Do you think China wants to and could invade Australia by military force?

2»

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Time to close this thread...
    why?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    There's a bit of anxiety here (me included) about China's increasing assertiveness in the Asia-Pacific.
    They are building military bases on islands not far from Australia, they are sailing close to our waters, they are spying on Australia-US war games held on Australian waters.
    I'm just worried about their intentions.
    Looking around on the internet, I founds articles about this concern going back about 3 years.  That would surely cause some tensions.  Hopefully, China will find something better to do with their time and resources.  Does Australia have a surplus of resources?  That's usually what wars are about-- getting someone else's stuff.  Is that their motive? 

I hope things cool down!
    We have iron ore, uranium, and uhhh....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    why?
    What does the US or Canada farming practices have to do with China or what is being discussed?   

back on topic

Ever since Canada arrested that Huawei crook China has stopped buying a lot of our products and are holding 2, maybe 3 Canadians as hostages and our wimp pm does fuck all.  Fuck China...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    why?
    What does the US or Canada farming practices have to do with China or what is being discussed?   

back on topic

Ever since Canada arrested that Huawei crook China has stopped buying a lot of our products and are holding 2, maybe 3 Canadians as hostages and our wimp pm does fuck all.  Fuck China...
    Which has significantly affected farming, as the Chinese were major buyers of our canola crop, among others. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019

You people speaking so loudly about not buying chinese products, and not supporting walmart - 

- do you buy meat from the US and Canada?

USA gets a D from World Animal Protection for Animals used in farming:

Canada gets a D :

Compared to some European countries:

Germany:

France:
    Sweden:

Another useless posting with no source info...

I posted the source in the post.

But I guess you were so eager to jump on the bandwagon parroting the same shit to be a part of the clique - that you didn't even read?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

You people speaking so loudly about not buying chinese products, and not supporting walmart - 

Canada gets a D :

Germany:

France:
    Sweden:

But I guess you were so eager to jump on the bandwagon parroting the same shit to be a part of the clique - that you didn't even read?
    SC, before you accuse him of parroting, why don't you double-check your sourcing. I'm not seeing any either. If two people regularly ask you for sources, is it possible that maybe you should just start offering them up-front?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:

Canada gets a D :

Germany:

France:
    Sweden:

SC, before you accuse him of parroting, why don't you double-check your sourcing. I'm not seeing any either. If two people regularly ask you for sources, is it possible that maybe you should just start offering them up-front?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited August 2019
    China may well be making a bid for global dominance.  Only question is will that country fall down dead of emphysema before or after the finish line.  They are the second most polluted country in the word next to Innnnndia-ah, (you're my love song).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    China may well be making a bid for global dominance.  Only question is will that country fall down dead of emphysema before or after the finish line.  They are the second most polluted country in the word next to Innnnndia-ah, (you're my love song).
    Their own people may turn against their government.
    I am sad to see they will probably take over control of Hong Kong.
    brianlux said:
    Could be. They'd need a lot of organizing.

I thought China did control Hong Kong.  Sovereignty was turned over to China in 1997 but I guess they are still sort of independent... for now.

Smellyman , if you don't mind me asking, what's your take on all this?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Yeah the UK handed it back to China. They have a number of years still until they are under the full control of China I believe?
    But China could send in the military to stop the protestors.
    Yeah the UK handed it back to China. They have a number of years still until they are under the full control of China I believe?
    Is there a set date for China to take over or would it have to be a forced deal?

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I thought China did control Hong Kong.  Sovereignty was turned over to China in 1997 but I guess they are still sort of independent... for now.

British did rule in in 97 and China was supposed to leave HK alone for another 50 years.  They begin enacting their control slowly and deliberately.  Only allowing Beijing approved candidates to run for office, outspoken anti China citizens disappeared and ended up in China prisons.  Like the bookstore owners (Brian....) in Causeway Bay  This led to the Umbrella movement a few years ago protesting the fraud elections in HK.

China calls the original treaty/document signed with England to be a 'historical document' and that they are under no obligation to follow it.  Fuck China.

Now I live in Taiwan which is a completely autonomous democratic country and China uses similar bullshit hear.  Notice airlines maps call it Province of China and the UN and other governments won't officially recognize Taiwan because they are all fucking scared of China.  In sporting events Taiwan is called Chinese Taipei.  Wish other countries would grow a backbone.  Taiwan has one.

They also have a massive online counter bot patrol (much like Russia) laying into HK and Taiwan and other issues spreading propaganda.  They already control the media in China and it is really weird seeing the 'news' they get compared to what is actually happening.

Many years ago I thought China would start to go the other way and become more open as the people and country get richer.  Sadly it seems to going the other way.  Maybe it's just a wave building before it breaks.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    brianlux said:
    Is there a set date for China to take over or would it have to be a forced deal?
    I believe Smellyman answered?
    edited August 2019
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

British did rule in in 97 and China was supposed to leave HK alone for another 50 years.  They begin enacting their control slowly and deliberately.  Only allowing Beijing approved candidates to run for office, outspoken anti China citizens disappeared and ended up in China prisons.  Like the bookstore owners (Brian....) in Causeway Bay  This led to the Umbrella movement a few years ago protesting the fraud elections in HK.

China calls the original treaty/document signed with England to be a 'historical document' and that they are under no obligation to follow it.  Fuck China.

Now I live in Taiwan which is a completely autonomous democratic country and China uses similar bullshit hear.  Notice airlines maps call it Province of China and the UN and other governments won't officially recognize Taiwan because they are all fucking scared of China.  In sporting events Taiwan is called Chinese Taipei.  Wish other countries would grow a backbone.  Taiwan has one.

They also have a massive online counter bot patrol (much like Russia) laying into HK and Taiwan and other issues spreading propaganda.  They already control the media in China and it is really weird seeing the 'news' they get compared to what is actually happening.

Many years ago I thought China would start to go the other way and become more open as the people and country get richer.  Sadly it seems to going the other way.  Maybe it's just a wave building before it breaks.
    Fascinating- thank you Smellyman.  Taiwan sounds like a great place.  I hope the country can keep China off it's back somehow.  Australia too!

brianlux said:
    I believe Smellyman answered?
    Yes!