Options

Podcasts What are you listening to?

I walk a few miles a day and want to either learn a new language(is their a podcast for that?) or listen to great stories and interviews.

Recently I listened to Joe Rogan interview David Lee Roth, Andrew Young and Colin O'Grady.

What are some recommendations for listening out there?

Tell me what you are listening to and why I would like it.

Go!!!

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend
    https://apple.co/2qVfSYq
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited March 2019
    Listened to Rogans newest with Ron White. It was a fun listen. When Rogan is getting drunk with guests in studio I love the sound of the ice and mixing of the drinks and the sipping. Just started getting into some Marc Maron, listened to most of Kurt Vile interview, listened to the Gary Clark Jr interview. Listening to some Malcom Gladwell on a suggestion. I listen to Bill Maher’s show. I really enjoy the history story telling type podcasts such as The Wondery American History Story Tellers. Podcasts are actually kind of a new thing for me in the last couple months, so I’m excited. So many podcasts, so little time. 

The David Lee Roth interview on Rogan was fucking great.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I listen to:

WTF w/ Marc Maron
    ID10T w/ Chris Hardwick
    Last Podcast on the Left
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,012
    Hi! said:
    Listened to Rogans newest with Ron White. It was a fun listen. When Rogan is getting drunk with guests in studio I love the sound of the ice and mixing of the drinks and the sipping. Just started getting into some Marc Maron, listened to most of Kurt Vile interview, listened to the Gary Clark Jr interview. Listening to some Malcom Gladwell on a suggestion. I listen to Bill Maher’s show. I really enjoy the history story telling type podcasts such as The Wondery American History Story Tellers. Podcasts are actually kind of a new thing for me in the last couple months, so I’m excited. So many podcasts, so little time. 

That Roth interview was so painful to listen to.  I rank that and the Maynard interview as the two worst interviews I've had to listen to.

What on earth did you enjoy about the Roth interview?
  • Options
    deadendp said:

What the hell is this?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    What's this about?  does he interview people or is he trying to be funny all the time?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

What the hell is this?
    It goes through Boxer song by song, lyrics being discussed by the hosts and thus far, Matt and Aaron from The National. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/2361933002
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

What the hell is this?
    It goes through Boxer song by song, lyrics being discussed by the hosts and thus far, Matt and Aaron from The National. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/2361933002
    Not my thing but thank you for the sugestion!
  • Options
    Hi! said:

That Roth interview was so painful to listen to.  I rank that and the Maynard interview as the two worst interviews I've had to listen to.

What on earth did you enjoy about the Roth interview?
    I just think Roth is quite a character. I like his storytelling abilities. I liked hearing about his different life experiences such as when he was an emt. I honestly couldn’t of told you anything about Roth before the interview, just interesting learning a little about him.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    igotid88 said:
    What's this about?  does he interview people or is he trying to be funny all the time?
    Interviews and he doesn't try. he is funny
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    only Joe Rogan. i wish he'd go a bit harder on some of the more controversial figures, but mostly they're all quite insightful and engaging. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    In my listening library:

Invisibilia - I enjoy this one a lot. 5th Season just rolled out. Talks a lot about human behavior and the invisible forces behind who we are and what we do.
    This American Life - Weekly episodes of various topics about life, society and current events
    In the Dark - True crime season long podcast. The first season was amazing, mostly because the crime happened a few hours from where I grew up while I was a kid. Still an amazing story either way.
    Lore - The podcast that inspired the series. Pretty entertaining one off dark historical stories.
    RadioLab - They always have some good stories
    On Being - Leans towards personal inquiry about the arts, social healing and science
    Modern Love - Self explanatory. My wife and I listen to these on summer days in the garden. Good stories and not all happy endings
    Dirty John - Another good true crime story - I think they made a show out of this as well

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I might try doing more MOTH family hour.  I love that show.
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Glass case of emotion 
    Door bumper clear
    It could happen here
    No bullshit news
    Crimetown 
    Fantasy is podcast 

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Rogan is hit or miss, to me.  Has good guests 
    The Bertcast is my favorite
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    edited April 2019
    Rogan, is best when he has people other than comedians. gets too fucking stupid with other comics.  some of the mma episodes are good.

WTF , can have some really insightful convos with folks. feel he sometimes doesnt let the guest answer before he jumps in with an assumption answer.

Moth
    This American life

Michael Steele Podcast for the political. production values leave a bit to be desired. And for fucks sake Michael, lose the jazz DURING the episode
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So I've listened to a few MOTH shows.

Guy that raises a pet chicken-hysterical.
    Teenage kid from a war torn country is really good at paintball-amazing story.

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited April 2019
    As far as wanting to learn a new language, there is a podcast called Coffee Break (insert language) that teaches you languages. Not sure how good it is, but I ran across it while looking for the same thing. 

There are so many podcasts that it can be overwhelming and these are ones I've tried and enjoyed some for long periods, some for short periods. 

I like true crime podcasts so they are listed first - These are in my library

Indivisible - wrongful convictions with lawyers, ties to Adnan Syed

True Crime Obsessed - add humor to the stories

Truth and Justice - dude quit his job in like the 3rd season to concentrate on helping wrongfully convicted people. Gets deep in the weeds and is very passionate and deliberative - used to be a fire arson investigator. 

Crime Writers on Crime - true crime

Dirty John  - this was mentioned - there was a mini series and the podcast is an in depth look at the show's theme - I watched the miniseries too. Dude was a serial narcissist taking advantage of women. Interesting insight into the mind of how he was able to get into the lives of very intelligent, accomplished women. 

Root of Evil - this is a podcast about the unsolved Black Dahlia murder anchored by the great grand children, son and granddaughter of the person the police believed committed the murder. It ties in with the surrealist painting community in a bizarre way. It was tied to a short mini series on TNT  called I Am The NIght, which I watched. 

In the Dark - mentioned - true crime
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Events, Random Stuff, Humor 

Pod Save America - current events by Jon Favreau and other ex Obama aides with journalists, comedian interviews on the Trump administration current main occurrences. 

This American LIfe - really good podcast - it's the one that had Serial spin off from it.

This is Why We Drink - crime and paranormal - weird interesting

Ted Talks Podcast

Stuff You Should Know - learn a little bit about just about everything

The Hilarious World of Depression - you can cry or you can laugh

Bagman - Maddow won an award for this series about Spiro Agnew's crimes in the White House.

Still trying to find a really good one on meditation and the mind and psychology. Been through a bunch I didn't like. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Obsessed with 2 Bears 1 Cave right now.
    So damn dumb, but my sort of humor.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,912
    Ologies with Alie Ward. Very enjoyable and informative.  She goes in-depth on various topics with an expert in that field.  One of my favourite episodes was:

So many cool topics to explore.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Interesting!
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    I still really enjoy Beautiful Anonymous and Stuff You Should Know.  Both are top notch in my opinion.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    two guys I know do this podcast called the Geekdom Cave. Talk about nerdy shit like comics and movies. No idea if it's any good, but being high in a room with one of them is usually quite entertaining. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

A few I've been listening to lately:

The Vinyl Guide - This actually doesn't have all that much to do with vinyl, and has more to do with interviewing people in the music industry. W/ 180+ episodes and counting I can pretty much guarantee he's had some guests you'll enjoy listening to. Episodes I've enjoyed have been with Billy Howerdel, Greg Werckman (Mike Patton's partner with Ipecac Recordings) and Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle / Secret Chiefs 3 / Web of Mimicry records.

Podcast Croissant - great if you're a Faith No More geek like myself

Live on Four Legs - I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread yet (unless I missed it) - this is a fun Pearl Jam podcast where they breakdown individual shows. I've only listened to the episodes for shows I've been to (they've done 30+ since last fall) but they've been a fun way to relive the shows.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,912
    Just started the 1619 Project podcast.  Only two episodes so far, but utterly engrossing. 
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Turned out a Punk! Damien from Fucked Up interviews various people with current or past affiliations in punk rock. I highly recommend this podcast! 

https://audioboom.com/channel/turned-out-a-punk
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Lol

• Options

Really enjoyed this. Kind of a behind the scenes look at the episodes.

• Options
    Hi! said:

Really enjoyed this. Kind of a behind the scenes look at the episodes.
    That's interesting!