Oasis

Comments

• Noel on Liams Glastonbury gig:
    And just wait until we get to Liam’s recent solo performance at the festival. “I’d read somewhere that it was a headline set in the making, so I thought: ‘Fucking hell, better watch this,’” he says. “I don’t think I’ve ever been so embarrassed for a man in my entire life. He’s pulled off the incredible magic trick of making those Oasis songs sound weedy and thin. And he looked like he was having the worst day of his life, walking around in what looks like a pair of my son’s pyjamas, shouting into a mic about some perceived injustice ... if you can’t sing ’em, don’t play ’em!”

Noel on Liams new documentary:
    Noel hasn’t seen Liam’s recent documentary, As it Was, although he plans to: “Because I’ve heard it’s hilarious.” The film is clearly a PR job for Liam’s side of the story, although it is an entertaining watch due to Liam’s onscreen charisma and the fact it shows a different side to the singer – one who displays self-doubt and admits to being lost after the breakup of Oasis. Noel isn’t the focus, but he is portrayed as aloof and uncaring, the brother who wasn’t there for Liam when he was struggling through his divorce from Nicole Appleton.

Noel bursts out laughing when I bring this up: “I wasn’t there for him? Well, he wasn’t there for his wife either, was he?”

Noel on Liam attacking his daughter:
    Noel’s tone changes dramatically when we talk about Liam. Most of his outrageous comments are said for a laugh, but when it comes to Liam he seems genuinely angry. What did he mean when he accused his brother of intimidating women?

“That’s not the first time he’s sent texts to my daughter, or left threatening phone calls on my wife’s answering machine. So when he’s threatening my wife via my teenage daughter, I’m thinking, you know, if you weren’t a rock star, if you were just an uncle who worked in a garage, you’d be getting a visit from the police. But because you’re a rockstar, wahey, you get away with that shit.”

Noel on getting back together with Liam:
    Has this gone past the point of you two ever making up?

Noel nods: “Because I’ve got one fatal flaw in my otherwise perfect makeup as a human being, which is I don’t forgive people. Once you start texting my children – and his two sons have been going for her, too – and legitimise my wife being bullied on the internet, where she has to shut down Instagram accounts because of the vile shit being written about her and my daughter, then it ain’t happening.”

Noel on when he last saw Liam:
    “At the Etihad Stadium when City won the league about three years ago. Whenever I see him, he’s actually very polite, and you can see in his eyes that he’s just about to piss his trousers. But then he comes up with these scenarios of when we meet, that only ever take place in his own head.” He puts on his Liam voice again: “Ah fuckin’ went over and flicked him in the ear and said: ‘Eh, fuckin’ ’ell, keep it dangerous, you cunt.’”

Noel on Liams music:
    Has he heard Liam’s solo material?

“I don’t listen to the albums, because I can’t stand his voice. But I hear it on the radio.”

What does he think?

“I think it’s unsophisticated music. For unsophisticated people. Made by an unsophisticated man. Who’s giving unsophisticated orders to a load of songwriters who think they’re doing the Oasis thing. Which goes back to what I was saying before. You can turn the Marshall amp up to 12 all you want and do a bit of glam, but Oasis words were about including people, everyone in it together. And what I hear from him is just a load of bile ... angry nonsense.”

It is time to wrap up, but Gallagher’s still going.

“I reckon if I put my two sons in a room – one’s nine, one’s 11 – for about 45 minutes, they could probably muster up something better than that new single of his,” he says.

Noel on Oasis reunion:
    “It boils down to, on a personal level, fuck him. But also, artistically, why do it again? You know, I was watching the news the other night and he was on there, threatening to break my jaw – live on the ITV news! Isn’t there a law against that? – and it’s about an Oasis reunion and he’s like: ‘Me bags are packed, mate.’ And I’m thinking: ‘Who are you expecting to call you? Me?’ Nobody wants to be in a band with him apart from a load of indie Championship players – journeymen, who are in it for all the crisps they can eat.”

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I love Noel.
  • pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    I love Noel.

I do too! I'm not sure why there is some Liam comeback recently, but it's a bit ridiculous. I cant remember one song off of As You Were.  

• I love Noel.

I do too! I'm not sure why there is some Liam comeback recently, but it's a bit ridiculous. I cant remember one song off of As You Were.  

Wall of Glass
    Bold
    Some boring song called "China Town"

I remember three :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Going through all Oasis albums in order.

DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994). Just a fun rock and roll album with a positive vibe. Rock ’n’ Roll Star, Live Forever and Cigarettes & Alcohol are legendary songs. Supersonic and Slide Away not far behind. The Blur-esque Digsy’s Dinner is a cute throwaway. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited August 2019

DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994). Just a fun rock and roll album with a positive vibe. Rock ’n’ Roll Star, Live Forever and Cigarettes & Alcohol are legendary songs. Supersonic and Slide Away not far behind. The Blur-esque Digsy’s Dinner is a cute throwaway. 
    There's no denying the greatness of those first five songs you've mentioned. I absolutely love them all and find it difficult to rank them amongst each other. All of these get 5 stars from me. After that...
    6. Columbia ...maybe goes on a bit too long but still an epic tune. (4.5 stars)
    7. Shakermaker ... also drags on a bit too long but still too catchy to ignore. Coca Cola, anyone? (4 stars)
    8. Bring It On Down ... solid rocker - almost a "punk" tune. (3.5 stars)
    9. Up In The Sky ... good tune but maybe a bit of a let down after the greatness of Live Forever. (3.5 stars)
    10. Digsy's Dinner ... a "cute throwaway" indeed. The C&A b-sides are better. (3 stars)
    11. Married with Children... an okay closer (sorta like a hidden track). DM would've been fine to end with Slide Away, however. (3 stars)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • rummy said:

There's no denying the greatness of those first five songs you've mentioned. I absolutely love them all and find it difficult to rank them amongst each other. All of these get 5 stars from me. After that...
    7. Shakermaker ... also drags on a bit too long but still too catchy to ignore. Coca Cola, anyone? (4 stars)
    9. Up In The Sky ... good tune but maybe a bit of a let down after the greatness of Live Forever. (3.5 stars)
    10. Digsy's Dinner ... a "cute throwaway" indeed. The C&A b-sides are better. (3 stars)
    11. Married with Children... an okay closer (sorta like a hidden track). DM would've been fine to end with Slide Away, however. (3 stars)
    If you hit the next-arrow on the instagram embedded thing in my post you can see my individual scores for the songs.

pretty similar to yours I guess:

rummy said:

If you hit the next-arrow on the instagram embedded thing in my post you can see my individual scores for the songs.

pretty similar to yours I guess:

rummy said:

There's no denying the greatness of those first five songs you've mentioned. I absolutely love them all and find it difficult to rank them amongst each other. After that...
    6. Columbia ...maybe goes on a bit too long but still an epic tune.
    7. Shakermaker ... also drags on a bit too long but still too catchy to ignore. Coca Cola, anyone?
    8. Bring It On Down ... solid rocker - almost a "punk" tune.
    9. Up In The Sky ... good tune but maybe a bit of a let down after the greatness of Live Forever.
    10. Digsy's Dinner ... a "cute throwaway" indeed. The C&A b-sides are better.
    11. Married with Children... an okay closer (sorta like a hidden track). DM would've been fine to end with Slide Away, however.
    I saw those...that's why I did my own ratings. :-) 
    edited August 2019

...essential bootleg from that era.
    (Edit: I'm not trying to condone paying money for this - I believe digital files are widely available from this unofficial release.)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • rummy said:

...essential bootleg from that era.
    (Edit: I'm not trying to condone paying money for this - I believe digital files are widely available from this unofficial release.)
    Mostly listened to the Familiar to Millions album with the Neil Young cover growing up. But wasn't the biggest Oasis fan - other than following them through their MTV videos/Singles. 

