MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I like the idea of keeping humans, but the egos of those involved won’t allow themselves to be more cognizant of their mistakes. I don’t think using a computerized strike zone would be any more beneficial to hitters than humans that allows armored up batters to lean over the plate and take bean balls.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    DewieCox said:
    I like the idea of keeping humans, but the egos of those involved won’t allow themselves to be more cognizant of their mistakes. I don’t think using a computerized strike zone would be any more beneficial to hitters than humans that allows armored up batters to lean over the plate and take bean balls.
    Aren't umpires rated by the league?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Umps should have shock collars. And whenever they get a call wrong it shocks them
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    DewieCox said:
    Also that if a pitcher DOES pitch inside he gets a warning.

Sheesh.
    DewieCox said:

Sheesh.
    No way..I love a little chin music.  
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Sheesh.
    Chin music, no.  Inside pitching, yes.

No pitcher should be aiming at a batters head.  Ever.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Sheesh.

Agree.  Killing someone would really suck. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Sheesh.

Bunch of alices in here.  A good pitcher can run chin music no problem. Then come back with some dead fish slider to totally jack him up.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Sheesh.

Bunch of alices in here.  A good pitcher can run chin music no problem. Then come back with some dead fish slider to totally jack him up.  
    What about the guy who tries to and hit the batter in the head?

Throw it at their ribs, I am ok with that dance.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My buddy Jason was playing at Potomac State and Kruk would help coach them during their winter practices. He had a crush on this woman that worked at Foot Locker in our local mall, so he kept going in and buying shoes, hoping she’d be there. He was going in every day and buying a new pair of shoes just to see if this chick was working!

So after telling the college kids about this for days, one of them finally says “Well have you talked to her yet?” And Kruk said he didn’t know what to say, worried about saying something dumb, etc. And the kid goes “You play Major League Baseball for the Phillies! Just take her out to dinner for Christ’s sake!”

Next practice he comes in and has this sad look on his face. And everyone assumed he asked her out but got turned down. One of the guys spoke up and asked him and turns out he was just bummed because she wasn’t working that day, ha! Fast forward to the next day he comes in with his brand new pair of shoes, wearing a big old smile and says “Guess who’s got a date tonight!” They got married a year later.

Now the post script is they divorced in ‘98 but I freakin laughed my ass off when he told me that story. He drew it out in a little more detail than I can remember but that was the gist of it. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Man, is there anyone hotter than Yuli Gurriel this past month? He is crushing the ball all over the place. I picked him up on my fantasy team right as he was getting hot and ridden the wave ever since. Homered again tonight. Batting almost .400 with 14 homers, 31 RBI and OPS of 1.345 in the last month.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    tbergs said:
    Man, is there anyone hotter than Yuli Gurriel this past month? He is crushing the ball all over the place. I picked him up on my fantasy team right as he was getting hot and ridden the wave ever since. Homered again tonight. Batting almost .400 with 14 homers, 31 RBI and OPS of 1.345 in the last month.
    He is killing it. I made the mistake of dropping him for a pitcher to stream about a week before his hot streak started. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    tbergs said:
    I was wondering when he would get hot.  I like him as a player.

The Stros have a good core.  Altuve is one hell of a locker room captain.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Aren't umpires rated by the league?
    If they are, the ratings are skewed terribly, because there's no way some umps mentioned previously would be rated good enough to keep their job.
    I am still flabergasted at how good Yelich became.

If he was to walk off the field today his numbers are really, really good...

35 hr, 77RBI, 335 avg, 77r, 23 SB's.

I do hope he makes it to 40/40 this year.  THAT would be awesome.

He already has a 5.9 war on the year.

C'mon.

Let's talk baseball.

How about McNeil and Alonso?!?
    Bellinger?
    I missed this tidbit from Bregman.

"If I wanted to hit .300, I'd hit .300," Astros third baseman Alex Bregman said. "It's an OPS game, though. It's about driving the baseball and getting on base, walks and extra-base hits. If it turned into an average game, I'd get the ball out of the air and hit line drives and hit .330.

2019 MLB All-Star Game

The Futures Game, Home Run Derby and the Midsummer Classic were at Progressive Field in Cleveland. Full coverage »

"All the hitters care about now is OPS. We don't care about batting average. Some guys do, I guess. Batting average is an old stat that doesn't matter. It's OPS, runs created, WAR. Look at Mike Trout's numbers. There are guys that hit .340. Mike Trout is hitting, what, .300 on the dot? I'd rather have Mike Trout's numbers with all the walks and the damage than the guy who hits .340 [with a bunch of singles]. It's an OPS game."

I'm including the whole article now.

Give it a read.  It talks about what we have discussed in the changes of baseball.

Good read.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27148938/generation-ops-how-powerful-young-all-stars-redefining-game
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I am still flabergasted at how good Yelich became.

If he was to walk off the field today his numbers are really, really good...

35 hr, 77RBI, 335 avg, 77r, 23 SB's.

I do hope he makes it to 40/40 this year.  THAT would be awesome.

He already has a 5.9 war on the year.

All it took was leaving Miami
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:
    I can't believe he wasn't tossed. No way the umps put up with that these days
    So, anyone else getting screwed by this pissing match between Dish/Sling and Fox Sports/Disney? Lost access to the Twins games as of noon yesterday. Frickin' Disney and their greed. I hope they resolve it soon. One of the only reasons I got Sling was to have access to the baseball games at a reasonable rate.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    tbergs said:
    So, anyone else getting screwed by this pissing match between Dish/Sling and Fox Sports/Disney? Lost access to the Twins games as of noon yesterday. Frickin' Disney and their greed. I hope they resolve it soon. One of the only reasons I got Sling was to have access to the baseball games at a reasonable rate.

I’m on Dish. Going to give Hulu Live a shot for the time being. Seems too good to be true though.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    say what you want about the red sox, but it’s damn big of them to be paying 97% of pablo sandoval’s salary. :triumph:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Yelich has matched his HR total of his 2018 MVP season ... on July 26
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Paul Goldschmidt tied a franchise record with 6 consecutive games with a HR.  Maybe that Verlander guy is on to something ... :pensive:

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Jason P said:
    Paul Goldschmidt tied a franchise record with 6 consecutive games with a HR.  Maybe that Verlander guy is on to something ... :pensive:

he definitely is.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Altuve is over halfway to 3000 hits now!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com