All Things California

I wanted to start this thread a while ago.  So many things happen in Cali that it justifies it.  Florida may get one too one day.

This weekend I heard a news story about the state of California's teaching curriculum wanting to add something new to teach.

Capitalism is racist.

Please read and comment and feel free to add to the California post.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2019-08-02/californias-new-ethnic-studies-curriculum

Comments

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    I'm going to ask you to not post stupid shit, lol!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited August 2019
    The Californians forced to live in cars and RV
    shttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/05/california-housing-homeless-rv-cars-bay-area?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0XxOQA6j0H5foX5Rq1k1q3K5rw7Ym7E5bRUWM3pd5Smue3_-K4FiRR2Zc#Echobox=1565024648

I watch a lot of van life, bus lives, RV life and yes car life videos.

Some pretty interesting videos out.  Some are voluntarily choosing this lifestyle, but many are forced to live like that because housing is unaffordable.  It's better that the street.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I am not sure how they even begin to define that course....although I think the idea is not a bad one. 
    From the little that I know of it, the editorial you linked seems to make good sense. 

Lived in CA for 20 years and loved much of it.  Miss many things about living there -- others, I do not.  (3-4 hours in traffic every day?  Pppfffftttt!)

Interesting thread.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    California
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    California
    Those the redwoods?  I did the sequoias.  I can't wait to do it again.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    California.  If you could see what has changed about this state over the last 7 decades, you would be amazed and if you lived through those changes, you would find it depressing as hell to talk about.  The damage is huge and it runs deep.

R.I.P California.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I lived in Santa Cruz in the 80s. It was nice but had to get out of there. I do like to visit occasionally. Love the northern quarter. Not too many people up there. Here's a redwood from last year.
    #FHP
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    All I have to say about California is legal weed. 

Well, semi legal. In the conservative butthole that is the Central Valley you would doubt its legal. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    All I have to say about California is legal weed. 

Well, semi legal. In the conservative butthole that is the Central Valley you would doubt its legal. 
    It's legal in EL Dorado County but only if you're willing to shell out $39 to he sharks in the conservative area for a medical card.

But legal weed in California is not all it's made out to be.  First of all, to be a legal licensed grow, you have to fork out a LOT of money for the permits.  This rich get richer.  Who'd a known!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• What's with this obsession with weed.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    What's with this obsession with weed.
    Quite honestly you have to try for yourself to really appreciate the greatness of the herb.  Even though legalization in Canada still has it's ups and downs I still think it great that Canadians no longer risk a criminal record for smoking it... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It's not an "obsession"; it's how it's treated by many.  And you should be aware that it's not just for catching a good buzz, but also for helping people like me with physical ailments and the emotional anguish related to them.

Costs are due to supply and demand; so applies to the cannabis industry.  While my medical card no longer affords the tax benefits it used to, most dispensaries here offer freebies, great deals, frequent buyer programs, etc., which somewhat defray the taxes.  As long as greed or way overcharging for a product don't come into play, I see nothing wrong with making money via this venture - or most any other investment, really.

Anyway, this native Angeleno has seen changes to California of course; everything evolves - or devolves.  The cost of living where we are is through the roof, and if we were to look to buy in this area now, it'd be beyond unaffordable.  I'm fortunate we've got 28 years in this place, and the equity that comes with it.

To the article itself, it seems to do children a disservice to focus more on one "side" than the other.  How does one learn to reject or accept or form their own ideas if they're unaware of all of the options?  It seems to stifle the critical thinking they want to promote.
    Ahhh so that's why you are such a pill lol

It's a California thing.  Even got a town named after it.  :smiley:

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    That’s like saying “what’s with this obsession with breathing.”

Weed makes all things in life better, including life. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    California has some of the highest taxes and you don’t see the benefits from them.  I have no idea where the money goes.  They just raised the gas tax last month.  Meanwhile LA and SF are becoming inhabitable unless you make 300 a year.  But yet they are more concerned with I don’t even know what.  Scientists have already concluded that the Black Plague is probably already in LA do to how nasty the city is.  For the record, I live in Texas and work in California.  I travel back and fourth and have the luxury of paying California taxes.
    One of California's great writers from the Monterey area, upon turning 50, talked about how that coastal region was growing so fast and how he felt it difficult to concentrate on his writing due to all the tourists in the area, especially around Carmel.

That writer was Robinson Jeffers and the year was 1938.

California has some of the highest taxes and you don’t see the benefits from them.  I have no idea where the money goes.  They just raised the gas tax last month.  Meanwhile LA and SF are becoming inhabitable unless you make 300 a year.  But yet they are more concerned with I don’t even know what.  Scientists have already concluded that the Black Plague is probably already in LA do to how nasty the city is.  For the record, I live in Texas and work in California.  I travel back and fourth and have the luxury of paying California taxes.
    You can change your state tax to Texas at the end of the year.  Get a good tax guy and they can reverse that.  Unless a law is new that I am unaware of?
    brianlux said:
    One of California's great writers from the Monterey area, upon turning 50, talked about how that coastal region was growing so fast and how he felt it difficult to concentrate on his writing due to all the tourists in the area, especially around Carmel.

That writer was Robinson Jeffers and the year was 1938.
    I lived in Saugus , CA in 84-86 then visited in 91 then moved there again in 93.

In those 11 years the area had become a metropolis.  It used to be all orange and strawberry farms but turned into malls and housing developments.

I would joke with my family that I wanted to buy a mountain in the area.  They would all jokingly ask "why?"  I replied that they seem to be building on every square foot here so might as well buy that mountain, it's only a matter of time.

A few months later the mountains I joked about were being developed...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Met an older woman from California before Eddie Vedder in Dusseldorf sitting with a German fellow, she had moved from California to Germany for. They had met on the internet through their common love for Neil Young.

She had seen Neil Young just pop up and and play in her local bar several times in the 60s.
    She had been a nurse and agreed that the US health care system was vile compared to the German.

Cute couple. And she had a very cool Californian vibe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    You can change your state tax to Texas at the end of the year.  Get a good tax guy and they can reverse that.  Unless a law is new that I am unaware of?
    California changes its tax code.  If you work in the state, you owe state tax on that income.  I do believe it had something to do with the trump era tax revision.
    California changes its tax code.  If you work in the state, you owe state tax on that income.  I do believe it had something to do with the trump era tax revision.
    Ahhh that would make sense as I have not worked out of state since Trump was elected so I wasn't sure.  Now I know.

That stinks.
    Yersinia Pestis is common all throughout the Western States and always has been.
    It has nothing to do with being "nasty" and everything to do with rodent populations (prairie dogs being the worst) west of the 100th meridian being reservoirs for the disease.
    rgambs said:
    Yersinia Pestis is common all throughout the Western States and always has been.
    It has nothing to do with being "nasty" and everything to do with rodent populations (prairie dogs being the worst) west of the 100th meridian being reservoirs for the disease.
    If your area is nasty Gambs you're gonna have a bunch of rats, sorry.
  • Scientists have already concluded that the Black Plague is probably already in LA do to how nasty the city is.  
    Would you say you can call it.. infested?
    Scientists have already concluded that the Black Plague is probably already in LA do to how nasty the city is.  
    Would you say you can call it.. infested?
    Sure and the sidewalks in San Fran and LA are overpopulated too.
    The Plague has been found in the Sierras for decades.  It's not common, but it's there.  Visitors should be aware of this.  Anyone hiking in the Sierras who comes across a dead rodent (usually squirrel, or chipmunk) would do well to move quickly away from it.

brianlux said:
    The Plague has been found in the Sierras for decades.  It's not common, but it's there.  Visitors should be aware of this.  Anyone hiking in the Sierras who comes across a dead rodent (usually squirrel, or chipmunk) would do well to move quickly away from it.

When the winds picked up in the winter months is usually when we would get sick.  Rumor was that it was from the rodents.  Hell I don't know if that is true or not but sounds logical.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    brianlux said:

When the winds picked up in the winter months is usually when we would get sick.  Rumor was that it was from the rodents.  Hell I don't know if that is true or not but sounds logical.
    I’ve heard reports on this and they blamed the miles upon miles of turned soil that’s been sprayed and coated with fertilizers and insecticides during the fallow period before they irrigate and the Santa Ana winds blowing that toxic dust around. But what do I know?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©