Options

Please stop calling him "Uncle Neil"...

2»

Comments

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I kinda like the Uncle Neil thing. When I hear someone say it in public, I automatically assume they are PJ fans. And after going to the Bridge School Benefit for years, it seemed like going to see Uncle Neil at shoreline year after year. The way he interacted with the kids and their families, he seemed to be a uncle to everyone in attendance. It was such a great time. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    When I hear just "Neil" I think of Peart, not Young.  Sorry, not sorry.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I kinda like the Uncle Neil thing. When I hear someone say it in public, I automatically assume they are PJ fans. And after going to the Bridge School Benefit for years, it seemed like going to see Uncle Neil at shoreline year after year. The way he interacted with the kids and their families, he seemed to be a uncle to everyone in attendance. It was such a great time. 
    Thank you for sharing that!  
    When I hear just "Neil" I think of Peart, not Young.  Sorry, not sorry.
    True.  Hadn't considered that, but very true. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    Yeah, I feel like Eddie can call him uncle Neil.  That doesn’t mean everyone should.  

It is weird if you really think about it.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,671
    Yeah, I feel like Eddie can call him uncle Neil.  That doesn’t mean everyone should.  

It is weird if you really think about it.
    My feelings exactly.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    100% agree with the OP.  Add "Jamily" to the list too.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited July 2019
    Of course people are going to say what they're going to say, and that is a-okay.... But I personally agree. I find it a little bit creepy or sucky or something, or at best just so copycatty it hurts.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    100% agree with the OP.  Add "Jamily" to the list too.

Yeah, it always struck me as way too cute.  But I do like the term Pearl Jam Community.  That sounds and feels right to me.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Of course people are going to say what they're going to say, and that is a-okay.... But I personally agree. I find it a little bit creepy or sucky or something, or at best just so copycatty it hurts.
    Absolutely.  I'm all for free speech.    It seems weird to me to call somebody most of us don't know or are related to by a familial word like "uncle".   The only thing I can think of that would be more embarrassingly weird would be for people to start calling him "Brother Neil".

But then, he did do that one video with the  bit that has him dressed in a preacher's robes (was it "Mansion on the Hill"?) standing behind a pulpit, so maaaaaaaaybe "Father Young" would get a pass.  On the other hand, it seems all images from that video have been wiped from the internet so maybe not!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Master Jedi Neil sounds better
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Master Jedi Neil sounds better
    LOL. 

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I really don’t understand the big deal here. I guess my view is jaded because I spent so many years attending the Bridge School shows. It just seems to fit for Mr. Young to be called Uncle Neil. 

On a different note, was it bad to be upset when Chris Cornell died? To my knowledge, nobody here knew him personally yet there is a whole thread dedicated to remembering him. His death affected me hard and I was never a huge Soundgarden fan but when I had the huge honor to see him solo in a theater and watched this masterful man play for three hours and interact with the crowd and just give it all in this stripped down setting it is still one of the musical highlights of my life. I never met Mr. Cornell yet I shed some tears a couple times after he died. (I never even teared up when multiple grandparents have died)His Songbook album is my favorite live album of all time. Call me a douche or whatever. I feel the same thing about calling Mr.Young, Uncle Neil. Those many years at the Bridge School seemed to make the name fit perfectly for me. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options
    I really don’t understand the big deal here. I guess my view is jaded because I spent so many years attending the Bridge School shows. It just seems to fit for Mr. Young to be called Uncle Neil. 

On a different note, was it bad to be upset when Chris Cornell died? To my knowledge, nobody here knew him personally yet there is a whole thread dedicated to remembering him. His death affected me hard and I was never a huge Soundgarden fan but when I had the huge honor to see him solo in a theater and watched this masterful man play for three hours and interact with the crowd and just give it all in this stripped down setting it is still one of the musical highlights of my life. I never met Mr. Cornell yet I shed some tears a couple times after he died. (I never even teared up when multiple grandparents have died)His Songbook album is my favorite live album of all time. Call me a douche or whatever. I feel the same thing about calling Mr.Young, Uncle Neil. Those many years at the Bridge School seemed to make the name fit perfectly for me. 
    First of all, to me, none of this is a HUGE deal, but I do think calling Neil Young by a family is pretty lame (unless he really is your uncle).

As for Chris Cornell dying, that's a whole other subject.  Kind of apples and oranges, I'd say.   I'll be honest and admit that I cried when Cornell died.  I've cried over every musician that I've liked and/ or respected and, believe me, as old as I am, that's a lot of tears.  But the grief I've felt for family members is a whole other and much deeper grief.  I've only met a handful of the musicians I've wept over at their  death but I don't cry for those musicians as though their passing is as that of a lost family member, I cry for the loss of the magic that these people create- magic that I can fully appreciate, and only vaguely approximate in my won playing and singing.  When that person leaves this plain, their voice is never to be heard again (other than recording, which are a kind of ghost (a wonderful ghost, to be sure) of that person. That brings tears to my eyes.   And in many cases I cry because I won't ever watch them throw a guitar ten feet into the air or hear them tell their story again or write another book or post a comment on their blog.   I think that crying over all that kind of loss is quite natural.    But I think referring to someone I've never met or known "uncle" is very unnatural and frankly, to me, it's embarrassing.

But to each his or her own.  I'm just making my case, not making a rule or law.

• Options
    I see where your coming from. Yes it is a little douchey (if that’s a word) but all in good fun. But I’m a person who kinda likes Jamily too. I think Zac Brown Band calls their fans Zamily or something to that effect. What’s life without being idiotic for fun sometimes. 
  • Options
    I see where your coming from. Yes it is a little douchey (if that’s a word) but all in good fun. But I’m a person who kinda likes Jamily too. I think Zac Brown Band calls their fans Zamily or something to that effect. What’s life without being idiotic for fun sometimes. 
    It's all good, 78.  I have had my fair share of idiotic fun, that's for sure!  :smiley:

• Options
    Are we all just really, really distant cousins at some point?  Maybe Cousin Young would be a better fit. 

• Options
    Are we all just really, really distant cousins at some point?  Maybe Cousin Young would be a better fit. 

That might be, oooooooooh stretching a point a bit!

• Options
    That photo is nuts.  Like the cat has no bones.
  • Options
    That photo is nuts.  Like the cat has no bones.
    Yeah, and the funny thing is, it looks just like our black cat Annie.  When I get home, that's the first thing she does, stretches out really long like that.  It never ceases to amaze me.  I'm not sure if that's something only black cats do, but I've never seen any others do that.  It's really cool! I'll have to try and snap a photo of Annie doing that some time.