Eddie broke me....:(

Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
So, I was at The Who show at Wembley Stadium on 7/6.  My friend and I got so bored during The Who after Eddie had played his set that we decided to take a walk to the back of the GA area, where we could freely walk around and grab some beers or whatever.  It starts to lightly drizzle.

3 songs left in the show Roger Daltrey says, "We'd like to welcome back to the stage our good friend Eddie Vedder for one more song."  I take off like an Olympic sprinter to get back to my seat by the stage.  My left foot slides out from under me and I land with all my weight on my left shoulder.  Made it 7 more days through the EU/UK before coming home and getting it looked at.

Broke my shoulder in 12 fucking places, and needed 10 titanium screws to put me back together.  Gonna take like 4 months before I'm 'back to normal'.

10 PJ/Eddie shows this last year (Madrid, Lisbon, Missoula, Chicago, Boston, Tuscon, Dublin and this show), and on the last, last, LAST song I saw him play I completely destroyed myself.

It sucks, but shit happens I guess.... 
'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'

Comments

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    So you spent an entire week with an untreated broken shoulder? You must have a pretty high pain threshold...
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    My left foot slides out from under me and I land with all my weight on my left shoulder.  Made it 7 more days through the EU/UK before coming home and getting it looked at.

Broke my shoulder in 12 fucking places, and needed 10 titanium screws to put me back together.  Gonna take like 4 months before I'm 'back to normal'.

10 PJ/Eddie shows this last year (Madrid, Lisbon, Missoula, Chicago, Boston, Tuscon, Dublin and this show), and on the last, last, LAST song I saw him play I completely destroyed myself.
    Wow, i'm sorry to hear...that's some trip.
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Didn't you expect Ed would make an appearence with The Who?!
    (not to sound like an ass)

Get well soon! 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,712
    One  tough son of a gun
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    So you spent an entire week with an untreated broken shoulder? You must have a pretty high pain threshold...
    Yup.

Not one of my smarter life decisions.

This is the finished product after surgery.

I won't be able to lift my arm above my head for probably another 4-6 weeks, and it will be something I will need to deal with for the rest of my life.

Rock and Roll baby....

• My goodness...
    Get weel soon, mate!

26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

This what it looked like after I got back and before the surgery.

....and this is like a 6/10 on how bad it looked at its worst.

I made it from the UK to Amsterdam/Southern Holland for 4 days, then back to the UK/Manchester/Liverpool for another 2, then an 8 hour flight home all with my suitcase and backpack.

Again, probably not the smartest decision I have ever made.  This could have been a LOT worse than it wound up being.

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    really sorry for what happened to you, stay strong and get well soon..
    but on the other hand, ladies go crazy for scars..
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Damn dude.  That’s some love for Eddie right there.  I would have gotten all I needed from one show of his. Hopefully he sees this thread and invites you on stage sometime!  I hope you heal fast and are good to go soon.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Son of a bitch - rock n roll never forgets - something good will come your way for sure!!!
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    That x Ray would look ideal to replace eddies teeth xray in vitalogy.  Get well soon. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    That’s super metal. I would have left during The Who so at least you have a cool story to share for years. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Saltzy23 said:
    Yup.

I won't be able to lift my arm above my head for probably another 4-6 weeks, and it will be something I will need to deal with for the rest of my life.

Rock and Roll baby....

Holy crap! Now that is a rock n' roll story to tell the grandchildren about!

If you don't get a shout out from Ed at your next show it will be a crime  =)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • BH87446BH87446 Posts: 113
    Hey, we’re twins! Mine was a motorcycle accident at the beginning of June... be careful with it, and keep up on the physical therapy!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    ive been to hundreds of shows, but never needed surgery from them
  • "My friend and I got so bored during The Who "

i have nothing to add here. happy friday people!
  • Saltzy23 said:
    Yup.

Rock and Roll baby....

Oh man, that’s terrible!! I fell from my racing bicycle last year and had my shoulder broken at 4 places. Had a ticket to see Guns N’ Roses front of stage in Göteborg, Sweden (I live in the Netherlands) two days later and asked the doctor at first aid in the hospital whether I still could go, which he answered with ‘yes’. So there I was, 36 hours later, sitting on the plane to Sweden with a broken shoulder and my arm in a sling. Somehow I managed to survive that weekend and returned the next day in the same clothes as my girlfriend helped me putting on the day before. Sometimes, following your favourite band(s) comes at a high price. Surgery was only 13 days after the accident, see a similar X-Ray photo. It took very long, but one year later, I am able to do already 90% with my shoulder compared to before the accident. I really hope that you will be able to do that as well in one year. Get well soon and keep on rocking!!!

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    "My friend and I got so bored during The Who "

Thank you, now I would never wish harm to anyone, you must have paid a pretty penny for this show.  You missed one of the greatest rock bands of all history because you were focused on Ed and only Ed.  Pity.  Pity . . . pity .  . .pity.  
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613

I thought that getting bored watching The Geriatric Who duo goes without saying. 

I say that but that might be Ed and Mike in the future and I would still go. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I saw The Who once and I left early.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I mean this respectfully, as I love The Who, but I've long thought that they should tour as Daltrey/Townshend. The Who was one of the most dynamic bands in r'n'r history. There just isn't any replacing John E. Zak S mimicks Keith fairly well, but it's tough to lose half a Who. Now they're surrounded by hired guns, and it just doesn't sound like The Who. I think Daltrey and Townshend accoustic would be brilliant. 
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    The hired guns have been with Roger and Pete longer than the originals. People are going to the shows to hear Who songs so the band should tour as The Who, that's what Pete and Roger are. A couple of the recent Who shows have been among my favorite most enjoyable shows ever.  I agree that an acoustic tour would be great. When they did Won't Get Fooled Again acoustic during the recent tour, just the two of them, I thought that was awesome.
    ceska said:
    The hired guns have been with Roger and Pete longer than the originals. People are going to the shows to hear Who songs so the band should tour as The Who, that's what Pete and Roger are. A couple of the recent Who shows have been among my favorite most enjoyable shows ever.  I agree that an acoustic tour would be great. When they did Won't Get Fooled Again acoustic during the recent tour, just the two of them, I thought that was awesome.
    I hear ya... sort of. If they toured as Pete and Roger, my opinion is that they could still play The Who songs, and still sound more like The Who that we know and love. It would also probably be easier on their ears and voices. Then again, they're the artists, and it's their craft. Who am I to say how they should do it?

Last I saw The Who perform with John Entwistle in 2000, it still sounded like The Who. Zak Starkey did a mean Keith Moon imitation (no easy task), and they had "Rabbit" on keyboard.

In 2002, Pino Palladino bravely stepped in after John's death, and Simon Townshend was brought in for guitar and harmonies. Despite the additions, the Jimi Hendrix of bass proved to be irreplaceable. 

In 2015, Pete and Roger were joined by Zak on drums, Pino on bass, Simon on guitar and vocals, and 2 or 3 utility players/vocalists. The end result sounded, to me, like a Who cover band. Pete and Roger were often drowned out by other musicians, or maybe just lost in the shuffle.

The Who had 4 truly unique parts. My personal opinion is that 3/4 still sounded great, but half a Who didn't. Either way, kudos to Pete and Roger for lending their talents to so many charitable causes. I'll always be a fan.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    It's frightening how good Entwistle was. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    Also, I have seen The Who like 4-5 times the last decade.  Twice at MSG I think, once at Forrest Hills Stadium, and this show.

I enjoyed the other ones, but this show, between the enormity of the venue, low energy setlist, and further faltering of Daltry's voice was by far the worst.

It wasn't just my friend and I.  There were literally people behind us that were sleeping 1/2 way through the show.
  • "My friend and I got so bored during The Who "

Thank you, now I would never wish harm to anyone, you must have paid a pretty penny for this show.  You missed one of the greatest rock bands of all history because you were focused on Ed and only Ed.  Pity.  Pity . . . pity .  . .pity.  
    i've seen the who live for almost 4 decades now, over 10 times, and i thought this latest tour was my fave. loved the opening sequence of the show, the quad tunes etc etc !  roger was in great voice when i heard him last. and pete ON FIRE again. and zac is a JOY !!
    and maybe the young kids just won't ever get IT    ;)
  • Saltzy23 said:
    Did they ask your permission to put up the images or just swipe the story off here like most of their shit?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

i've seen the who live for almost 4 decades now, over 10 times, and i thought this latest tour was my fave. loved the opening sequence of the show, the quad tunes etc etc !  roger was in great voice when i heard him last. and pete ON FIRE again. and zac is a JOY !!
    and maybe the young kids just won't ever get IT    ;)
    I just have to ask this... only for clarification purposes. You preferred "this latest tour" to any tours you saw with John Entwistle?