MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DewieCox said:
    I like how he turns and watches it!  Love it when pros - especially hall of famers - take a few seconds to make a kid's day.
    I heard recently that Mariano Rivera charges $500 to get his autograph. Anyone know if there is truth to that?  I surely hope he wouldn't deny a kid an auto because they can't cough up 5 Benjamins.  If that is the case, it sours me on him.
    I’d like to think that’s just a deterrent to getting hounded by adults or to show up at shows and stuff. I’d think it takes a cold bastard to look any kid in the eye and tel him no.
    I agree with this. I think if a kid sees a ballplayer and it's a genuine interaction the ballplayer signs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:
    Any thoughts? 

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1799200

Report: MLB could have international draft in place by 2020
    8h ago
    Quinn Harris / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CHICAGO ILLINOIS - JULY 13 A detailed view of baseballs during batting practice prior to the start of the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Pittsburgh Pirates at Wrigley Field on July 13 2019 in Chicago Illinois

Major League Baseball is trying to implement an international draft as soon as 2020, Ben Badler of Baseball America reports.

League officials told teams on Tuesday that owners support the goal and want it in place as soon as possible, according to Balder.

The players' association would need to approve any sort of proposal once it's finalized.

Some of the reported concepts for the draft - which could occur in August of next year - include 20 rounds, the trading of picks between teams, slot values, and protected selections in the top-three rounds to ensure a club would get a compensation pick if a draftee didn't sign.

The order of the draft would be determined by division and rotate each year rather than by awarding the team with the worst record the No. 1 overall pick, Balder notes.

The age at which players can sign would reportedly remain at 16.

I guess not>LOL
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My nephew did something similar 4-5 years back.  Granted...it was the 4th ball of the game he got.  (we were on the dugout and the players kept giving him them)
    Cool to see, must be a nice kid.

Maybe he would like to watch Aaron Boone speak to the authority in the game @ home plate?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    cutz said:
    NOw that's awesome.  I was watching the Yankess/Rays game the other night and a 35 year old guy plowed through people and jumped seats to pick up a ball.  It wasn't his best moment.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Oh and you can thank Steiner for the high prices too.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Best team in baseball? Best team in baseball 
    Did he throw a screwball?  Man, I used to try those things when I was in high school.  Friggin' hurts.  
    cutz said:
    I used to be able to throw that.  Last three finger grip and reverse rotation of a curve ball.

You want to see a pitch defy physics?  This person obviously doesn't know who Mike Scott was.

https://youtu.be/B5OWjxtXx2w

https://youtu.be/6LG2iXbwS7o

I remember watching him pitch and was in awe.  Ray Knight was arguing w the ump and was like "WTF pitch was that?!?"
    So, computers calling balls and strikes?

Yay or nay?

Yay or nay?
    No way.  Part of pitching is understand where the strikes are going to be for the game.  The interaction between the battery, the ump and the hitter are part of the art of the game.  To take that away, takes away part of the humanity.  I hate the idea right now.  
    mrussel1 said:

Yay or nay?
    No way.  Part of pitching is understand where the strikes are going to be for the game.  The interaction between the battery, the ump and the hitter are part of the art of the game.  To take that away, takes away part of the humanity.  I hate the idea right now.  
    I agree 100%.

My argument is that it would be a complete advantage to the hitter and the pitchers would get shafted again.
    mrussel1 said:

Yay or nay?
    Completely agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Has anyone noticed that it seems like the replay rules have changed?  I thought they were using the NFL standard of the call on teh field being clearly wrong.  It seems like they are throwing out the call on the field, and making a standalone call based on the combination of angles and what they see to be the likely result.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mrussel1 said:

Yay or nay?
    I agree 100%.

My argument is that it would be a complete advantage to the hitter and the pitchers would get shafted again.
    While I agree and like the idea of keeping a human factor, how is the pitchers having to throw a strike to get a strike called a case of them getting shafted?
    Some games I get very frustrated with some of these suck job umps.  Most of them do a good job being consistent...and that is what you want/need.
    Instead of getting computers they should just shitcan the morons who score poorly.  (That fuck Joe West can go first.  Angel Hernandez?  See ya!)
    This is like being president -- it should not be a job dominated by old people. 
    Quicker turnover on shit umps would be the way to improve the process, imo.
    mrussel1 said:

Yay or nay?
    I agree 100%.

While I agree and like the idea of keeping a human factor, how is the pitchers having to throw a strike to get a strike called a case of them getting shafted?
    Some games I get very frustrated with some of these suck job umps.  Most of them do a good job being consistent...and that is what you want/need.
    Instead of getting computers they should just shitcan the morons who score poorly.  (That fuck Joe West can go first.  Angel Hernandez?  See ya!)
    Glad you asked.

Batters right now are trained to know where the strike zone is.  The human factor widens that box a little so more guess work has to be done by the batter.

Take away that human factor and hitters no longer have to swing at close pitches because they know they are balls now.

When the batter knows that a strike is indeed a strike it will be like batting practice.

Horrible idea IMHO.
    mrussel1 said:

Yay or nay?
    I agree 100%.

Glad you asked.

Batters right now are trained to know where the strike zone is.  The human factor widens that box a little so more guess work has to be done by the batter.

Take away that human factor and hitters no longer have to swing at close pitches because they know they are balls now.

When the batter knows that a strike is indeed a strike it will be like batting practice.

Horrible idea IMHO.
    Interesting.  Not certain I agree, but I do see the point.
    Either way, we do agree that we do not need to have a computer calling balls and strikes. 
    I am OK with having one grade the Umps, though.

Get rid of West and Hernandez for starters!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited July 2019

Yay or nay?
    Nay.
    1) The first thing that needs to be done is to ensure umpires understand what the strike zone is and have them call is correctly.  Get rid of this bullshit of "getting the call if you hit your spot / not getting the call if you don't hit your spot / if it's a strike for one it's a strike for the other / if you pissed me off in a prior inning, I'm calling everything" and all these other dumb unwritten rules about umpires calling balls strikes and strikes balls.  Call the fucking strike zone. Period.  This MUST be the highest priority because:

2) Joe West, Angel Hernandez, C.B. Bucknor, Bob Davidson need to be told to seek other employment.

3) Until something as fast & accurate as Hawk-Eye (tennis) is developed, I don't want a computer calling balls and strikes.  And even then, I'd say let the ump call it and limit each batter to one challenge (maybe two) per game.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    cutz said:
    I used to be able to throw that.  Last three finger grip and reverse rotation of a curve ball.

You want to see a pitch defy physics?  This person obviously doesn't know who Mike Scott was.

I remember watching him pitch and was in awe.  Ray Knight was arguing w the ump and was like "WTF pitch was that?!?"
    I miss the way baseball was back then
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:

A lot of people forget about Mike Scott.  The last half of his career he was a beast.  Cy Young winner, 3x All-Star, NLCS MVP (one of only 3 to win the LCS MVP in a losing effort), no-hitter, 20 game winner.  All of that from 1985-1990.
    cutz said:

I miss the way baseball was back then
    Meh.. I do miss not having ridiculous sound effects on ESPN games, that's for sure.  I like that I can watch the Tribe every day of the week from here in Virginia. 
    cutz said:

A lot of people forget about Mike Scott.  The last half of his career he was a beast.  Cy Young winner, 3x All-Star, NLCS MVP (one of only 3 to win the LCS MVP in a losing effort), no-hitter, 20 game winner.  All of that from 1985-1990.
    I'm glad you remember him.  If the Stros had any help those years they would have gone to the World series.
    cutz said:

I'm glad you remember him.  If the Stros had any help those years they would have gone to the World series.
    He often gets overlooked because he was only dominant for a very short period of time.  But in that span, man was he good!  The split-finger made him a completely different pitcher.
    cutz said:

He often gets overlooked because he was only dominant for a very short period of time.  But in that span, man was he good!  The split-finger made him a completely different pitcher.
    So did sand paper, lol!

Well supposedly.  He never got caught but was accused.
    cutz said:

No doubt about it. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    See if this video comes through...got in from an article in The Athletic, referencing Brandon Phillips.
    The beat writer did not know that BP was playing in Mexico and commented on his spectacular plays and the fact that he just really loves baseball.
    I loved BP when he was with the Reds.  Loved.  Such a good guy, he was awesome in person on a number of occasions over a number of years with my nephew as far as fan interaction went.

What a play - I miss seeing these a bunch of times a year.  He really was special, defensively.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

Yay or nay?
    That gets a big time "Yay" from me. I've seen it tested in the minor leagues and it works great. The umpire is still behind the plate, but he has a guy in his ear telling him if it was a ball or a strike. Then the ump signals like he always has so the fans and players know the call.

It just seems silly to have replay now, and nearly every base-stealing attempt gets reviewed, yet balls and strikes (which I'd wager a guess are harder to call than safe/out and fair/foul) are still be called by the umps. I've heard umps complain about the notion of balls and strikes being computerized. But that's evolution, baby. Many jobs have been replaced by machines/computers. Nobody's looking to axe the umps. In fact, this proposal is meant to help the umps. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com