Peak To Sky - July 5th & 6th

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    WSUFreak said:
    no, super small.  less than half full last night.
    That stinks, hopefully tonight has a bigger turn out.  Have fun and be safe!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332

• WSUFreakWSUFreak Posts: 122
    Just about time for Brandi Carlisle 
    Mike joins Brandi for Wish You Were Here

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Brisk. said:
    Setlist? 
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-mccready/2019/big-sky-town-center-big-sky-mt-739ea6e9.html

Best I can find.  I didn't see it in the Given to Fly section
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2019
    A lot of highlights from last night.  My brain is fried from the show and the over 8hr drive home today but my top 5:
    1) The closer - Purple Rain.  Josh nailed it on vocals.  Just a rocking good time and excellent closer. 
    2) Sway - Stones cover.  Just awesome. It’s Mike’s favourite Stones tune and it was just rockin with Brandi on vocals. 
    3) Ziggy Stardust - Hawkins nailed the vocals here.  He channeled some inner Bowie, Freddy Mercury and David Lee Roth last night. 
    4) Drum off - Hawkins and Chad Smith having a blast. It’s already up on YouTube. Mike’s “mind was blown”. 
    5) Wish You Were Here - Mike and Brandi Pink Floyd cover.  Hilarious slip up and comments from Brandi (I can’t figure out how to upload the video from my phone) but after the restart they nailed it. Just awesome. 

Honourable mentions - Good Times Bad Times, Sweet Emotion, Eruption (3rd time I’ve seen Mike play it.. awesome every time), Ain’t Talkin Bout Love, Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, Under Pressure....  Honestly, the whole show rocked. Bunch of friends having a blast and it showed. 

Was on the rail in front of Josh.  Wicked show all around.  Hats off to Brandi Carlile, she is a great performer.  Check out Page and the Peoples Band.  They are locals and that young lady has an amazing voice.  They were a lot of fun (oddly enough the Canadian customs agent at the Sweetgrass border crossing was the Sax player’s doppelgänger, complete with the Bill Clinton shades 😂).

Hopefully it is a go next year. We will go both days for sure! 

Edit: Found a quick link of Purple Rain:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzmltgVAgG-/
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    edited July 2019
    Post edited by demetrios on
    https://www.facebook.com/MikeMcCreadyPJ/videos/361873064474618/

Can't really describe in words how much fun #PeakToSky was this past weekend! I hope this video gives you a glimpse. 

Thanks to all my musician friends who took this journey with me! #ChadSmith Duff McKagan Taylor Hawkins #JoshKlinghoffer Brandi Carlile Thunderpussy Infinite Color & Sound caspar babypants Paige And The People's Band Dammit Lauren and The Well
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Looks like a small venue. Would have been awesome to see all that talent in one place. Montana is just so far away. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    https://www.facebook.com/125191790890765/posts/2251166061626650/?substory_index=0

One of my all time favorite voices... and a dear friend. #PeakToSky @brandicarlile

demetrios said:
    https://www.facebook.com/125191790890765/posts/2251166061626650/?substory_index=0

One of my all time favorite voices... and a dear friend. #PeakToSky @brandicarlile

Their version of Wish You Were Here at Peak to Sky was amazing. Reached down inside of me and brought tears to my eyes.  She’s an amazing talent and well... Mike was in the moment.   Being there was a gift 

edited July 2019
    Babe I’m Gonna Leave You with Brandi on vocals... magic 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-J-pZkrt84
    edited July 2019
    Purple Rain closer with Josh Klinghoffer killing it on vocals.  Brandi,  Thunderpussy, Paige and all the kids on stage. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPl4jZco8k
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Thanks for sharing that Purple Rain was great!
    Peak To Sky - Babe I’m Gonna Leave You - Brandi Carlile, Mike McCready and Friends

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    what was the reason for doing this in the middle of nowhere?
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited July 2019
    Brisk. said:
    I’ll preface this by saying that to me Big Sky isn’t “nowhere”.  But I’m a person that thinks large cities (including the one I live in) are nowhere and the mountains are “somewhere” .

Mike and his family have a vacation home in Big Sky MT which has a great ski hill, hiking, etc.   According to the first-time promoter (a local business man I am led to believe) who spoke at the show before the boys came on told the story and I will attempt to paraphrase it.
    He knew Mike for a while and always wanted to put something like this together in Big Sky. Willie Nelson played there in ‘03 and I believe he started thinking bigger. He finally worked up the nerve to ask Mike while sharing a chair up the mountain skiing if he would be interested.  That got the ball rolling. Mike began to ask his musician friends and the promoter began lining up sponsors, venue, etc.  In his preamble it appears the quality of the musicians was greater than he had hoped or expected. 

In a nutshell, a guy who knew Mike had the balls, cash and connections to make it happen.   Hats off to him! For a first festival
    it went off without a hitch and I’ll be back next year that’s for damn sure. It’s an 8hr drive for us but I’ll do it again every year. 

Bonus for us... hiking the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park on the way to Big Sky and visiting Old Faithful and Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone.  It’s amazing how the Rockies change as you travel north/south while still majestic, wondrous and leaving me in awe.  THAT is “somewhere”.  :) 

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Brisk. said:
    I’ll preface this by saying that to me Big Sky isn’t “nowhere”.  But I’m a person that thinks large cities (including the one I live in) are nowhere and the mountains are “somewhere” .

Mike and his family have a vacation home in Big Sky MT which has a great ski hill, hiking, etc.   According to the first-time promoter (a local business man I am led to believe) who spoke at the show before the boys came on told the story and I will attempt to paraphrase it.
    He knew Mike for a while and always wanted to put something like this together in Big Sky. Willie Nelson played there in ‘03 and I believe he started thinking bigger. He finally worked up the nerve to ask Mike while sharing a chair up the mountain skiing if he would be interested.  That got the ball rolling. Mike began to ask his musician friends and the promoter began lining up sponsors, venue, etc.  In his preamble it appears the quality of the musicians was greater than he had hoped or expected. 

In a nutshell, a guy who knew Mike had the balls, cash and connections to make it happen.   Hats off to him! For a first festival
    it went off without a hitch and I’ll be back next year that’s for damn sure. It’s an 8hr drive for us but I’ll do it again every year. 

Bonus for us... hiking the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park on the way to Big Sky and visiting Old Faithful and Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone.  It’s amazing how the Rockies change as you travel north/south while still majestic, wondrous and leaving me in awe.  THAT is “somewhere”.  :) 

That's a cool story. So it's going to be an annual festival? Is the idea that someone curates it every year? Or just Mike?
    edited July 2019
    pjl44 said:
    Brisk. said:

That's a cool story. So it's going to be an annual festival? Is the idea that someone curates it every year? Or just Mike?
    I would say that Mike will remain involved and the plan is to grow the event and hold it annually.  It was estimated 4,500 attended on Saturday from some stuff I read. 
    My thinking is that Mike would want to be involved as a way to promote the bands on his label and provide exposure to some bands he admires. 
    Overall just a blast.  It really was a great night in a beautiful part of the world.