Options

1990’s bands - Canadian edition

2»

Comments

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    Zod said:
    chitty said:
    I will get alot of flack for this, but Nickelback in 1998 and 1999/00 had two really good rock albums: Curb and The State
    I would agree.  A friend of friend used to be the dummer of nickelback.  I saw a few shows in their early bar days, and playing a few bigger local shows during those first 2 albums.   I really did like them.  Then they got a little more polished.  I think they broke through internationally on the 3rd album.

Funny thing is I have an autographed cd copy of the original curb release on my shelf, as I got them all to sign it when we checked out a bar show when they opened for the barstool profits at UVIC.  Gets me zero bragging rights.. lol....
    Definitely seeing them in small bars during the cycle of those two albums was a complete different experience from what they are now. I saw them probably 15 times in a 3 year span in small clubs with a thought they were going to be big, little did I know it would be with a lot of cheesy generic rock
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    The thing that I miss, or maybe I’ve just aged out, was all the Canadian bands that would tour all the small and large cities across the whole damn country.  It seemed like every second week there was some band that you were hearing constantly on the radio, but they were playing small halls/clubs/arenas/student unions, etc.  This was particularly true in the 80s and early 90s.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,106
    The thing that I miss, or maybe I’ve just aged out, was all the Canadian bands that would tour all the small and large cities across the whole damn country.  It seemed like every second week there was some band that you were hearing constantly on the radio, but they were playing small halls/clubs/arenas/student unions, etc.  This was particularly true in the 80s and early 90s.
    I got a little taste of that this last few years with Headstones, I Mother Earth, and Tea Party doing to bar shows out here.   Pretty fund...

I remember a time in my last few years of high school.  We are at UBC for a volleyball tournament and walked into a Watchmen show.   That was pretty fund.
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Just glanced through quickly...

the tea party
    thirteen engines
    kon kan
    the box , more 80's ish
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    ST66483 said:
    Stinkin’ Rich / Buck65  and Hip Club Groove were also some fun back in the day.

Was definitely some good Canadian hip hop in the 90's. Corey from HCG was also on Trailer Park Boys. 
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited July 2019
    wasa1971 said:
    The Pursuit of Happiness. I don’t think it was mentioned.

“I’m an adult Now” is fantastic! 

A lot of cool bands mentioned, so many I’ve seen live. 
    I’d like to add a few bands I haven’t seen on the thread that I liked in the 90s (forgive me if any are a repeat) 

SNFU
    Dayglo Abortions
    FurnaceFace
    Wagbeard
    The All-Woman Brothers Band
    Sex With Nixon
    Hothouse Flowers
    Junkhouse
    D.D.T.
    Eric’s Trip
    Voivod
    Doughboys 
    Captain Tractor 

FurnaceFace! Awesome find! doughboys, too!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2019
    rummy said:
    wasa1971 said:
    The Pursuit of Happiness. I don’t think it was mentioned.

“I’m an adult Now” is fantastic! 

A lot of cool bands mentioned, so many I’ve seen live. 
    I’d like to add a few bands I haven’t seen on the thread that I liked in the 90s (forgive me if any are a repeat) 

SNFU
    Dayglo Abortions
    FurnaceFace
    Wagbeard
    The All-Woman Brothers Band
    Sex With Nixon
    Hothouse Flowers
    Junkhouse
    D.D.T.
    Eric’s Trip
    Voivod
    Doughboys 
    Captain Tractor 

FurnaceFace! Awesome find! doughboys, too!
    FurnaceFace were a good live act from Ottawa!  “Just Buy It” was the album that did pretty well if I remember. Some MuchMusic airplay etc.
    Saw them at the Rev in Edmonton in probably ‘94.  I think Pansy Division opened and then Irish band Therapy? played (they were awesome).
    Then out walks FurnaceFace in prom dresses lol. Was a fun show in a small club. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on