~ REM appreciation thread ~

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Does anyone know what time the National go on stage at? I'm going to the REM show tonight and the tix say the doors are at 6:30.

I just don't wanna get there too early, but don't want to miss the National either.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Does anyone know what time the National go on stage at? I'm going to the REM show tonight and the tix say the doors are at 6:30.

I just don't wanna get there too early, but don't want to miss the National either.

i would love to know this also... anyone?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    Anyone have a rough estimate on what time the show ends? Going to the Garden show and need to know whether or not I'll have to go to Grand Central or Penn depending on what time it ends. Thanks
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    audiodave wrote:
    DOCUMENT!!!

Reckoning.

Murmur.

:)

I will start with Sian's suggestion and then get onto these. don't know if I'll have them all before the gig but I will try :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • hey guys my friends bailed on me so I have some extra seats for Saturday nights show in Jones Beach. Please pm me if you are interested and everybody enjoy the tour!
  • Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    Begin the Begin

Saw EV at the VFC finale in DC join the band on stage for a great rendition of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XaoF8bDMcM

I'll be checking them out on Philly, an off day for PJ, and hoping for an EV appearance.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Bird888 wrote:
    I'll be checking them out on Philly, an off day for PJ, and hoping for an EV appearance.

:( that won't be happening at Twickenham...

*cries*
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    REM is the best thing going right now, tour-wise. They are playing a ton of old rarities.
    IGNORELAND, LIVE!!!
  • Bird888 wrote:

:eek: Looks like you were right... and it was for Begin The Begin too!...you lucky son-ova...*grumble grumble* :p

Basically, I'm insanely jealous :o

Was it as good as I could imagine? or BETTER?! :eek:

Photos or videos would be good, if anyone has them yet! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Major props to REM for an amazing show. After running from Florida thru the Roo ( usual day there started 2pm and went to 7am next morning) thru Columbia and Va. Beach, I really needed a sledge hammer show to keep my going. REM delivered big time! Ignoreland was awesome. Man On The Moon with a beautiful full moon evening was shivers up the spine. Just two highlights of many. And of course, Begin The Begin. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce Mr. Eddie Vedder". Kick ass with Ed on several verses and punctuating the end with a scissor jump. To huge applause. No pics I'm afraid. I have a camera phone; utterly useless from the distance to my last row, last seat far right undercover, K-98.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Blind3 wrote:
    Major props to REM for an amazing show. After running from Florida thru the Roo ( usual day there started 2pm and went to 7am next morning) thru Columbia and Va. Beach, I really needed a sledge hammer show to keep my going. REM delivered big time! Ignoreland was awesome. Man On The Moon with a beautiful full moon evening was shivers up the spine. Just two highlights of many. And of course, Begin The Begin. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce Mr. Eddie Vedder". Kick ass with Ed on several verses and punctuating the end with a scissor jump. To huge applause. No pics I'm afraid. I have a camera phone; utterly useless from the distance to my last row, last seat far right undercover, K-98.

oh wow! Very cool
  • Rival-67Rival-67 Posts: 27
    Excellent show last night...and now I'm even more stoked for Pearl Jam tomorrow night. Highlights (for me) included "Lower Wolves", "These Days", "Turn You Inside Out", "Hollow Man", "Departure", "Electrolite", "Let Me In", "Find the River", "Ignoreland", "Fall on Me", and, of course, "Begin the Begin".
    What are you running from?
    Taking pills to get along
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
    Drifting off and doing all the things...
    That we... all... do
    Rival-67 wrote:
    Excellent show last night...and now I'm even more stoked for Pearl Jam tomorrow night. Highlights (for me) included "Lower Wolves", "These Days", "Turn You Inside Out", "Hollow Man", "Departure", "Electrolite", "Let Me In", "Find the River", "Ignoreland", "Fall on Me", and, of course, "Begin the Begin".

Would have thought this tour is their most diverse for awhile... Loved These Days as the opener. Great to hear something from green thats not orange crush (turn you..) and ignoreland absolutely rocked the house. Find the River was beautiful but have to say Ed and Begin the Begin topped off a great night.

The National weren't half bad either.

• rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    REM is the best thing going right now, tour-wise. They are playing a ton of old rarities.
    IGNORELAND, LIVE!!!

Correcting myself: Now that PJ is going hard, REM is the SECOND best thing going right now!
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Wow, this is quite a drastic change of venue!
    REM have moved their Cardiff show at the end of August from the Millenium Stadium, capacity 74000, to the Cardiff International Arena, capacity 7500. I know last time they did the stadium they hung a curtain down halfway because only half the tickets sold, but crikey! This means that only 1/10 of the tickets have sold.
    When did a promoter ever get something this wrong?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Wow, this is quite a drastic change of venue!
    REM have moved their Cardiff show at the end of August from the Millenium Stadium, capacity 74000, to the Cardiff International Arena, capacity 7500. I know last time they did the stadium they hung a curtain down halfway because only half the tickets sold, but crikey! This means that only 1/10 of the tickets have sold.
    When did a promoter ever get something this wrong?

That's not strictly true.

They've sold about 18,000 of the 35,000 tickets available so have decided it's in everyones best interests to downgrade to a more intimate venue. They're contacting people in the order they bought tickets and offering them the chance to change their tickets or have a refund. We were fortunate enough to have been offered an exchnage and jumped at the chance....seeing them in the arena is going to be amazing!

They are going to offer those who can't get into the arena discount tickets to either Southampton or London instead.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Whoot! only 17 days til Twickenham!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Any MURMURS about that rumored fall tour?
  • Any MURMURS about that rumored fall tour?

New Orleans Voodoo fest - 26th October 2008
    Mexico City - 18th November 2008

so far...

Wouldn't surprise me if they did some more dates around these :)

• https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1168941547863367683?s=21

Monster 25 11/1. 1LP, 2LP (regular album + new mix), 5CD/1BR. 

Cant wait. 
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1168941547863367683?s=21

Cant wait. 
    Awesome news...finally! Now where's that Tom Petty Wildflowers 25th reissue announcement?!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1168941547863367683?s=21

Cant wait. 
    Great album with, to me,  one of the most visually disturbing images ever.  It plays tricks with my brain.  I seriously cannot but glance at it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Excited for this release. Now, another few years for the reissue of New Adventures and my REM studio vinyl collection will be finished...
  • A remixed Kenneth is up on services. It’s definitely remixed, that’s for sure.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Definitely one of my favourite REM albums
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    From what I've read, the vocals are turned up, and the guitars are turned down, on the remix.
  • They took the buried vox out and moved them upfront. The tremelo was turned down and the low levels brought up. They also cut 20 seconds off as well as the "don't fuck with me" line.

The mix is good, not crazy about the lyric change
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

#Monster25

We’re excited to announce the 25th anniversary reissue of the band's acclaimed ninth album, Monster. Remastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, the album will be available on various physical formats, as well as digitally, on November 1

A five-CD, one-Blu-ray deluxe box set will include the original album, a special 2019 remix from Monster producer Scott Litt, a CD of previously unreleased demos from the album and a complete live 1995 performance captured in Chicago. The accompanying Blu-ray will offer Monster in both hi-resolution audio and 5.1 Surround Sound, as well as a host of video content: the 90-minute film Road Movie, which documents R.E.M.’s 1995 tour, and all six music videos from Monster

The collection will be packaged in a five-and-a-half-inch portfolio book, featuring liner notes by journalist Matthew Perpetua—with new insight from band members—and archival photographs. An expanded edition of Monster, offering the original album and the 2019 remixed version, will also be available on two 180-gram vinyl LPs or two CDs, both featuring alternate cover art originally created 25 years ago by longtime R.E.M. designer Chris Bilheimer. The remastered album will also be available as a standalone 180-gram vinyl LP, with Bilheimer’s original Monster art.

Digital editions of the album will mirror the complete deluxe audio content—remasteredremixed and live— available across all streaming and download platforms. Digital breakouts will also offer the remastered and remixed album in hi-resolution (88.1/24). 

An advance single release of “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (Remix)” is available to stream or download today: listen and pre-save the album here. In this remix, original Monster producer Scott Litt offers a completely fresh take on the song, giving fans a new way to experience the single that launched Monster around its original release.

You can pre-order #Monster25 as a Deluxe Box Set, on CD or LP here. 

Read the entire press release with various tracklists as well as more details in the coming weeks at REMHQ.com

DELUXE BOX SET TRACKLISTING:

Disc 1 (CD) – Monster (Remastered)

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? 
    2.     Crush With Eyeliner 
    3.     King Of Comedy 
    4.     I Don’t Sleep, I Dream 
    5.     Star 69 
    6.     Strange Currencies 
    7.     Tongue 
    8.     Bang And Blame 
    9.     I Took Your Name 
    10.  Let Me In 
    11.  Circus Envy 
    12.  You    

Disc 2 (CD) – Monster (Demos) 

1.     Pete’s Hit  
    2.     Uptempo Mo Distortion  
    3.     Uptempo Ricky  
    4.     Harlan County with Whistling 
    5.     Lost Song 
    6.     AM Boo 
    7.     Mike’s Gtr 
    8.     Sputnik 1 Remix 
    9.     Black Sky 4-14  
    10.  Revolution 4-21 
    11.  Rocker with vocal 
    12.  Time Is On Mike’s Side 
    13.  1Experiment 4-28 no vocal 
    14.  Highland Fling 4-29 
    15.  Cranky 4-29   

Disc 3 (CD) – Monster (Remixed)  

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (Remix) 
    2.     Crush With Eyeliner (Remix) 
    3.     King Of Comedy (Remix) 
    4.     I Don’t Sleep, I Dream (Remix) 
    5.     Star 69 (Remix) 
    6.     Strange Currencies (Remix) 
    7.     Tongue (Remix) 
    8.     Bang And Blame (Remix) 
    9.     I Took Your Name (Remix) 
    10.  Let Me In (Remix) 
    11.  Circus Envy (Remix) 
    12.  You (Remix)   

Disc 4 (CD) – Live in Chicago 6/3/95 – Monster 1995 Tour (Part One) 

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?
    2.     Circus Envy 
    3.     Crush With Eyeliner 
    4.     Near Wild Heaven 
    5.     Welcome To The Occupation 
    6.     Undertow 
    7.     I Took Your Name 
    8.     Strange Currencies 
    9.     Me In Honey 
    10.  Revolution 
    11.  Tongue 
    12.  Man On The Moon 
    13.  Country Feedback 
    14.  Monty Got A Raw Deal   

Disc 5 (CD) – Live in Chicago 6/3/95 – Monster 1995 Tour (Part Two) 

1.     Losing My Religion 
    2.     You 
    3.     Departure 
    4.     Orange Crush 
    5.     Get Up 
    6.     Star 69 
    7.     Let Me In 
    8.     Everybody Hurts 
    9.     So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) 
    10.  Pop Song 89 
    11.  Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)   

Disc 6 (Blu-ray

1.     Monster – 5.1 Surround Sound 
    2.     Monster – Hi-Resolution Audio 
    3.     Road Movie (concert film) 
    4.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (music video)
    5.     Crush With Eyeliner (music video)
    6.     Star 69 (music video)
    7.     Strange Currencies (music video)
    8.     Tongue (music video)
    9.     Bang And Blame (music video)

Pre-order #Monster25 as a Deluxe Box Set, on CD or LP here. 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • They have made it 8 years now without performing one reunion show.  They stuck to their guns.