Options

Why do some people have a problem with certain kinds of music?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
Some of you have probably heard me say things like this before so, OK, let's get this out of the way up front and move on to the discussion:

:lol:

But now seriously, why is it that some people dislike certain kinds of music so much that they say things like, "I hate that music," or (worse), "That music sucks", or (to my way of thinking) the most odd, "That is bad music."  Bad?  How can music be "bad".  Which of the Ten Commandments did it break?  Did it steal, commit adultery, forget to remember the Sabbath?  Hell no.  In fact, one band was named Sabbath!

In all seriousness, I don't understand why so many people "hate" some kinds of music.  I am not a fan of opera or rap, but I would never say it is "bad" music.  I don't hate it, I just don't care for it so I don't listen to it.  But I respect it anyway.  Is that so hard?

Not meaning to be chastising here- I'm just sincerely curious.  I honestly don't get it.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    When it comes to techno/dance music I just think it is vacuous. 
    No lyrics, no soul, no talent with instruments, just repetitive beats and buzzsaw sounds and beeps and bleeps.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    I don’t hate any artist or any form of art , no one can make you like/dislike any music...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited July 2019
            Not a big fan of Satanic music...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    I don’t think there’s any music that I hate. If I don’t like something, I don’t listen to it. But that doesn’t make it bad music. Sure, there are some musicians that I have probably said that I hate (usually based on something they’ve said or done), but even they make music that someone loves or needs. I rarely listen to pop, and I never listen to jazz or opera, but I’m aware that they are hugely popular. Millions of people can’t be wrong!

When I worked in a bar in Sydney we had live music every night. Monday was an amateur ‘open mic’ night, Tuesday was jazz, Wednesday was for local bands, Thursday was folk, Friday and Saturday were for more rock and metal. Sunday wasn’t ‘live’ as such, it was DJs with more laid back trip hop / chill out kind of vibes. It was a great mix, and it was interesting to see the different crowds. Quite a lot of people would come to different nights to support the local scene, whatever the genre. The one that really stood out was the jazz crowd. Tuesday night was unofficially called ‘Jazz Jerks’ night, because they were such a pretentious group of people who really shat on all other forms of music. That’s no reflection on the music itself, but that crowd has probably tarnished it a little for me.

My cousin, on the other hand, doesn’t like any music. It was weird for me when I first found out. Most of my conversations start with music in some way, and as we’re not that close we quickly ran out of things to say. Music for him is just something to fill the background silence, he just isn’t into it as an art form.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    totally with u on this brianlux. thank you. respect definitely matters. hate of any kind is bad.

music fans are passionate people, even if they love hard core punk rock, rap, death metal. they are still passionate.
    so as long as the heart is involved deep emotions are played out. music can make u cry. it's that powerful!
    hate is at the extreme end of that emotional scale and unfortunately people haven't learned to live life without hate
    music causes goosebumps so there can be no bad music of any kind. it's extremely personal and individual.
    so, back full circle, it comes down to respect for an individual's choice as to what moves them. there is nothing to hate about any music and if u r a music fan u should know this...so perhaps the displaced hate comes from people who just really don't get IT
    and/or maybe they're just teenagers who haven't figured out life yet   ;)

i've said it before but wow are WE ever lucky to be living in a world today with so many options as far as music goes. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited July 2019
    I think a lot of it just figure of speech.  We say things like that when we're young, uneducated, and uncultured.  "This sucks! That's bad! They sound like crap!"  It just kinda sticks.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Not a fan of country but i sure enjoyed it in Nashville sitting in bars with my wife.  

I can pretty much find something good in every genre. 
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I don’t think there’s any music that I hate. If I don’t like something, I don’t listen to it. But that doesn’t make it bad music. Sure, there are some musicians that I have probably said that I hate (usually based on something they’ve said or done), but even they make music that someone loves or needs. I rarely listen to pop, and I never listen to jazz or opera, but I’m aware that they are hugely popular. Millions of people can’t be wrong!

When I worked in a bar in Sydney we had live music every night. Monday was an amateur ‘open mic’ night, Tuesday was jazz, Wednesday was for local bands, Thursday was folk, Friday and Saturday were for more rock and metal. Sunday wasn’t ‘live’ as such, it was DJs with more laid back trip hop / chill out kind of vibes. It was a great mix, and it was interesting to see the different crowds. Quite a lot of people would come to different nights to support the local scene, whatever the genre. The one that really stood out was the jazz crowd. Tuesday night was unofficially called ‘Jazz Jerks’ night, because they were such a pretentious group of people who really shat on all other forms of music. That’s no reflection on the music itself, but that crowd has probably tarnished it a little for me.

My cousin, on the other hand, doesn’t like any music. It was weird for me when I first found out. Most of my conversations start with music in some way, and as we’re not that close we quickly ran out of things to say. Music for him is just something to fill the background silence, he just isn’t into it as an art form.
    I can't imagine not liking any kind of music.  To me that would be like saying I don't like any kind of food!
    totally with u on this brianlux. thank you. respect definitely matters. hate of any kind is bad.

music fans are passionate people, even if they love hard core punk rock, rap, death metal. they are still passionate.
    so as long as the heart is involved deep emotions are played out. music can make u cry. it's that powerful!
    hate is at the extreme end of that emotional scale and unfortunately people haven't learned to live life without hate
    music causes goosebumps so there can be no bad music of any kind. it's extremely personal and individual.
    so, back full circle, it comes down to respect for an individual's choice as to what moves them. there is nothing to hate about any music and if u r a music fan u should know this...so perhaps the displaced hate comes from people who just really don't get IT
    and/or maybe they're just teenagers who haven't figured out life yet   ;)

i've said it before but wow are WE ever lucky to be living in a world today with so many options as far as music goes. 
    So true!  There is so much great music in the world!
    I think a lot of it just figure of speech.  We say things like that when we're young, uneducated, and uncultured.  "This sucks! That's bad! They sound like crap!"  It just kinda sticks.
    Good point.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    When it comes to techno/dance music I just think it is vacuous. 
    No lyrics, no soul, no talent with instruments, just repetitive beats and buzzsaw sounds and beeps and bleeps.
    I feel the same way.  I wouldn't say I hate it, but techno holds no appeal for me although little touch of it in some songs are OK to me but only as embellishments.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Not a fan of country but i sure enjoyed it in Nashville sitting in bars with my wife.  

I can pretty much find something good in every genre. 
    Same here but I have a very hard time getting into hip hop.  It's such a big part of our culture and I have all due respect for the music, find some of it interesting (particularly the way it was used in the Jim Jarmusch film "Ghost Dog", but that's as far as I've gotten.

Same with opera.  When I was young, I made some stupid comments about "old ladies screaming in song form" (or something to that effect).  But then I saw that scene in Philadelphia where Tom Hanks' character is playing opera and describing what it's about and that was moving.  Still not a fan, but with much greater respect.

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I used to accuse music that wasn't my taste of being "bad" in my younger years.  I've come to appreciate that music is very personal to many people and insulting their taste in music can hurt that individual's feelings.  A lot of my friends have teased me for enjoying Pearl Jam as much as I do, and at times that makes me really self-conscience.  I know it's just out of fun on their end, but I'm just cognizant of that when I criticize someone else's taste.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    I used to accuse music that wasn't my taste of being "bad" in my younger years.  I've come to appreciate that music is very personal to many people and insulting their taste in music can hurt that individual's feelings.  A lot of my friends have teased me for enjoying Pearl Jam as much as I do, and at times that makes me really self-conscience.  I know it's just out of fun on their end, but I'm just cognizant of that when I criticize someone else's taste.
    Well said, cdthomas. 

I had a friend who came to visit years ago and I was excited about some of the songs on the Pearl Jam "Touring Band" CD.  I already knew he hated U2 and a little way into he first song I put on he said, "I can't stand U2."  I said, "Well, but this is Pearl Jam".  He said, "Right, U2" again, making it obvious he had a disdain for PJ.  I wouldn't have minded so much if he had just said, "Sorry man, that's just not my thing,"  but he came across as super judgemental.  I would have said, "Hey, that's cool, we all like different stuff,"  but I was really put off by his hyper-critical attitude.

So yeah, in certain circles it is "not hip" to be in to Pearl Jam.  Oh well!  I figure, I like what I like and have learned to not pass judgement over what others like. I have no shame about anything I like, be it Pearl Jam, Rancid, or Neil Diamond, for that matter!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Some 80's music is bad.

I do loathe modern country.  It's quite horrible.

There are types of food I hate and will not eat.  Why?  Because it tastes bad.

