MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I was pretty pumped when I got that Todd Van Poppel rookie card. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • I was pretty pumped when I got that Todd Van Poppel rookie card. haha
    91 Upperdeck I believe?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    How about some Brien Taylor rookies? Did he ever suit up in a ML game?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    No. He was the first or only #1 pick to not make the bigs I think 
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Is there a 30 for 30 on Anthony Young? If not, that would be one I would tune in for. 
    THAT is a great idea if there isn't.

If anyone didn't bother to read the article Young lost a record 27 outings of relief in a row.

That was the mets during those years.  They became "Dem Bums" like the Dodgers were aptly called in the 40/50's.
    Still are dem bums, ha. A 30 for 30 on him would be cool or generation k would be cool too 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

pjhawks said:
    So, the Mets loss yesterday was pretty bad.  But look what their Triple-A affiliate Syracuse Mets also did:
    Two teams, same day, same franchise, same type of meltdown. That's impressive!
    that's wild.  Mets fans have to be killing themselves over their bullpen.  i'd be going nuts.
    Killing ourselves is putting it lightly. I wanna jump off the empire state building and then get run over by a box truck. Diaz is a god awful bum and mets gave up a legit prospect for him. If Diaz ever pitches again at citi field, he's gonna be run out of town faster than Jeff Kent was. 
    Looking forward to this weekend.
    🙄🖕🖕<---just kidding, should be fun weekend 

• How about some Brien Taylor rookies? Did he ever suit up in a ML game?
    There is only 1 Brien Taylor card to have and it is the Topps Gold set and it came signed.

I still want one, lol.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjhawks said:
    So, the Mets loss yesterday was pretty bad.  But look what their Triple-A affiliate Syracuse Mets also did:
    that's wild.  Mets fans have to be killing themselves over their bullpen.  i'd be going nuts.
    Does no one remember Anthony Young?
    https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/072eb2fd
    I remember him but oddly I don't remember that stat. 
    From the article: "Dusty Baker was his favorite player..."  Poor guy was doomed from childhood.
    I watched sportscenter updates every night to make sure he pitched and lost, lol.  It was comical.
    I remember watching them cover him on this week in Baseball. I think they talked with the mother or somebody related to the current record holder at that time. Impossible to find that clip or information on it though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    From the article: "Dusty Baker was his favorite player..."  Poor guy was doomed from childhood.
    I watched sportscenter updates every night to make sure he pitched and lost, lol.  It was comical.
    I remember watching them cover him on this week in Baseball. I think they talked with the mother or somebody related to the current record holder at that time. Impossible to find that clip or information on it though.
    TWIB was forever changed once Mel Allen passed.  It was never the same and it showed by it not lasting very long.

I'd love a modern version.

"This week in TWIB notes!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    TWIB was forever changed once Mel Allen passed.  It was never the same and it showed by it not lasting very long.

I thought they did bring it back?  Perhaps it was another show that tried to copy.
    TWIB was awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:

It's hard to have TWIB now since we can see all the highlights a minute after it happened. 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:

It's hard to have TWIB now since we can see all the highlights a minute after it happened. 
    I wouldn't mind seeing a recap of the week.  People celebrate too much now and forget what someone did two days ago.

Recaps are good and shouldn't only be found on youtube...
  • tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:

I thought they did bring it back?  Perhaps it was another show that tried to copy.
    TWIB was awesome.
    When Mel Allen passed they did have another TWIB on tv with a different commentator but it wasn't the same.

In 1996, Mel Allen died.[3] Warner Fusselle, who had previously contributed the "TWIB Notes" and "TWIB Ticker" segments as well as substituting for Allen frequently in later years,[4][5] and filled in for Allen when needed [6] ultimately took over for the remainder of the season.[7] In 1997, the recently retired Ozzie Smith[8] became the new permanent host with Fusselle serving as the show's announcer and main contributor.[9][10] TWIB had pretty much moved into being more of cable-syndicated show as in Detroit for instance, it was shown on PASS (Pro-Am Sports System). By this point, however, TWIB appeared to have run its course and the 1998 season proved to be its last.
    There is only 1 Brien Taylor card to have and it is the Topps Gold set and it came signed.

I still want one, lol.
    What if I told you all of your hopes and dreams can be had for 35 bones?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/192507585742
  • How about some Brien Taylor rookies? Did he ever suit up in a ML game?

I still want one, lol.
    What if I told you all of your hopes and dreams can be had for 35 bones?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/192507585742
    I know they are out there for cheap, lol!  I actually want a graded one.

It is a piece of history in card folklore.

I still want one, lol.
    I know they are out there for cheap, lol!  I actually want a graded one.

It is a piece of history in card folklore.
    Indeed, all the rage back then!  You could grab a loose card and have it graded, but then you risk getting less than a 10 which is highly likely after 27 years.
  • Good lord! '92 was 27 years ago.
    Yup.

I sent in a 97 and 98 card recently and both came back gems.

Because of those grades I now have 2 very, very expensive cards!
    Good lord! '92 was 27 years ago.
    Yup.

I sent in a 97 and 98 card recently and both came back gems.

Because of those grades I now have 2 very, very expensive cards!
    Nice!!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

I still want one, lol.
    Was Taylor a #1 Overall pick by the NYY who got into a fight(at a Bar?) and tore his shoulder up? or was he just a complete bust?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    cutz said:

I still want one, lol.
    Was Taylor a #1 Overall pick by the NYY who got into a fight(at a Bar?) and tore his shoulder up? or was he just a complete bust?
    The former. Wasn't the same after that fight
    I miss igotid88
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Speaking of touted prospects, I remember having like 4 of this card:

It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    tbergs said:

His cards were worth some cash back in the day!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:

I had that card also. He wasn't too bad. I do remember he played for the phils for a few years.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:

I had that card also. He wasn't too bad. I do remember he played for the phils for a few years.
    My brother was heckling GJ one game....all clean but riding him about his time with the Mets, and we were four or so rows behind the dugout.
    He hit a Homer late in the game and stopped on his way back into the dugout, points directly at my brother, and yells "that was for you!" with a big smile.
    Thought that was pretty cool 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2019
    tbergs said:

Another bum, f him
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited September 2019
    tbergs said:

I was in attendance when he hit for the cycle off of Hideo Nomo. Between that and all the media surrounding Nomo, it was quite an interesting night.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Rafael Devers anyone?

Does Acuna get 40/40?  Man I hope so!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    tbergs said:

I was in attendance when he hit for the cycle off of Hideo Nomo. Between that and all the media surrounding Nomo, it was quite an interesting night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_B9w02lxk

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly