saying that the statins aren't causing muscle atrophy, but that's extremely rare to occur and would most likely be accompanied by organ (liver, kidney) damage/failure. 

TA, I know you previously questioned your protein intake. If you're doing strength exercises and not getting enough protein, that could also cause the soreness and make you feel you aren't progressing.
    I'll check with my GP. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Bump 

I was forced to stop running around 6 months ago to stop the inflammation of plantar faciitis (and really just to be able to walk again and not limp). I've been a runner my entire life and never experienced this before. 

This is what I did:
    -Steroid pack
    -Cortisone shots
     -Stopped running (easy to do because I         couldn't walk)
    -Bought another new pair of very expensive running shoes with inserts from Fleet Feet. (500 miles per pair is what I heard in class today)
    -Minimized walking/hiking/jogging for 3 months. It sucked. I gained weight.

I started stretching my calves all the time. I'm in structural bodywork school as well so before quarantine I was also getting intense bodywork on my calf muscles ( specifically soleus and gastrocnemius). Stretch these muscles. I can give you specific stretches if you would like. Just contact me through 10C.

After 5-6 months I can walk without a limp and even jog/run again. I am cautious to run long distances right now but short distances I am fine with. I am back to my regular body weight and I've had no new injuries.

Please share any experience with plantar fasciitis and anything that helped you recover.

I've heard dry needling helps. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,813
    Bump 

I was forced to stop running around 6 months ago to stop the inflammation of plantar faciitis (and really just to be able to walk again and not limp). I've been a runner my entire life and never experienced this before. 

This is what I did:
    -Steroid pack
    -Cortisone shots
     -Stopped running (easy to do because I         couldn't walk)
    -Bought another new pair of very expensive running shoes with inserts from Fleet Feet. (500 miles per pair is what I heard in class today)
    -Minimized walking/hiking/jogging for 3 months. It sucked. I gained weight.

I started stretching my calves all the time. I'm in structural bodywork school as well so before quarantine I was also getting intense bodywork on my calf muscles ( specifically soleus and gastrocnemius). Stretch these muscles. I can give you specific stretches if you would like. Just contact me through 10C.

After 5-6 months I can walk without a limp and even jog/run again. I am cautious to run long distances right now but short distances I am fine with. I am back to my regular body weight and I've had no new injuries.

Please share any experience with plantar fasciitis and anything that helped you recover.

I've heard dry needling helps. 

Glad you are back to running. Haven’t had plantar fasciitis. However, late last year I had really bad ankle pain that would not seem to go away. Of course I continued to run on it like a fool which just made it worse. This went on for a few months. Finally, I forced myself to take a few weeks off. It cleared up. Back to running. I never ran super long distances - four miles is my max. But during this lockdown I have at least been trying to run 3.5 miles 3 times a week. Getting out there really helps. My mood is always a bit better on my running days. I wish you continued recovery. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    No...ankle pain isn't fun either!

Like you said, exercise is such an amazing mood stabilizer.  I am so happy and grateful for this one daily escape.. Especially right now!

Good job laying off the ankle and just be careful running. Especially if you have gone from 2-3 times a week to much more in a short time frame. Listen to your body and  lay off when you need to. I wish I had listened to my foot pain earlier and not tried to just run through it! 

Not being able to go to the gym has been frustrating. Trying to do what I can from home.
    Yeah, no gym has been rough.  I have a Bowflex Max trainer, a tiny bench, an EZ curl bar, and 2 resistance bands.  Only 110 lbs of plates.  It's been tough adapting, but I'm getting there.  The bands are the round ones with handles, but one has a broken handle.  I tied it to the ceiling for pull-down actions.  The bands were hard to adapt to, you really have to change the way you move to suit them, but now that I've got it dialed in, I am finding that you can really do some work.  It's limited, but effective within it's limits.
    Been running outside when it's warm enough and dry, and I really miss squatting with weight.  Been doing Bulgarian split foots since my lungs blow out before my legs on lunges and squats without weight.

I started my summer weight cut at 188 on Feb 1.  I'm down to 172, 12 lbs to go by end of May, so I'm literally exactly on schedule. 1.75lbs/week and it's starting to show finally.  Those first few weeks are tough, but I'm well accustomed to it by now.  Arm veins and Abs are just starting to peek out with perfect posture, lighting, and time of day...another week and half or so and they will be peeking out all the time, by May 1st should be clearly visible, with arm veins always visible up to the shoulder.  
    I'm proud of staying on track diet-wise in quarantine, it's very hard not to eat when you are home all day without as much distraction.  I know a ton of people are putting on weight right now for that reason, so come summer I will feel extra proud.  

Good luck to everyone, do what you can and try to let the exercise you can get give you peace of mind!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, no gym has been rough.  I have a Bowflex Max trainer, a tiny bench, an EZ curl bar, and 2 resistance bands.  Only 110 lbs of plates.  It's been tough adapting, but I'm getting there.  The bands are the round ones with handles, but one has a broken handle.  I tied it to the ceiling for pull-down actions.  The bands were hard to adapt to, you really have to change the way you move to suit them, but now that I've got it dialed in, I am finding that you can really do some work.  It's limited, but effective within it's limits.
    Been running outside when it's warm enough and dry, and I really miss squatting with weight.  Been doing Bulgarian split foots since my lungs blow out before my legs on lunges and squats without weight.

I started my summer weight cut at 188 on Feb 1.  I'm down to 172, 12 lbs to go by end of May, so I'm literally exactly on schedule. 1.75lbs/week and it's starting to show finally.  Those first few weeks are tough, but I'm well accustomed to it by now.  Arm veins and Abs are just starting to peek out with perfect posture, lighting, and time of day...another week and half or so and they will be peeking out all the time, by May 1st should be clearly visible, with arm veins always visible up to the shoulder.  
    I'm proud of staying on track diet-wise in quarantine, it's very hard not to eat when you are home all day without as much distraction.  I know a ton of people are putting on weight right now for that reason, so come summer I will feel extra proud.  

Good luck to everyone, do what you can and try to let the exercise you can get give you peace of mind!
    :lol: to the bolded part.  But really, great going!

Still holding firm to 108.  Sheesh!  Working with bands too, in absence of the gym.  Not quite the same as leg presses, but close enough.

And...there's always walking.  I'm envious of those of you who run, but it still feels good to get some music going, go outside, and see the beautiful trees in our concrete jungle.

Like you said, exercise is such an amazing mood stabilizer.  I am so happy and grateful for this one daily escape.. Especially right now!

Good job laying off the ankle and just be careful running. Especially if you have gone from 2-3 times a week to much more in a short time frame. Listen to your body and  lay off when you need to. I wish I had listened to my foot pain earlier and not tried to just run through it! 

Agreed. The endorphins help tremendously. I have learned my lesson about not taking time off to let an injury heal. I have also had to make the switch from running primarily on a treadmill at the gym to running out on the streets. So far so good in terms of no pain - but I can feel the difference. I am trying to adjust my stride a bit. The good thing is that I have been listening to Gigaton while running. YEAHH!!!

MF117973 said:

Agreed. The endorphins help tremendously. I have learned my lesson about not taking time off to let an injury heal. I have also had to make the switch from running primarily on a treadmill at the gym to running out on the streets. So far so good in terms of no pain - but I can feel the difference. I am trying to adjust my stride a bit. The good thing is that I have been listening to Gigaton while running. YEAHH!!!

The first 4 are just damn perfect for a 2-2.5 mile run!
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

The first 4 are just damn perfect for a 2-2.5 mile run!
    My 3.5 mile run usually takes me up to Comes Then Goes. I am starting to associate my distance by what song is on ;)