MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited July 2019
    10 means the guy who started the inning gets a second at bat, right?  That's the correct answer haha.
    So around the clock means the little hand is on the 1? That makes no sense.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    There was a poll on reddit regarding some baseball arguments which have no consensus answer.  One of the questions was about the term batting "around the order" and whether it means 9 batters bat or 10 batters bat.  About 2/3 of the responses were in favor or 10 batters.  I'm in the 1/3 minority that believes batting around is 9 batters.  If something happens "around the clock," that means 24 hours, not 25.  What's everyone here think?
    Around gives the connotation of a circle. You don't come full circle or complete the loop until you get back to the beginning. Thus, imo, the answer is 10.
    But you do get back to the beginning because that would be the first guy up next inning if batter 9 makes the final out of the inning.  There's no one in between the 9th an 1st batter creating a gap.
    If the lead off guy doesn't bat again, you don't get back to the beginning. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I vote for 10 but it is an interesting discussion....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    If the lead off guy doesn't bat again, you don't get back to the beginning. 
    Yes you do, he's the first guy up next inning if the final out is during batter 9.
    A batting order isn't 10 people, guys.  Come on.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    You went all the way around and are starting over again in the same inning.  Boom.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    This whole conversation made me do a complete 360 and completed a half flip...

Batting around is 10 batters.
    None of that make any logical sense. "The batting order" is 9 guys. if all 9 complete a plate appearance, regardless of outcome of the 9th guy, that is batting around "the order."
    Why is everyone stuck on the first guy having to bat twice?  If I work "around the clock," I don't work the noon hour again when it comes back around.
    edited July 2019
    Anyway, agree to disagree on that one.  Only one person I've asked so far agrees that 9 is correct (he played collegiate baseball, but so did another friend and he says 10).  There is no correct answer as it isn't defined by MLB, but the consensus is 10.  I'll live with that and know in my head that any logical reasoning leads to 9.

Another question was - and I forget how exactly it was worded but - when a batter faces a defensive shift, does he "beat the shift" when a) he hits it to the open side or b) he hits is thru the stacked side or c) either.  I say either on this one.  No matter where you hit the ball, you've overcome their defensive strategy  designed to get you out. Obviously things like walks, hit by pitch, & not completing the strikeout don't count as beating the shift; the ball should be put in play.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

But is it really?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    DewieCox said:

But is it really?
    :lol:  To me, it is.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    So Yankees fans.. is there a Trevor Bauer for Frazier and German deal to be had this month?
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    So Yankees fans.. is there a Trevor Bauer for Frazier and German deal to be had this month?
    Frazier and German seems a bit rich to me.  I'd think you can get one of them plus a good prospect and a young prospect.  I'd be surprised to see them put German in that deal.

What do you think?  Are they really going to trade their best pitcher when they have a realistic shot at the playoffs?
    mrussel1 said:
    Frazier and German seems a bit rich to me.  I'd think you can get one of them plus a good prospect and a young prospect.  I'd be surprised to see them put German in that deal.

What do you think?  Are they really going to trade their best pitcher when they have a realistic shot at the playoffs?
    He's not necessarily our ace.  Our staff is really strong right now, and that's even without Kluber and Carrasco.  I expect Kluber back soon, but Carrasco I fear is out for the year.  The bullpen has been solid, anchored by Hand.  Team is 3rd in the AL in ERA. 

It's no secret that Bauer is not resigning in Cleveland.  We still have a year of control after this, so if we want two big league players, now is the time to do it.  I'm not sure that they move Bauer for a young, but good player like Frazier and a prospect.  I think it would need to be someone a bit more proven.  Leverage goes down next year.  We definitely need an outfielder and I think it's important to have someone to slot into the rotation (like German) if Klub and Cookie aren't in the mix.  

The Tribe is in a weird spot where we have enough talent to win, but it feels like not quite enough to get by Houston or the Yanks.  So I think they have to figure out how walk that tightrope.  
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He's not necessarily our ace.  Our staff is really strong right now, and that's even without Kluber and Carrasco.  I expect Kluber back soon, but Carrasco I fear is out for the year.  The bullpen has been solid, anchored by Hand.  Team is 3rd in the AL in ERA. 

It's no secret that Bauer is not resigning in Cleveland.  We still have a year of control after this, so if we want two big league players, now is the time to do it.  I'm not sure that they move Bauer for a young, but good player like Frazier and a prospect.  I think it would need to be someone a bit more proven.  Leverage goes down next year.  We definitely need an outfielder and I think it's important to have someone to slot into the rotation (like German) if Klub and Cookie aren't in the mix.  

The Tribe is in a weird spot where we have enough talent to win, but it feels like not quite enough to get by Houston or the Yanks.  So I think they have to figure out how walk that tightrope.  
    Yankees don't need to make a trade for a guy with an expiring contract. 
    I miss igotid88
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

German with a nice outing tonight. I really don’t see them trading him but who knows. His flaw was control and he seems to have fixed it. Bauer is good but I don’t se the point in that trade if you are giving up that important of a piece on your big league team.  I’d be curious to see who they’d pull the trigger on, German or the Garcia kid since the goal is winning this year. The extra year helps for sure, I just have a tough time seeing them give up something like 8-9 years of Frazier and German for 1.5 of Bauer 

Kluber was having a bit of a down year when he got hurt though, right?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

German with a nice outing tonight. I really don’t see them trading him but who knows. His flaw was control and he seems to have fixed it. Bauer is good but I don’t se the point in that trade if you are giving up that important of a piece on your big league team.  I’d be curious to see who they’d pull the trigger on, German or the Garcia kid since the goal is winning this year. The extra year helps for sure, I just have a tough time seeing them give up something like 8-9 years of Frazier and German for 1.5 of Bauer 

He was hurt may 2nd, so a bit early to tell.  Clev is back,  3rd start since he was injured.  Gave us 5 innings,  92 pitches,  1 run against the Twins.  
    A year and a half control for the Yankees is an eternity plus they can re-sign whoever they want.  I'd be surprised if that deterred them from a deal.  
    If the Tribe are in striking distance,  they will want two big leaguers for Bauer. 
    Anyway, agree to disagree on that one.  Only one person I've asked so far agrees that 9 is correct (he played collegiate baseball, but so did another friend and he says 10).  There is no correct answer as it isn't defined by MLB, but the consensus is 10.  I'll live with that and know in my head that any logical reasoning leads to 9.

Another question was - and I forget how exactly it was worded but - when a batter faces a defensive shift, does he "beat the shift" when a) he hits it to the open side or b) he hits is thru the stacked side or c) either.  I say either on this one.  No matter where you hit the ball, you've overcome their defensive strategy  designed to get you out. Obviously things like walks, hit by pitch, & not completing the strikeout don't count as beating the shift; the ball should be put in play.
    I say either for beating the shift. As long as you get a hit, you've foiled the opponent's strategy. I was going to say as long as you put the ball in play and make it to first safely, but that includes errors, which isn't really beating the strategy. Personally, I like seeing guys go the opposite way against the shift, especially bunts that piss off the other team.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Frazier is the one I see them giving up. He's always the guy who gets sent down. Whenever an injured player comes back or a player they trade for arrives.
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Touching and an awesome moment from the Angels in honor of Tyler Skaggs before, during and after the game

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Touching and an awesome moment from the Angels in honor of Tyler Skaggs before, during and after the game

Yes. So great to see that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Any thoughts? 

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1799200

Report: MLB could have international draft in place by 2020
    8h ago
    Quinn Harris / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CHICAGO ILLINOIS - JULY 13 A detailed view of baseballs during batting practice prior to the start of the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Pittsburgh Pirates at Wrigley Field on July 13 2019 in Chicago Illinois

Major League Baseball is trying to implement an international draft as soon as 2020, Ben Badler of Baseball America reports.

League officials told teams on Tuesday that owners support the goal and want it in place as soon as possible, according to Balder.

The players' association would need to approve any sort of proposal once it's finalized.

Some of the reported concepts for the draft - which could occur in August of next year - include 20 rounds, the trading of picks between teams, slot values, and protected selections in the top-three rounds to ensure a club would get a compensation pick if a draftee didn't sign.

The order of the draft would be determined by division and rotate each year rather than by awarding the team with the worst record the No. 1 overall pick, Balder notes.

The age at which players can sign would reportedly remain at 16.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I like how he turns and watches it!  Love it when pros - especially hall of famers - take a few seconds to make a kid's day.
    I heard recently that Mariano Rivera charges $500 to get his autograph. Anyone know if there is truth to that?  I surely hope he wouldn't deny a kid an auto because they can't cough up 5 Benjamins.  If that is the case, it sours me on him.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    ^^^That is awesome.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I like how he turns and watches it!  Love it when pros - especially hall of famers - take a few seconds to make a kid's day.
    I heard recently that Mariano Rivera charges $500 to get his autograph. Anyone know if there is truth to that?  I surely hope he wouldn't deny a kid an auto because they can't cough up 5 Benjamins.  If that is the case, it sours me on him.
    I’d like to think that’s just a deterrent to getting hounded by adults or to show up at shows and stuff. I’d think it takes a cold bastard to look any kid in the eye and tel him no.