Oasis

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019

STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS (2000). Great album. Love the more experimental nature of it. The biggest sin is the band changing their classic logo. And what a blatant The Doors rip off ”Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is” is.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345

STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS (2000). Great album. Love the more experimental nature of it. The biggest sin is the band changing their classic logo. And what a blatant The Doors rip off ”Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is” is.

Not sure if anything from this album merits 5 stars...

1. Go Let It Out (4.5 stars)

2. Gas Panic! (4 stars)

3. Fuckin' In The Bushes (4 stars)

4. Roll It Over (3.5 stars)

5. Who Feels Love (3 stars)

6. Sunday Morning Call (3 stars)

7. Where Did It All Go Wrong? (3 stars)

8. Put Yer Money Where Your Mouth Is (2.5 stars)

9. I Can See A Liar (2 stars)

10. Little James (1.5 stars - at best)

The b-side "Let's All Make Believe" is arguably better than every one of the above tunes 

Admittedly, I feel the world was a bit too hard on SOTSOG. It doesn't have the big hits like the 1990s albums but it's still a solid record for the most part. I feel the opposite about the next one.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Hate the production on it, but yeah the 3 star plus tunes are great. There were 2 or 3 b sides that were better than those bottom 3 tracks
  • Hate the production on it, but yeah the 3 star plus tunes are great. There were 2 or 3 b sides that were better than those bottom 3 tracks
    I love the inclusion of electronic sounds and synths etc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited August 2019

HEATHEN CHEMISTRY (2002). ”Stop Crying Your Heart Out” is beautiful, ”Songbird” is surprisingly cute and ”The Hindu Times” is just damn cool. Back in 2002 I always heard the chorus in ”The Hindu Times” as ”’Cause God, give me a role in your Rock ’n’ Roll band” though which is proof I should have a god damn rock band.

HEATHEN CHEMISTRY (2002). ”Stop Crying Your Heart Out” is beautiful, ”Songbird” is surprisingly cute and ”The Hindu Times” is just damn cool. Back in 2002 I always heard the chorus in ”The Hindu Times” as ”’Cause God, give me a role in your Rock ’n’ Roll band” though which is proof I should have a god damn rock band.
    We quite agree on this one!
    1. Hindu Times (5 stars)
    2. Stop Crying Your Heart Out (4.5 stars) 
    3. Little By Little (3.5 Stars)
    4. Songbird (3 stars)
    5. Force of Nature (3 stars)
    6. Hung in a Bad Place (3 stars)
    7. Born on a Different Cloud (2.5 stars)
    8. She Is Love (2 stars)
    9. Probably All In My Mind (2 stars)
    10. Better Man (1 star) ... Pearl Jam's is waaaaaaay better.
  • rummy said:

We quite agree on this one!
    1. Hindu Times (5 stars)
    2. Stop Crying Your Heart Out (4.5 stars) 
    3. Little By Little (3.5 Stars)
    4. Songbird (3 stars)
    5. Force of Nature (3 stars)
    6. Hung in a Bad Place (3 stars)
    7. Born on a Different Cloud (2.5 stars)
    8. She Is Love (2 stars)
    9. Probably All In My Mind (2 stars)
    10. Better Man (1 star) ... Pearl Jam's is waaaaaaay better.
    Oh, I seemed to have forgot to include She is Love. It's cheeky. 3/5

• DON’T BELIEVE THE TRUTH (2005). Great production. Nice garagey sound to the album. Some great songs on here too but nothing that hits it out of the park. 
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    saw these guys in 2008? awesome show. too bad they hate each other. if there's ever a band that won't reconcile, i'm guessing it will be this one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2019
    anyone know where i can get all the bsides? 

edit: never mind. it appears i have them all. i had no idea. lol
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

anyone know where i can get all the bsides? 

edit: never mind. it appears i have them all. i had no idea. lol
    The ones from the 2000's aren't really worth it (aside from "Let's All Make Believe").
    saw these guys in 2008? awesome show. too bad they hate each other. if there's ever a band that won't reconcile, i'm guessing it will be this one. 
    Maybe...I feel Noel's lost it a bit of late. I really liked his first two solo (HFB) records but the recent work isn't quite there. 
    edited August 2019

DON’T BELIEVE THE TRUTH (2005). Great production. Nice garagey sound to the album. Some great songs on here too but nothing that hits it out of the park. 
    A consistent album but, as you mentioned, nothing that deserves five stars.
    1. Lyla (4.5 stars)
    2. The Importance of Being Idle (4 stars)
    3. Guess God Thinks I'm Abel (3.5 stars)
    4. Turn Up The Sun (3.5 stars)
    5. A Bell Will Ring (3.5 stars)
    6. Keep The Dream Alive (3 stars)
    7. Mucky Fingers (3 stars)
    8. Part of the Queue (2.5 stars)
    9. Love Like A Bomb (2.5 stars)
    10. Meaning of Soul (2 stars)
    11. Let There Be Love (2 stars)
    Post edited by rummy on
    classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Indeed. No real stand out tracks (compared to earlier work) but the album itself flows pretty nicely. 
    funny, i just watched supersonic doc. the "whole being greater than the sum of its parts" was something noel actually said in the movie. haha
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

they sure did a number on their first drummer. then near the end you find out why. so much about oasis i never knew until this movie. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. 
    rummy said:
    Indeed. No real stand out tracks (compared to earlier work) but the album itself flows pretty nicely. 
    Absolutely. 
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited August 2019
    The video is pure cringe and reminds me of videos happy amateurs make for their first song.

The song is nice though.

And I revel in Liams audacity. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    his voice sounds awful.
    edited August 2019
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    .... .... .... uhm.....er.....WTF?

• DIG OUT YOUR SOUL (2008). Oasis could have ended with a far worse album. This has some really great and fun songs. Too bad we will never see another one. 
  • Ten years ago today the band split up in france.

DIG OUT YOUR SOUL (2008). Oasis could have ended with a far worse album. This has some really great and fun songs. Too bad we will never see another one. 
    It'll happen...probably not for another 10 years but it will
    edited August 2019

DIG OUT YOUR SOUL (2008). Oasis could have ended with a far worse album. This has some really great and fun songs. Too bad we will never see another one. 
    1. Shock of the Lightning (5 stars) .... The lyrics may be a bit hokey (hey, it's Oasis) but I adore this song ... their best since the 1990s, for sure.
    2. Bag It Up (4.5 stars) ... not a single? never played live? WTF?????
    3. The Turning (4 stars)
    4. Falling Down (3.5 stars)
    5. Waiting for the Rapture (3 stars)
    6. To Be Where There's Life (3 stars)
    7. I'm Outta Time (3 stars)
    8. Get Off Your High Horse Lady (2 stars)
    9. Ain't Got Nothing (2 stars)
    10. Soldier On (2 stars)
    11. The Nature of Reality (1.5 stars)

Crap...we're done! :-(
  • rummy said:

It'll happen...probably not for another 10 years but it will
    Wanna bet? ;)