Music is the same thing.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    I say I don't like certain music but recognize that others may not like what I like.  Guilty of saying I think something stinks...but that does not mean that it does.
    Just that I do not like it.  No problem with it....so long as you don't play it out loud, in public, where my 5 year old has to hear it.  (Specifically the vulgar stuff.  I have no problem w/vulgarity....for everything there is a time and a place.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Semantics?

Maybe I'll come off as an asshole, but I can think certain music (lyrics too) sucks monkey balls and may even criticize that, but not the person who digs it.

Win/win.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    I‘m guilty of „hating“ certain types of music. Try and listen to German „folk music“ like the Musikantenstadl and maybe you’ll see why. That and techno drive me nuts and literally  cause me physical pain.
    That being said I totally accept that other people love it. I just hate it when I have to listen to it... like at my grandparents‘ or a party.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    hedonist said:
    Semantics?

Maybe I'll come off as an asshole, but I can think certain music (lyrics too) sucks monkey balls and may even criticize that, but not the person who digs it.

Win/win.
    Yup, with ya.  It is all relative.  (Well, hopefully not the monkey?)
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Record some crap and call it "art"? Nah. Your music sucks. Did I hurt your feelings? Tough shit. Write/record about that. Pain/suffering generally leads to an improved output.

And no maybe about it, I do come off as an asshole. :smiley:
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Record some crap and call it "art"? Nah. Your music sucks. Did I hurt your feelings? Tough shit. Write/record about that. Pain/suffering generally leads to an improved output.

And no maybe about it, I do come off as an asshole. :smiley:
    "I've Got Hurt Feelings"

• Options
    If you want to tell the "artist" their music sucks, I'm not disputing that.  It's more for the listener.  Unless, they're blasting it for all those to hear.  I'm thinking more of someone who's not trying to put themself.  There are plenty of "artists" that i dislike and wouldn't be afraid to tell them.  It's more crapping on someone else's taste if their intention isn't to try to blast it for all to hear, because they think it's the shit.
  • Options
    A good fwiend often reminds me of my shit-taste in music. Don't bother me none.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Dude you rock the legendary tunes!  :lol: 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    To each their own.  By the way your taste in music sucks... =)
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    To each their own.  By the way your taste in music sucks... =)
    :cry:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited July 2019
    I hate certain kinds of music because they literally make me feel bad when I hear them. Like if I hear country music (for example), I literally have negative emotions as a result. Kind of the same as when I'm forced to deal with a person I think is an asshole or something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m guilty of „hating“ certain types of music. Try and listen to German „folk music“ like the Musikantenstadl and maybe you’ll see why. That and techno drive me nuts and literally  cause me physical pain.
    That being said I totally accept that other people love it. I just hate it when I have to listen to it... like at my grandparents‘
    or a party.

I love the thought of your grandparents listening to techno!  =)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    goldrush said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    That being said I totally accept that other people love it. I just hate it when I have to listen to it... like at my grandparents‘
    or a party.

I love the thought of your grandparents listening to techno!  =)
    :lol: that would be funny! Maybe I misphrased that a bit :wink:
  • Options

• Options
    edited July 2019
    My words were put to the test earlier this evening.  C. and I went to San Francisco to visit my step-daughter.  We had dinner at a new simple Thai restaurant in the Castro District.   The food was decent and reasonable but the music was a challenge for me- too loud (most is these days) digital (ditto) and kind of a combination of modern r&b/ rap/ hip hop.  I told my step daughter about this thread and how this music was challenging my thinking.  But I also pointed out that this music had a lot of energy and this IS, after all, The City, and look, those people are digging it and are happy.  I had a hard time with the music but, WTH, who am I to say it is bad.  These people were HAPPY (and some were even gay, ya know?).  So I passed the test.  And my step daughter, who is at an age where this kind of music is much more appreciated said, "It's not something I care for but I don't hate it.  Why hate it?"  Right on, baby.

So this is a very revealing thread.  Quite interesting.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    I loathe free-form jazz and interminably long solos (guitar, drum, voice - especially doing national anthems, whatever). When I hear these things it actually makes me angry.  It’s like, just get to the point already!  And yes, I realise that it often is the point.  I try to resolve this by removing myself from the situation, if possible, and trying not to bitch about it too much as I know that there are people who love this stuff.  It’s just not for me.  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop