MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited August 2019
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1805942

A's sign fan who went viral with 96-mph fastball in pitching cage
    Simon Sharkey-Gotlieb

Nathan Patterson has proven that dreams can come true.

In a story that seems to be written for a movie, the Oakland Athletics signed the 23-year-old Patterson to a contract Thursday, some two weeks after he went viral by throwing 96 mph in a pitching cage at Coors Field.

Patterson was attending a Colorado Rockies home game on July 15 when he stepped into a pitching machine on the Coors Field concourse. He proceeded to dazzle onlookers by hitting 96 mph on the radar gun.

Somehow, Patterson getting signed out of a pitching cage isn't even the most inspiring part of his story. His journey to professional baseball, which began last summer, was briefly interrupted when he was hit by a car and suffered an injury to his non-throwing wrist.

Patterson posted a video in January of his indoor workouts, during which he consistently hit high speeds despite wearing a cast on his left wrist.

Patterson told Cut 4's Adrian Garro that he last pitched competitively in high school but had joined a men's league in February. He added that the A's reached out to him "a few days" after his video went viral.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    1995 wasnt too bad because it felt like the beginning with much more opportunity ahead.  The Braves were also a great team destined to win one at some point.  

1997 stung bad.  The fact they had it in the palm of their hands and it fell away.  The phoniness of the Marlins, Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.  Barf.  

2016 was actually the worst.  It was right there.  The sports world was paying close attention to an all-time series.  I attended game 1.  Getting snuffed out in Game 7, then coming from the dead with Davis' homerun.  In the bottom of the 9th, Kipnis hit a foul ball, but live, it looked like a homerun for a split second and I almost passed out.  Then the rain delay gave the Cubs a chance to re-group.
    2016 also lives in the reality that the Indians wont ever really have a decade-plus run of being a contender.  If we are lucky, they will get a legit shot every decade or 2, and then back into the pile.  95 and 97 didnt have that.  I also hated Albert Belle.  The 2016 team was so resilient and likeable.  One of, if not my favorite pro sports teams ever.
    I think it also hurt more in the fact that we had to watch another, similar, tortured fan base celebrate.

I am a Buffalo sports fan, so I have had my fair share of soul crushing moments and games.  Never seen a favorite team win a championship.  I have always been an Indians fan, but not as emotionally attached as the Bills and Sabres.  2016 Hurt just as bad as "Wide Right" and "No Goal".  
    The crease call was the worst.  Ever.  

Are you in Erie or somewhere between on 90?
    I am in a suburb just North of Buffalo
    So are the blue Jays your in market team?
    The Indians, Pirates, Yankees, and Mets.  Not the Blue Jays I think because they are in Canada, even though its an hour away.

The MLB blackout policy is ludicrous.
    You get all of those as local? That's sweet if so!
    I get Orioles and Nats.
    We get Orioles, Nats, & PIrates on local cable here.  O's & Nats are blacked out on MLB.tv, the Pirates used to be (and are technically the closest of the 3 teams) but they lifted their restriction in 2018.  It's great for me since that's 11% of the Cubs schedule I was missing out on.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    1995 wasnt too bad because it felt like the beginning with much more opportunity ahead.  The Braves were also a great team destined to win one at some point.  

1997 stung bad.  The fact they had it in the palm of their hands and it fell away.  The phoniness of the Marlins, Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.  Barf.  

2016 was actually the worst.  It was right there.  The sports world was paying close attention to an all-time series.  I attended game 1.  Getting snuffed out in Game 7, then coming from the dead with Davis' homerun.  In the bottom of the 9th, Kipnis hit a foul ball, but live, it looked like a homerun for a split second and I almost passed out.  Then the rain delay gave the Cubs a chance to re-group.
    2016 also lives in the reality that the Indians wont ever really have a decade-plus run of being a contender.  If we are lucky, they will get a legit shot every decade or 2, and then back into the pile.  95 and 97 didnt have that.  I also hated Albert Belle.  The 2016 team was so resilient and likeable.  One of, if not my favorite pro sports teams ever.
    I think it also hurt more in the fact that we had to watch another, similar, tortured fan base celebrate.

I am a Buffalo sports fan, so I have had my fair share of soul crushing moments and games.  Never seen a favorite team win a championship.  I have always been an Indians fan, but not as emotionally attached as the Bills and Sabres.  2016 Hurt just as bad as "Wide Right" and "No Goal".  

The Indians, Pirates, Yankees, and Mets.  Not the Blue Jays I think because they are in Canada, even though its an hour away.

I get Orioles and Nats.
    We get Orioles, Nats, & PIrates on local cable here.  O's & Nats are blacked out on MLB.tv, the Pirates used to be (and are technically the closest of the 3 teams) but they lifted their restriction in 2018.  It's great for me since that's 11% of the Cubs schedule I was missing out on.
    You're in western MD then?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited August 2019
    Nelson Cruz has been on fire! Not bad for a 39 year old.

Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I get Orioles and Nats.
    You're in western MD then?
    Yep.  The land of lung cancer.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    @cutz great article on that kid.

My boy Kevin Merrell got traded to the Royals...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

I know there are a lot of cool plays in baseball, but an outfielder showing off his cannon and nailing a runner or even just making them decide against it will never get old 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Their Twitter account is pretty funny. One of the only good things about the team
    I miss igotid88
    DewieCox said:

I know there are a lot of cool plays in baseball, but an outfielder showing off his cannon and nailing a runner or even just making them decide against it will never get old 
    igotid88 said:
    Their Twitter account is pretty funny. One of the only good things about the team
    Don't know if you guys caught it in time but the last Marlins response was "You're literally the animal that killed Steve Irwin. Log off."  They have since removed the tweet because apparently 13 years is too soon to make a joke.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    edited August 2019
    DewieCox said:

igotid88 said:
    Don't know if you guys caught it in time but the last Marlins response was "You're literally the animal that killed Steve Irwin. Log off."  They have since removed the tweet because apparently 13 years is too soon to make a joke.
    I went to a Dead Celebrities party when I still lived in LA.  Every participant dressed as people like Lady Diana, Marilyn Monroe, Mark Twain....and I dressed as Steve Erwin.  We all met at a bar in Santa Monica and I was told by two guys from Australia that they wanted to kick my butt for disrespecting their hero.
    This was 3-4 years after he had died.
    Granted, the whole party idea is probably in questionable to poor taste.  We did participate and we should have expected that some might think it was offensive.  We didn't, however.  Most people thought it was fun and we posed for many pictures with people in the crowded space. 
    I loved Steve Erwin.  Too bad that guy isn't around any longer, he was cool to watch and to learn from.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    DewieCox said:

igotid88 said:
    I went to a Dead Celebrities party when I still lived in LA.  Every participant dressed as people like Lady Diana, Marilyn Monroe, Mark Twain....and I dressed as Steve Erwin.  We all met at a bar in Santa Monica and I was told by two guys from Australia that they wanted to kick my butt for disrespecting their hero.
    Granted, the whole party idea is probably in questionable to poor taste.  We did participate and we should have expected that some might think it was offensive.  We didn't, however.  Most people thought it was fun and we posed for many pictures with people in the crowded space. 
    I loved Steve Erwin.  Too bad that guy isn't around any longer, he was cool to watch and to learn from.
    I hear ya!  Everyone loved Steve Irwin.  I don't think it's poor taste to honor the dead by dressing like them and celebrating them.  It honors the impact they had on the lives of many.  I also don't think the Marlins tweet was in poor taste but, ya know... everyone's the PC police on twitter.
    DewieCox said:

igotid88 said:
    I hear ya!  Everyone loved Steve Irwin.  I don't think it's poor taste to honor the dead by dressing like them and celebrating them.  It honors the impact they had on the lives of many.  I also don't think the Marlins tweet was in poor taste but, ya know... everyone's the PC police on twitter.
    Bill Maher went as Irwin shortly after his death.  I got the humor but can understand why some don't.
    Image result for bill maher steve irwin
    Are you sure that's not just Bill Maher turning into his lizardman self?
    Are you sure that's not just Bill Maher turning into his lizardman self?
    lol
    Is anyone paying attention to Fernando Tatis Jr?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Um, yeah! The guy is amazing. Easily starting to look like a 1st round fantasy pick next year. Amazing talent.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Outside of Pete Alonso, I think I'm probably more impressed with Tatis than anyone else this year.
    Outside of Pete Alonso, I think I'm probably more impressed with Tatis than anyone else this year.
    Yelich doesn't do it for you?  Bellinger?

Peter Alonso on the Mets doing what he has been was a travesty.  The Mets finally firing on a few more cylinders is now gaining public interest more.

I like mcNeil too.
    tbergs said:
    Um, yeah! The guy is amazing. Easily starting to look like a 1st round fantasy pick next year. Amazing talent.
    I need to go back to my original post but he is one of the youngsters I wanted to see get called up.

Peter Alonso on the Mets doing what he has been was a travesty.  The Mets finally firing on a few more cylinders is now gaining public interest more.

I like mcNeil too.
    I'm talking rookies specifically.  But no, piss on Yelich.  I mean, he seems like a good dude, but I can't stand him bc of who he plays for. :lol:

I like mcNeil too.
    I'm talking rookies specifically.  But no, piss on Yelich.  I mean, he seems like a good dude, but I can't stand him bc of who he plays for. :lol:
    Ahhhh got it.

So before this season, off the top of my head I liked Acuna, Bichette, Guerrero, Tatis, Senzel, Maitan.  I believe all of them but Maitan made it up.  I really wish Maitan would get it together.
    Early choice for AL ROY?  No one is really standing out.  Yordan or Vlad2 I guess at this point.  Eloy a distant 3rd.  If you just look at HR & RBI, Chavis could be in the convo but his slash line is absolutely atrocius.  His OPS is only 3 pts higher than Vlad's SLG!  And his OBP is 2 pts lower than Yordan's BA.  Oh and he's K'd 121 times.
    I know he's hurt right now but does Brandon Lowe qualify as a rookie this season?  He was 1 AB under the limit last season, but I think he was up more than 45 days on the roster.
    If the Mets make the playoffs...  Alonso ROY and MVP??  Barring outstanding circumstances, he has ROY wrapped up.  I definitely think he belongs in MVP discussion if they make the Postseason. Hell, even if they make a strong push and fall a game or three short.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Early choice for AL ROY?  No one is really standing out.  Yordan or Vlad2 I guess at this point.  Eloy a distant 3rd.  If you just look at HR & RBI, Chavis could be in the convo but his slash line is absolutely atrocius.  His OPS is only 3 pts higher than Vlad's SLG!  And his OBP is 2 pts lower than Yordan's BA.  Oh and he's K'd 121 times.
    I know he's hurt right now but does Brandon Lowe qualify as a rookie this season?  He was 1 AB under the limit last season, but I think he was up more than 45 days on the roster.
    How do you figure Alvarez isn't standing out?  His numbers are way better than Vlad or Chavis.  My personal favorite is for Oscar Mercado.  His slash lines are slightly better than Vlad, plus he is hitting #2 and the Indians success started when he came up, so he is playing a pivotal role.  Alvarez is on a team of all stars.  Not taking anything away, but the Indians would be hurting without Oscar.  I can't say the same for the Stros.  
    If the Mets make the playoffs...  Alonso ROY and MVP??  Barring outstanding circumstances, he has ROY wrapped up.  I definitely think he belongs in MVP discussion if they make the Postseason. Hell, even if they make a strong push and fall a game or three short.
    No way.  Bellinger or Yelich.  Only 2 that matter.

That Ryu of LAD should be considered in there.  Dude really, really turned his career around.
    Yes, Brandon Lowe.

He qualifies this year.
    mrussel1 said:
    How do you figure Alvarez isn't standing out?  His numbers are way better than Vlad or Chavis.  My personal favorite is for Oscar Mercado.  His slash lines are slightly better than Vlad, plus he is hitting #2 and the Indians success started when he came up, so he is playing a pivotal role.  Alvarez is on a team of all stars.  Not taking anything away, but the Indians would be hurting without Oscar.  I can't say the same for the Stros.  
    Alvarez's slash line is standing out, but all the rest isn't blowing anybody away.  But he's also only at 42 games, so it's a small sample.  I'll have to see how he plays the season out.  If he keeps it up, he'll definitely be head & shoulders above the rest.  I can definitely see Mercado in the discussion.  He's the only rookie averaging <1 strikeout per game and he's put up some pretty decent numbers.  For Rookie of the Year, though, I don't consider the impact the player has on the team. That said, I also see the benefit of having an entire lineup of All-Stars bat around you.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    You don't necessarily need to be a playoff team to be an MVP
    I miss igotid88