MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Greinke to the Astros
    Mother...
    Well, that's a team even more likely to win it all and my fantasy team just got upgraded with a better line-up for my star pitcher.
    It's a killer to my Tribe .

Btw, for those of you that live out of market for your home team,  MLB has a 19.99 special for AtBat for the rest of the year. Great deal. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Greinke to the Astros
    Mother...
    hell of an acquisition for the Stros
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Greinke to the Astros
    Mother...
    hell of an acquisition for the Stros
    They mortgaged quite a bit to get those pieces,  but they are all in.   I think there's now clear separation between the Astros and everyone else in the AL, if not the league.  This is a sure sign they're going to be swept in the divisional!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Tralfazes just locked up the AL crown.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    igotid88 said:
    Greinke to the Astros
    Hell yes!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pirates need to stop.  I hope they get their asses kicked every day 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    If hurdle had any balls he would answer the Bell!

Amir Garret is awesome.   That is the best way to go about it.  Don't be a pussy and throw a fastball

..if the team is a bunch of bitches....charge them all!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Yanks fans are pissed that they didn't get Grienke.

Why, oh why don't the Angels ever make damn moves?!?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Pissed they didn't make any moves. They couldn't get Grienke.

Pissed they didn't make any moves. They couldn't get Grienke.
    It was all over sports radio today.  Out came the wolves!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Cards adding 3 AS at the deadline, Ozuna/Yadi/Capenter :|
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im very happy with the Indians' trade.  I hate the fact that the economics force them to trade good players at a certain point, but the return is a good blend of present and future.  
    MayDay10 said:
    Im very happy with the Indians' trade.  I hate the fact that the economics force them to trade good players at a certain point, but the return is a good blend of present and future.  
    Since it appears you're a fellow Tribe fan,  here's an excellent analysis of how the front office has leveraged players and trades over the years.  It's really impressive.  Our front office takes a backseat to no one. 

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/07/the-indians-might-make-these-trevor-bauer-type-trades-forever-doug-lesmerises.html
    Cleveland better not ever let Lindor go.  That man is a treasure.
    If they don't think they can re-sign him,  you better believe he's going.  What they got for Bauer is a pittance compared to what Frankie will bring.  You could get 3 to 4 immediate impact players. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    mrussel1 said:
    If they don't think they can re-sign him,  you better believe he's going.  What they got for Bauer is a pittance compared to what Frankie will bring.  You could get 3 to 4 immediate impact players. 
    Didn't the owner pretty much say enjoy him now, because they're not resigning him?
    mrussel1 said:
    Didn't the owner pretty much say enjoy him now, because they're not resigning him?
    If the owner said that the fans should literally tear down the damn stadium.

That is ridiculous.
    edited August 2019
    Lindor is a goner.  He is going to command one of the largest contracts in baseball history when he is up.  They will trade him for a bounty when it is time in 2021... or even 2020 if they are struggling

While the Indians have been good at churning out players and developing.... I hate the system to be honest.  It really sucks that we can never again have a long-term franchise-mount rushmore-type star player to grow attached to.  People rail on how high payrolls dont matter, etc, but the big difference is the retention of players, along with adding to that.  
    We went through this in 2009 when V Martinez, Cliff Lee, and Sabathia "had" to be sacrificed to the Boston, Philly, and NY gods.  The economic in 2019 though have more 'haves' than 2009, which is good.  Middle and lower class are at a disadvantage.

Im thankful they have been able to navigate through this and given us some cycle of having competitive baseball, and we arent in a position that fans of San Diego, Baltimore, or Toronto are in where they are just perpetually bad with maybe one good season every blue moon.

The system is going to change, the MLBPA isnt happy.  I dont know exactly what the answers are, to be honest baseball CBA is confusing as hell.... but I would like to see a bit more revenue sharing, and a payroll floor installed.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:
    Don't like the trade the Marlins made. Finally get a young pitcher that's pitching well and giving them length and then trade him away
    the marlins made a trade? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Speaking of the Indians, that '95 team is one of my favorites of all time. What a lineup. They should have won it all.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    Speaking of the Indians, that '95 team is one of my favorites of all time. What a lineup. They should have won it all.
    Ran into an all time pitching staff.  97 was more painful.  16 was the most painful.  The good news is the Browns are primed to fuck us in the next few years,  so that's nice. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Ran into an all time pitching staff.  97 was more painful.  16 was the most painful.  The good news is the Browns are primed to fuck us in the next few years,  so that's nice. 
    Yeah, that Indians team was stacked, but that Braves pitching staff was phenomenal. And while they didn't have the same offensive firepower, that Braves team had a pretty good lineup as well.

I could definitely see how 97 and 16 were worse for Indians fans.
    edited August 2019
    1995 wasnt too bad because it felt like the beginning with much more opportunity ahead.  The Braves were also a great team destined to win one at some point.  

1997 stung bad.  The fact they had it in the palm of their hands and it fell away.  The phoniness of the Marlins, Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.  Barf.  

2016 was actually the worst.  It was right there.  The sports world was paying close attention to an all-time series.  I attended game 1.  Getting snuffed out in Game 7, then coming from the dead with Davis' homerun.  In the bottom of the 9th, Kipnis hit a foul ball, but live, it looked like a homerun for a split second and I almost passed out.  Then the rain delay gave the Cubs a chance to re-group.
    2016 also lives in the reality that the Indians wont ever really have a decade-plus run of being a contender.  If we are lucky, they will get a legit shot every decade or 2, and then back into the pile.  95 and 97 didnt have that.  I also hated Albert Belle.  The 2016 team was so resilient and likeable.  One of, if not my favorite pro sports teams ever.
    I think it also hurt more in the fact that we had to watch another, similar, tortured fan base celebrate.

I am a Buffalo sports fan, so I have had my fair share of soul crushing moments and games.  Never seen a favorite team win a championship.  I have always been an Indians fan, but not as emotionally attached as the Bills and Sabres.  2016 Hurt just as bad as "Wide Right" and "No Goal".  
    MayDay10 said:
    1995 wasnt too bad because it felt like the beginning with much more opportunity ahead.  The Braves were also a great team destined to win one at some point.  

1997 stung bad.  The fact they had it in the palm of their hands and it fell away.  The phoniness of the Marlins, Sheffield, Bonilla, etc.  Barf.  

2016 was actually the worst.  It was right there.  The sports world was paying close attention to an all-time series.  I attended game 1.  Getting snuffed out in Game 7, then coming from the dead with Davis' homerun.  In the bottom of the 9th, Kipnis hit a foul ball, but live, it looked like a homerun for a split second and I almost passed out.  Then the rain delay gave the Cubs a chance to re-group.
    2016 also lives in the reality that the Indians wont ever really have a decade-plus run of being a contender.  If we are lucky, they will get a legit shot every decade or 2, and then back into the pile.  95 and 97 didnt have that.  I also hated Albert Belle.  The 2016 team was so resilient and likeable.  One of, if not my favorite pro sports teams ever.
    I think it also hurt more in the fact that we had to watch another, similar, tortured fan base celebrate.

I am a Buffalo sports fan, so I have had my fair share of soul crushing moments and games.  Never seen a favorite team win a championship.  I have always been an Indians fan, but not as emotionally attached as the Bills and Sabres.  2016 Hurt just as bad as "Wide Right" and "No Goal".  
    The crease call was the worst.  Ever.  

Are you in Erie or somewhere between on 90?
    And yes 95 felt like a victory to win the pennant,  which hadn't happened in my lifetime.  A WS win wasn't necessary to celebrate, but would have been nice. 
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I am in a suburb just North of Buffalo
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

So are the blue Jays your in market team?
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

The Indians, Pirates, Yankees, and Mets.  Not the Blue Jays I think because they are in Canada, even though its an hour away.

The MLB blackout policy is ludicrous.
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

The Indians, Pirates, Yankees, and Mets.  Not the Blue Jays I think because they are in Canada, even though its an hour away.

You get all of those as local? That's sweet if so!
    I get Orioles and Nats.
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

You get all of those as local? That's sweet if so!
    I get Orioles and Nats.
    We do.... sort of.... but if I subscribed to our regular cable, I wouldnt get the Indians or Pirates local RSNs.  Mets Im not sure.  Yes Network infects everything like a Virus I think I get it over the air.

Directv has all the RSNs so the games would be on.  However, AT&T blew up their pricing and it isnt worth it.

So I have Hulu Live now and Pirates' AT&T Sportsnet isnt offered.  If I were a Pirates fan, I would be forced to either get Directv or stream illegally.

I would much rather these sports leagues just offer all the teams on their streaming app, home and away feeds.  These blackout things are some of the last death throes of the telecoms' ability to act like monopolies