MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Has anyone mentioned how awful the uniforms were this weekend?
    They were terrible. I usually pick up some new players weekend gear, but I definitely passed this year.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mfc2006 said:
    They were terrible. I usually pick up some new players weekend gear, but I definitely passed this year.
    You usually do? Like the jerseys? You buy those with the nicknames on them?

I hate this every year. This year was the fucking worst. Dumb gimmick. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I didn’t think the white Cards uniforms were awful. Could be a cool look if they added a little splash of color back in.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mfc2006 said:

It's 3 games, 1 weekend, out of a full season where they cater to kids, you curmudgeon!! :tongue:
    mfc2006 said:

It's 3 games, 1 weekend, out of a full season where they cater to kids, you curmudgeon!! :tongue:
    What kid in his right mind would wear any of that garbage?!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes, the uniforms were god awful this year.  They should have let the players decorate them or something. At least put team color numbers/lettering.  Something to calm down the Spy Vs. Spy aesthetic.
    Not to mention, in today's political climate in the United States, I don't think it was the brighest idea to pit whites vs blacks.
    mfc2006 said:

What kid in his right mind would wear any of that garbage?!
    I mean the weekend itself.  Yes, the uniforms were awful this year (should have been like the Cubs/Pirates unis last weekend), but I don't think it's fair to say the concept of the Player's Weekend is a dumb gimmick.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The players all love it.  Almost every player they  have on the CC/Rucco podcast when asked what they would change about the game is letting the players be themselves more and they use players weekend as an example.

The unis this weekend were horrible though, especially since the Yanks were playing the Dodgers.  Would have enjoyed the classics a lot more.
    mfc2006 said:

The hats. I have too many Astros hats, but I liked the funky colors.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The players all love it.  Almost every player they  have on the CC/Rucco podcast when asked what they would change about the game is letting the players be themselves more and they use players weekend as an example.

The unis this weekend were horrible though, especially since the Yanks were playing the Dodgers.  Would have enjoyed the classics a lot more.
    Cliffy did you happen to see this article?
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27433679/how-players-using-uniform-numbers-break-mlb-unwritten-rules

It mentions that the players are looking to be "themselves" more.  Never really knew this about them either.  I guess everyone wants to build their own "brand" now?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    How does Brian Anderson of the Marlins have a better WAR than Bryce Harper?
    His WAR was great the year he won MVP and after that hasn’t even been close.

I am really beginning to believe he doesn’t have it in him anymore.

He will give you 30/100 every year but not when it counts apparently.

But his numbers look slightly better than Anderson's. That's why I'm confused about it being 1.1 lower?
    I'm guessing it's because Anderson is much better defensively (at least according to DWAR -- I haven't seen enough of either to really know if that's true)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27433679/how-players-using-uniform-numbers-break-mlb-unwritten-rules

It mentions that the players are looking to be "themselves" more.  Never really knew this about them either.  I guess everyone wants to build their own "brand" now?
    I’d argue that baseball lets them be themselves more than the other teams already. 

This has always bugged me, but I don’t know why there is no league mandated rule that says you cannot wear your pants down past your cleats. It looks like shit. 

chinese-happy.jpg

I’d argue that baseball lets them be themselves more than the other teams already. 

This has always bugged me, but I don’t know why there is no league mandated rule that says you cannot wear your pants down past your cleats. It looks like shit. 

I did not see that, but will read.

Baseball players to a man seem to look at the NBA as the gold standard for this.

Agreed. I’m a manager, it’s high socks for everyone like a god damn ball player. Drives me nuts that’s my favorite player and one of the really, really good guys of the league wears his pants all sloppy like that. Long pants are ok Jeter-style but that baggy, dragging underneath the cleats crap is terrible. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    mfc2006 said:
    I think the best part is that he seems to think he was just going to run to 1st after that, no big deal. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    The Punisher continues.
    A record 14 bombs in first 28 games
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mfc2006 said:
    I think the best part is that he seems to think he was just going to run to 1st after that, no big deal. 
    I like that Johnson still had the mind to show the ball to the ump.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mfc2006 said:
    I like that Johnson still had the mind to show the ball to the ump.
    Get the out first then commence with the beating :lol:

Agreed. I’m a manager, it’s high socks for everyone like a god damn ball player. Drives me nuts that’s my favorite player and one of the really, really good guys of the league wears his pants all sloppy like that. Long pants are ok Jeter-style but that baggy, dragging underneath the cleats crap is terrible. 

Should be a rule where you have minimum of one inch of stirups showing. Other leagues are a lot more strict when it comes to this stuff. 

Cesar Hernandez wears a Sixers shirt under his jersey and he leaves the top few buttons unbuttoned all the time so everyone can see the Sixers logo.  I know, I know this is such a minor thing. But I'm a weirdo who cares about the aesthetics of sports. And this stuff, along with the  pants hanging over their cleats and all these weird chains hanging off their necks....it all just looks so amateurish to me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    igotid88 said:
    As awesome as this is, it's also a stark reminder of how few players in today's MLB can so easily lay down such a perfect bunt like that. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Should be a rule where you have minimum of one inch of stirups showing. Other leagues are a lot more strict when it comes to this stuff. 

Cesar Hernandez wears a Sixers shirt under his jersey and he leaves the top few buttons unbuttoned all the time so everyone can see the Sixers logo.  I know, I know this is such a minor thing. But I'm a weirdo who cares about the aesthetics of sports. And this stuff, along with the  pants hanging over their cleats and all these weird chains hanging off their necks....it all just looks so amateurish to me. 
    i've never quite understood how having the pants tucked all the way to the cleats is comfortable to even run in.  i agree bring back showing of the stirrups.  as a kid there was nothing cooler on a baseball field that having those stirrups showing.  it just seemed so...cool
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:

i've never quite understood how having the pants tucked all the way to the cleats is comfortable to even run in.  i agree bring back showing of the stirrups.  as a kid there was nothing cooler on a baseball field that having those stirrups showing.  it just seemed so...cool
    I don't get that either(pants tucked down to the cleats). Why wear pants when you need to run? Makes no sense to me. When we played in HS we had our pants up to just below the knees so the stirrups showed and, it felt like it anyway, ran faster because of that>LOL
    igotid88 said:
    This is obviously horrible but figured it was the case with how hard they tried to keep to autopsy secret. 

That said, I can’t put myself in their situation buuutt it’s always someone else’s fault

In a statement, Skaggs' family said they were "heartbroken" by the cause of death.

"That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much," the statement read.

“We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them."

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Justin Verlander with his third career no-hitter today
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • edited September 2019
    Justin Verlander with his third career no-hitter today
    Took my 2 year old son to his first baseball/blue jays game today and that’s what he witnessed. I’m a monster 
    Post edited by LeafsJaysCubsRaptorsFan on