Having on Live at Earls Court 1995 now though at work.
    edited August 2019

Major player in Oasis story emerges in wake of ‘Supersonic’ doc

Lim says she and Gallagher stayed in touch as the tour continued, meeting when Oasis shot the video for the song “Supersonic” at the Cabazon Dinosaurs in Southern California. They would also talk on the phone regularly, with Lim answering the phone with a line from the film “Bye Bye Birdie”: “What’s the story, morning glory?”

She often had to console him as the brothers fought nonstop with each other and just about anyone else who entered their orbit, including bandmates, relatives and associates.

Lim’s long-distance relationship ended when Gallagher met his future wife, Meg Matthews, at the tail end of 1994 (they married in 1997, divorced in 2001).

When Oasis returned to San Francisco to perform at the Fillmore in early 1995, Lim found Gallagher to be distant. But hoping to maintain their relationship, she told him, “It’s OK, I won’t look back in anger. I know we’re just friends.”

/.../

Watching “Supersonic,” Lim says she wasn’t disappointed by Gallagher’s callous attitude about their time together.

“Keith Richards can remember the name of his milkman from when he was 8 years old,” she says. “I don’t know what’s going on with Noel, and that’s fine. I was a part of something that touched so many people. That’s good enough.”

edited August 2019

(WHAT’S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? (1995). Just one year after the debut Oasis releases an album as good, if not better. More polished but with the same cute ”whatever”-relationship to lyrics. 
    edited August 2019

(WHAT’S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? (1995). Just one year after the debut Oasis releases an album as good, if not better. More polished but with the same cute ”whatever”-relationship to lyrics. 
    Fabulous 2nd album...right up there with Vs, Nevermind, and The Bends for sophomore efforts and equally as good as Definitely Maybe (I go back and forth on which one I prefer).
    Song Rankings/Ratings (which are a little different than yours, SC).
    1. Some Might Say (5 stars)
    2. Morning Glory (5 stars)
    3. DLBIA (5 stars) 
    4. Champagne Supernova (4.5 stars)
    5. Wonderwall (4 stars) ...I'm a little sick of the studio version but love the live performance on Familiar To Millions.
    6. Hello (4 stars)
    7. Roll with It (3.5 stars)
    8. Cast No Shadow (3.5 stars)
    9. She's Electric (3 stars)
    10. Hey Now! (3 stars)
    Just like some Pearl Jam fans like to ask, "What about the b-sides?" Will you be considering them upon a review of The Masterplan compilation? Surely you'll have to squeeze songs like "Whatever" and "Round Are Way" when covering that one!
  • rummy said:

Fabulous 2nd album...right up there with Vs, Nevermind, and The Bends for sophomore efforts and equally as good as Definitely Maybe (I go back and forth on which one I prefer).
    3. DLBIA (5 stars) 
    5. Wonderwall (4 stars) ...I'm a little sick of the studio version but love the live performance on Familiar To Millions.
    6. Hello (4 stars)
    10. Hey Now! (3 stars)
    You know that the version on Familiar to Millions is a Kiss-Alive esque blend of two versions? One or two lines of the lyrics is lifted from another show. 

• BE HERE NOW (1997). Noel hates it. Liam loves it. I’m more leaning towards Liam. Might be bloated. But bloated doesn’t have to be bad. Be Here Now, Stand by Me and D’You Know What I Mean are the standouts.
    rummy said:

3. DLBIA (5 stars) 
    6. Hello (4 stars)
    10. Hey Now! (3 stars)
    You know that the version on Familiar to Millions is a Kiss-Alive esque blend of two versions? One or two lines of the lyrics is lifted from another show. 
    I have no problem with "Frankenstein" tracks. I make them all the time with my Pearl Jam compilations.

