Options

Please stop calling him "Uncle Neil"...

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
...unless he really is your uncle.  This is just my two cents and I'm OK with anyone disagreeing, but, you know, I always speak my mind so.... 

I think it's time to stop referring to the man as "Uncle Neil".  I kind of doubt Ed and company do- at least not any more.  Yeah, it was kind of cute at first, but it's gotten rather old hasn't it?  I'm willing to bet at least half of those who post here weren't even born when Neil Young started out.  So what does that make him?  Grandpa Neil?  I was around when Young started out.  When I was 16, I ran lights for a Buffalo Springfield show in 1967- in fact, ran the main spot on Mr. Young- and even I don't call him "Uncle Neil".  So please at least consider just calling him Neil or Neil Young or maybe even Mr. Young. 

Of course if you want to tell me too stuff it, that's OK too I suppose.  But at least consider the suggestion.  Thanks.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited July 2019

😉
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    edited July 2019
    Sorry, Uncle Brian. It won't happen again. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,867
    Can we call Bruce Springsteen "Uncle Bruce" still?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    I always thought calling a family friend Uncle was lame.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    Aunt Neil it is!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    edited July 2019
    I think the jamily agrees that it doesn’t get Eddie Vedder than uncle Neil!  

And I agree with you 100%, it is so lame to call him uncle Neil.  You aren’t in the band and he isn’t your uncle.  

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think the jamily agrees that it doesn’t get Eddie Vedder than uncle Neil!  

:sick::lol:
    I always thought calling a family friend Uncle was lame.

I get what you mean, however, K calls adoptive mom of two siblings Aunt Holly. Aunt Holly is the reason we have K. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    Aunt exception sounds perfectly ok
      :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    :lol:  I love these responses! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,977
    What about ”the godfather of grunge” then?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2019
    Only if we can start calling Eddie, “Cousin Eddie.”
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/LSqb4e8mUd4
  • Options
    PROMISE OF THE REAL JUST NOW CALLED NEIL ”UNCLE NEIL” FROM THE STAGE IN DUBLIN. 

BOOM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    deadendp said:
    https://youtu.be/LSqb4e8mUd4
    I named this guy after him:
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    What about ”the godfather of grunge” then?
    Oh lord no.  It seems to me even Eddie Vedder is not fond of the term "grunge".

• Options

BOOM
    Duly noted.  I'll have to have a word with those punks.  Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

BOOM
    Duly noted.  I'll have to have a word with those punks.  Thanks for the heads up!
    When you skype them, please tell them to return to Europe next year? :P
  • Options
    brianlux said:

BOOM
    When you skype them, please tell them to return to Europe next year? :P
    LOL, will do!

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I always thought it was weird, too. Like I get people within the music industry calling him that. Seems silly when fans do it. 
  • Options
    I always thought it was weird, too. Like I get people within the music industry calling him that. Seems silly when fans do it. 
    Exactly.

I'm not saying there should be a rule or law against it (if there was, then maybe in the spirit of rock and roll it should be broken). But for me to say that would feel a little bit obsequious or sycophantic.  And I don't know this, but I'm guessing Young must find it a bit embarrassing or something. Or maybe he's just too busy to care?

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    It should just be ‘Neil’. There’s no need for the ‘Young’ part any more. POTR have been referring to the tour as ‘Neil and the Real’ on their Instagram posts.

The Godfather Of Grunge thing was always lame though.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    It should just be ‘Neil’. There’s no need for the ‘Young’ part any more. POTR have been referring to the tour as ‘Neil and the Real’ on their Instagram posts.

The Godfather Of Grunge thing was always lame though.
    "Neil" it is!  :smile:

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Never used the term, never will.

I guess it's one of those things I don't give a shit if someone else does.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    In order of lameness:
    1. “It doesn’t get Eddie Vedder than this.”
    2.  Jamily
    3. Uncle Neil

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    Who gives a shit? Call him what you want..... This place cracks me up sometimes, it's like the cool kids table only.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    In order of lameness:
    1. “It doesn’t get Eddie Vedder than this.”
    2.  Jamily
    3. Uncle Neil

LOL, you said it, McG.  Cute but... nooooooooooo!  :lol:

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    Who gives a shit? Call him what you want..... This place cracks me up sometimes, it's like the cool kids table only.
    Point taken but if you read through the thread, you'll see it's mostly just tossing some shit around and throwing in a few laughs.  :smile:

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    I never sat at the cool kid table, but you are welcome to hang with me. I'll even share my snack cake with you. 
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    brianlux said:
    Attaway77 said:
    Point taken but if you read through the thread, you'll see it's mostly just tossing some shit around and throwing in a few laughs.  :smile:

I did.... This is what you said "This is just my two cents and I'm OK with anyone disagreeing"  So I did. It's all good man...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    brianlux said:
    Attaway77 said:

I did.... This is what you said "This is just my two cents and I'm OK with anyone disagreeing"  So I did. It's all good man...
    No worries, Attaway, it's all cool.  :smile: