Options

Why do some people have a problem with certain kinds of music?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    I loathe free-form jazz and interminably long solos (guitar, drum, voice - especially doing national anthems, whatever). When I hear these things it actually makes me angry.  It’s like, just get to the point already!  And yes, I realise that it often is the point.  I try to resolve this by removing myself from the situation, if possible, and trying not to bitch about it too much as I know that there are people who love this stuff.  It’s just not for me.  
    LOL.  I'm laughing because back in the early 70's I had roommates that were really into free and avante gaurde jazz like Albert Ayler, John Coltrane, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, and Cecil Taylor.  That stuff drove me NUTS!!!  Some nights I just wanted to scream.  But them one night, with the help a  little something and the right mood, suddenly- BINGO!  I got it.  Now I love all that stuff- I mean really love it.  So I always encourage to people to leave themselves open to new and different things.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hate certain kinds of music because they literally make me feel bad when I hear them. Like if I hear country music (for example), I literally have negative emotions as a result. Kind of the same as when I'm forced to deal with a person I think is an asshole or something.
    No love for Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Patsy Cline, Kathy Mattea, KD Lang? Or Lyle Lovett?
    https://youtu.be/bF3KeXcRAhE

Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hate certain kinds of music because they literally make me feel bad when I hear them. Like if I hear country music (for example), I literally have negative emotions as a result. Kind of the same as when I'm forced to deal with a person I think is an asshole or something.
    No love for Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Patsy Cline, Kathy Mattea, KD Lang? Or Lyle Lovett?
    https://youtu.be/bF3KeXcRAhE

And Willie and the Boys want to know, Why don't you love me?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Certain music just doesn't resonate for me. Over the years I have tried to be more mindful about my negative response to some music, but what irks me is when people tell me I "just don't get it" . No, I get it; I just don't like it. Personal preference. Years ago I went to a YoYo Ma concert. One of the pieces performed was atonal avant garde. To me, it sounded like the sonic version of water torture. Others loved it. When some people find out I love Pearl Jam, they will tell me that Ed sounds as if he is gargling insulation. To each their own. 
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Hobbes said:
    A good fwiend often reminds me of my shit-taste in music. Don't bother me none.
    Your fwiend has questionable taste in music. And t-shirts.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:
    Certain music just doesn't resonate for me. Over the years I have tried to be more mindful about my negative response to some music, but what irks me is when people tell me I "just don't get it" . No, I get it; I just don't like it. Personal preference. Years ago I went to a YoYo Ma concert. One of the pieces performed was atonal avant garde. To me, it sounded like the sonic version of water torture. Others loved it. When some people find out I love Pearl Jam, they will tell me that Ed sounds as if he is gargling insulation. To each their own. 
    Reminds me of something I was listening to (on-line?  on the radio?  can't remember) where it was this small group of people who all seemed to think they were really hip and in the know about what is good and what's not in music.  One of the guys started talking about Pearl Jam and you could hear the groans in the room.  Some people seem to think it's not cool to like Pearl Jam, probably because they aren't obscure- too big to be coooool.  So the one guy said, "OK, I know what you guys are thinking, but if you could see them perform live (more groans) you would see what I mean.  They put on a great show, they really give it their all..."  Poor guy was speaking to a group of closed-minded hipsters.

I like a fair amount of obscure stuff too but have no shame whatsoever in liking Pearl Jam or any other bands that are "big" that give me sonic pleasure.  To those thread that ask, "What is your musical guilty pleasure," or "What bands are you embarrassed to admit you like?" the answer for me is always, "None."  No need to be ashamed of liking ANY music!