framed poster thread

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Is there an issue if I place a screen print in an off-the-shelf type of frame from a say, michaels or hobby lobby?

I have such a backlog of prints to hang, but with all sorts of kids, mortgage, vacation funds, etc.... I just cant justify a $2-$4 hundred dollar hit times how many posters I would like to hang.  
    Not at all,  especially if you're not hanging in direct sun.  At the end of the day,  you're going to turn to dust before the prints do. 

I do my own mat cutting and framing and I use the 60 dollar Michaels frames, but wait until they are 50 to 60% off.   Mat cones from hobby lobby at 10 bucks a sheet,  so a job is never more than 50 all in.   Here's my last.  Feet not included..

I've also started painting the frames which opens more possibilities. 
    Thanks!  I may try that.  That looks great.  Would add another little hobby and make it more rewarding.  What tool do you use to cut the mats?  So your print is 18x24 and you decide to use 1.5" of mat you are looking at getting a 21x27 frame?

I am/was concerned with ruining the prints, and no, they wouldnt be in the sun.  As long as it isnt some known thing that the backing eats the paper or the print deteriorates on the glass used in those frames, Im fine.  
    Also.. if you're using a mat,  the print won't touch glass.  I can't opine as to whether it will stick to a direct frame as I haven't done that. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:
    That appears to be the one I have so yes should be good.  Logan has a video on how to do a double mat properly.   Be sure you watch it a few times.  You should expect to burn a mat or two but don't sweat it.  If you're really going to hang,  you'll make your$ back 10x in no time.  Im to the point where I rotate prints in and out of mats throughout the year.  So many color schemes work for multiple prints.   My 3rd floor is like a museum.  
    If you can get the next size up for a decent price,  I'd consider it.  It also has a handle bevel cutter which is nice.  

Versatility...

thats great!

One last question, I promise.  What archival mounting tape do you speak of?  Rooting around Amazon, I couldnt really find any 'non-invasive' products.
    Don't worry about the questions.  Happy to help. These were recommended by people here and they work.  You might be tempted to cut them but I think they move around if you do,  especially if your edges are precise.  Other times you have play.

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-See-Thru-Polyester-Mounting-L533-4015M/dp/B00G0TPJEW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=lineco+mounting+strips&qid=1564764121&s=gateway&sr=8-2

You'll also need double sided framing tape if you plan to double mat. Quarter inch wide is good.  You want thin tape,  not heavy duty.  It will be at Michael's or hobby.

• droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327

Just got back my AP Cracker Jack and AP Catch back from the framers but also wanted to provide a picture of my AP Pendleton Skyline as well!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Great stuff mrussel1.   Might go down this path.  I do the framing myself but Americanframe still isn’t cheap.   
    Great stuff mrussel1.   Might go down this path.  I do the framing myself but Americanframe still isn’t cheap.   
    You mean they cut everything and send it to you,  and then you put everything in and mount? 
    I need to try them for the 12x36 since there's nothing in store for a frame that works with a mat.  Been meaning to.  I worry about whether the mat color is an accurate representation. 
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    You mean they cut everything and send it to you,  and then you put everything in and mount? 
    I need to try them for the 12x36 since there's nothing in store for a frame that works with a mat.  Been meaning to.  I worry about whether the mat color is an accurate representation. 
    Yeah they provide everything and i frame the poster. Im sure i can save quite a bit with your methods.   Mat colors are usually spot on but they do offer samples
    I have used americanframe a number of times.  

To me, it is nice, but the selection of mats and colors is limited, and not matching it to the print in person doesnt do it justice.  I also find the prints slipping quite a bit behind the mat  

I did do one on pictureframes.com for Fenway the catch that I was super happy with

• Lowlight11Lowlight11 Posts: 271
    edited August 2019
    Just added this to the collection!

MayDay10 said:

To me, it is nice, but the selection of mats and colors is limited, and not matching it to the print in person doesnt do it justice.  I also find the prints slipping quite a bit behind the mat  

I did do one on pictureframes.com for Fenway the catch that I was super happy with

Using a colored frame makes a big difference.  You can use single mat and still
    get a nice effect.  This looks really good.  I have a weathered wood in my closet waiting to be used.  I plan on painting it.  
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I've read (in this thread, maybe) that you can have the folks at Michaels cut your mat for you. Can anyone speak to this?
    Hobbes said:
    I've read (in this thread, maybe) that you can have the folks at Michaels cut your mat for you. Can anyone speak to this?
    It's true.  I had them measure and cut two special order mats for my Miami Sperry. My cutter wouldn't support it because that's a huge print.  I think it cost be about 250 for the custom frame and mats, on sale.  I saved 75 bucks by mounting it myself plus the print never left my hands,  which is important to me. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

@F Me In The Brain

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    2014 London Police Amsterdam....Finally on the wall!!! Only 88 of these out there...

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    dankind said:

@F Me In The Brain

Amazing
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    MayDay10 said:

That looks great with the green frame. Nice!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• paylingpayling Seattle Posts: 294
    Any framed Seattle 18 EMEKs out there?
    PA
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,075

Some new frame ups
  • Buncho224 said:

Nice Buffalo collection. Especially like the 2013. That was an awesome gig.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • No PJ, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • NB283405NB283405 Posts: 74
    No PJ, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.
    That looks really good!  That was one of my favorite posters from the recent US tour.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2008: Mansfield II
    2010: Hartford, Boston
    2013: Chicago, Worcester I, Hartford
    2016: Boston I, Boston II
    2018: Boston I, Boston II
  • Folks...can someone please remind me how to post pictures to the forum? Thanks...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
    Folks...can someone please remind me how to post pictures to the forum? Thanks...

• chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    payling said:
    Any framed Seattle 18 EMEKs out there?
    NIce
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 683
    Beauty job on the Düsseldorf! 
    Agreed.  Nice frame.  I love that print.