BE HERE NOW (1997). Noel hates it. Liam loves it. I’m more leaning towards Liam. Might be bloated. But bloated doesn’t have to be bad. Be Here Now, Stand by Me and D’You Know What I Mean are the standouts.
    Definitely a step in the wrong direction when compared to the previous two albums but still solid.
    Song Rankings/Ratings:
    1. Stand By Me (5 stars) - love it!
    2. Don't Go Away (4.5 stars) - the SNL and Letterman performances are great
    3. I Hope, I Think, I Know (4 stars) - their most underrated song (even by you, SC!)
    4. My Big Mouth (3.5 stars) - a musical monster
    5. D'You Know What I Mean? (3.5 stars) - I quite like the "rethink."
    6. Be Here Know (3 stars) - Enjoyed seeing LG perform it a few years ago. A bit too long, however.
    7. It's Getting Better Man (2.5 stars) - another one that drag on despite the cool riff
    8. All Around The World (2.5 stars) - catchy but waaay too long
    9. Magic Pie (2.5 stars) - Noel? you too singing the long songs?
    10. The Girl In The Dirty Shirt (2 stars) - too quirky for me
    11. Fade In/Out (2 stars) - Nope (oh, and too long)
    I'm glad I don't have to consider the "Reprise."
    They should have included "Stay Young" on BHN. It's better than most of the included tracks. 
  • rummy said:
    rummy said:

3. DLBIA (5 stars) 
    6. Hello (4 stars)
    10. Hey Now! (3 stars)
    I have no problem with "Frankenstein" tracks. I make them all the time with my Pearl Jam compilations.
    Just a fun thing about the song. No one was allowed to improvise lines on official release for Noel I guess :) Poor Liam.

• THE MASTERPLAN (1998). Uneaven compilation with a bunch of fillers. But no one can deny Acquiesce being one of Oasis best songs. And why isn’t Whatever on here? 
    Woah. No dude. Yr wrong.
    Acquiesce, Masterplan, Talk Tonight, Listen Up, Half The World Away, Stay Young are all Top 15 Oasis tracks. Plus theres 2-3 more on here that would make the top 25 (Underneath the sky, Its Good To Be Free, Rocking Chair). Plus it doesn't even have Round Our Way. 
    Its basically assumed that DM, WTSMG and Masterplan are the best 3 oasis albums. Like most people who fuck with them think that.

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Acquiesce, Masterplan, Talk Tonight, Listen Up, Half The World Away, Stay Young are all Top 15 Oasis tracks. Plus theres 2-3 more on here that would make the top 25 (Underneath the sky, Its Good To Be Free, Rocking Chair). Plus it doesn't even have Round Our Way. 
    Agreed, Fade Away is a great tune too!

No Step Out either, which is a blatant Stevie Wonder rip off, but still so good. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam

THE MASTERPLAN (1998). Uneaven compilation with a bunch of fillers. But no one can deny Acquiesce being one of Oasis best songs. And why isn’t Whatever on here? 

Man. You're a bit tough of this one! ;-)

1. Acquiesce (5 stars)
    2. Masterplan (5 stars)
    3. It's Good To Be Free (4 stars)
    4. Half The World Away (4 stars)
    5. Stay Young (4 stars)
    6. Rockin' Chair (3.5 stars)
    7. Fade Away (3.5 stars)
    8. Listen Up (3 stars)
    9. Talk Tonight (3 stars)
    10. Headshrinker (3 stars)
    11. Going Nowhere (3 stars)
    12. I Am The Walrus (3 stars)
    13. Underneath The Sky (2.5 stars)
    14. Swamp Song (2 stars)

FWIW: Whatever (5 stars)... I guess it was omitted because it was an a-side.

...Plus it doesn't even have Round Our Way. 
    Pretty surprising that fans didn't vote that one on the compilation, isn't it?
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    I’m a huge fan of Masterplan, album and track.
    If we’re being real, The Masterplan is the best Oasis album IMO. I’d swap Going Nowhere for Round Are Way and it’s a 10.0 comp. 
  • I can't for my life see what you see in The Masterplan album... there's a lot of songs on there that just passes through without much of a hook at all.