MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    igotid88 said:
    You don't necessarily need to be a playoff team to be an MVP
    Agreed, and the O's pitcher is in the mix for just that reason.  But if you are turning in a performance that appears to have jump started your team's playoff aspirations, that certainly should be considered, IMO.  

And agree that Alvarez's numbers are on the smaller sample size.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Early choice for AL ROY?  No one is really standing out.  Yordan or Vlad2 I guess at this point.  Eloy a distant 3rd.  If you just look at HR & RBI, Chavis could be in the convo but his slash line is absolutely atrocius.  His OPS is only 3 pts higher than Vlad's SLG!  And his OBP is 2 pts lower than Yordan's BA.  Oh and he's K'd 121 times.
    I know he's hurt right now but does Brandon Lowe qualify as a rookie this season?  He was 1 AB under the limit last season, but I think he was up more than 45 days on the roster.
    Yes, Brandon Lowe.

He qualifies this year.
    Sucks that he's injured then.  Would be awesome to see a Terp get ROY!! 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    igotid88 said:
    I sure as hell aren't giving it to Alonso though.

An MVP helps win games too, the Mets just started getting hot so let's talk later but right now it's Yelich and Bellinger.  Their numbers are just better.

McNeil actually has a better WAR than Alonso.
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed, and the O's pitcher is in the mix for just that reason.  But if you are turning in a performance that appears to have jump started your team's playoff aspirations, that certainly should be considered, IMO.  

And agree that Alvarez's numbers are on the smaller sample size.  
    Oops, I was thinking of ROY, not MVP when I replied.  
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    igotid88 said:

An MVP helps win games too, the Mets just started getting hot so let's talk later but right now it's Yelich and Bellinger.  Their numbers are just better.

Alonso has a better ops and ops+. More runs and rbi. Homeruns are still vote getters. Not saying he will win but if he gets to 50+ hrs which is very likely. I could see him top 5
    I miss igotid88
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Early choice for AL ROY?  No one is really standing out.  Yordan or Vlad2 I guess at this point.  Eloy a distant 3rd.  If you just look at HR & RBI, Chavis could be in the convo but his slash line is absolutely atrocius.  His OPS is only 3 pts higher than Vlad's SLG!  And his OBP is 2 pts lower than Yordan's BA.  Oh and he's K'd 121 times.
    I know he's hurt right now but does Brandon Lowe qualify as a rookie this season?  He was 1 AB under the limit last season, but I think he was up more than 45 days on the roster.
    Alvarez is definitely standing out.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Alonso has a better ops and ops+. More runs and rbi. Homeruns are still vote getters. Not saying he will win but if he gets to 50+ hrs which is very likely. I could see him top 5
    Top 5, yes, you can have 2 votes and be a top 5 though.

It's all about WAR nowadays but if you like old school thinking then we can go to batting average which Mr Pete is lacking.

I'm not taking anything away from him as I have mentioned him a few times on here and the season he is having.  The Mets are getting hot now so if that continues he might get more consideration.
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

It's all about WAR nowadays but if you like old school thinking then we can go to batting average which Mr Pete is lacking.

I'm not taking anything away from him as I have mentioned him a few times on here and the season he is having.  The Mets are getting hot now so if that continues he might get more consideration.
    WAR might be the tie breaker. But they're not that far from each other. And there 2 months left. So if someone wins with a 4 WAR over someone who has 50+ hr and a 3.5 WAR. Is that fair?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

WAR might be the tie breaker. But they're not that far from each other. And there 2 months left. So if someone wins with a 4 WAR over someone who has 50+ hr and a 3.5 WAR. Is that fair?
    I miss igotid88
    Fuck WAR!!!  God I fucking cringe any time I hear "WAR" when talking baseball.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I try not to be a homer, but if the Indians somehow win the AL Central, Francona should win Manager of the Year running away
    MayDay10 said:
    I try not to be a homer, but if the Indians somehow win the AL Central, Francona should win Manager of the Year running away
    Personally I hate everything Cleveland, but I totally agree with you.  And Baker rules.  
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

.5 in WAR is not bad, a &.0 vs a 4.0 is huge though.

The voters still like high avg so Alonso would be out because he is 60 points lower.  Remember back when Cecil Fielder got robbed 2 years in a row?  The HR isn't the end all be all anymore which I like.  If that was the case Judge would have won his rookie year too.
    Hitting up some card shops for Baseball Card Day tomorrow.  Gonna buy & open my first pack(s) since 1993.  Wish me luck!
    Hitting up some card shops for Baseball Card Day tomorrow.  Gonna buy & open my first pack(s) since 1993.  Wish me luck!
    You might enjoy Allan & Ginter.  I love their cards.

Do not buy anything unlicensed!!!

Good luck!!!
    You might enjoy Allan & Ginter.  I love their cards.

Do not buy anything unlicensed!!!

Good luck!!!
    Yeah, A&G are pretty cool (though I kinda prefer the mini parallels to the standard set, wish you could just buy packs of minis).  And I don't like the unlicensed stuff either, never did.  Always bittersweet as a kid when someone would present me with like Wonder Bread cards or something.  I knew they meant well, but the cards were just so generic looking.  I know Panini is a legit brand, but without the logos & team names, I have zero interest in their products.  Topps only for me.  I'm ok with that because the overpopulated market is part of what got me out in the first place. And hell, Topps does that well enough on their own.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Topps were my least favorite in 80s/90s.  Boring vs D, F, or UD.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Topps were my least favorite in 80s/90s.  Boring vs D, F, or UD.
    That was my thinking as a kid, too.  But now that I look back on them, I've changed my mind for the most part. Topps designs have, for the most part, stood the test of time much better imo.
    edited August 2019
    Well, nothing super duper awesome. No autos, relics, or other super rarities. Here’s what I got:

(1) Topps Series 2 jumbo pack (48/pk)
    - Fernando Rodney gold (1693/2019), Max Stassi foil, Joey Votto ‘84 Topps All-Star, Mariano Rivera greatest seasons 150 Years of Baseball
    (1) Topps Chrome jumbo pack (13/pk)
    -Christian Yelich prism refractor
    (2) Topps Big League packs (10/pk)
    -Fernando Tatis Jr rookie, Jose Altuve caricature
    (2) Allen & Ginter packs (8/pk)
    -Lou Gehrig mini, Ozzie Smith mini A&G back. Others of note - Paul Molitor, Juan Marichal, Gary Vee, Dan Rather
    (2) National Baseball Card Day freebies (5/pk)
    -Pete Alonso rookie

Also grabbed a Sandberg topps rookie. 
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    Only Cubs I got were Hamels & Taylor Davis in Topps series 2.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    A rookie on nobody's radar (reds cut him and then signed him again), The Punisher ties a few records tonight.
    If you get a chance, catch the third HR.  He fucking obliterated that ball.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/game?gameId=401076493

Video here
    HardballTalk : Video: Aristides Aquino ties Trevor Story’s rookie home run record
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Alvarez---AL ROY

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    A rookie on nobody's radar (reds cut him and then signed him again), The Punisher ties a few records tonight.

It would be an awesome feat against any other team, lol. But F that guy in the brain right now!!! :lol:  :angry: 

It would be an awesome feat against any other team, lol. But F that guy in the brain right now!!! :lol:  :angry: 
    We do well against the baby bears this year
    Can't hate on this guy, his story is amazing.

We do well against the baby bears this year
    Can't hate on this guy, his story is amazing.
    Don’t sell yourselves short with “do well against.” Straight up kickin our asses this season! 7 HR already? Certainly made himself an introduction!
    Rendon from Washington has a case for MVP with a .320 avg and 1.000 ops 25 hr
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Rendon from Washington has a case for MVP with a .320 avg and 1.000 ops 25 hr
    Not against Bellinger and Yelich...

At this point everyone is playing for 3rd as far as I'm concerned.  He is having a good year though.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Acuña is 7 homers and 12 stolen bases away from the 5th 40-40 season in MLB history. If he could maintain his pace after the all-star break, he would be a couple of stolen bases away from a 50-50 season.