jim morrison

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
edited January 2006 in Other Music
instead of dying, if jim morrison had quit the doors and lived a quiet life and died of natural causes today, would he still have been as legendary? how much of a role did his untimely death play in his status of a rock god?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    obviously he was elevated to mythical legend status when he died. however, he was held in mythical legend status by many before he died. the answer to your question lies in 12 minutes of sonic art at the end of the doors' first album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    well think about (god forbid) if eddie died. he would be elevated to a kurt cobain like status. what if kurt was still alive today? he wouldnt be known aswell as he is today. i kinda look at trent reznor as what kurt would have been like if he had been alive today, kurt probably would have sobered up etc etc etc, coz trent had had some fucked up times...
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • cccrankcccrank Posts: 18
    I don't think Jim would have quit the band...at least not right away. Right before he died, he called Ray from Paris and said "I've got some great ideas for the next one," in reference to the next album. I don't know if this is just the legend of him playing in, or if it actually is this way, but it just kind of seemed like he was ready to die. I can't picture someone like Jim Morrison growing old, for whatever reason.
    “He's mythological to me, like Zeus or Thor. I don't want to dispel all the myths and mysteries that surround some of his stuff, which I think is just absolutely phenomenal, inspiring and righteous.”

-Ryan Adams on Bob Dylan
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I really like the doors music... but I find morrison kind of pretentious..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I have to imiagine he would not be as popular, but like someone already said he was riding a pretty big wave back then already.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    instead of dying, if jim morrison had quit the doors and lived a quiet life and died of natural causes today, would he still have been as legendary? how much of a role did his untimely death play in his status of a rock god?

all rock gods or icons are ones that have "left us"..

Paul McCartney is maybe the exception, but generally the icon status is granted until the person dies..

Shannon Hoon, Layne Staley and Andrew Wood appear to have legendary status, at least by some on here, and accordingly their icon status is probably more of that than say Springsteen, Dylan or even Vedder.... the only reason being that they have passed on, it could hardly be for their contribution to revolutionising music can it ;)

Presley changed the world as did Hendrix... Staley couldnt even change his socks.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

Presley changed the world as did Hendrix... Staley couldnt even change his socks.
    Layne changed me a hell of a lot more than presley did. if people matter to individual people then that is all that counts
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Layne changed me a hell of a lot more than presley did. if people matter to individual people then that is all that counts

fair enough, but no Presley then no fuckin Stayley... thats quite important.

he was a shock to a putrid and saccharine system, he allowed rock'n'roll to become the "danger" it is! Thus the guys we idolise today are indebted, along with the Beatles, to him.

it is pure fact that when any "star" dies then his back catalogue shoots through the roof, although i doubt this to be the case when Gary Glitter is hopefully stabbed in the face a few thousand times.... people like dead rock stars more than they like them alive... its a sad state of affairs really.... they want a dead mans music more than they want a new album of new songs :confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Jim dies 48 years ago today. The Doors are still one of the best bands ever.

www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jim is living on an island of an undisclosed location.

Ray knows!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Ray knows!

great read!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

Ray knows!

great read!
    It really is!  I wish Ray had done more writing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

Ray knows!

great read!
    Me too. Is this his only work of fiction? 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

Ray knows!

great read!
    I believe so.  The only other book of his I've seen is Light My Fire; My Life With the Doors which was quite good.  I also really like John Densmore's two Doors books.  Pretty cool to have two members of a great band who can/could write decently!

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    brianlux said:

Um, Jim rarely smiled.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    brianlux said:
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

Ray knows!

great read!
    I believe so.  The only other book of his I've seen is Light My Fire; My Life With the Doors which was quite good.  I also really like John Densmore's two Doors books.  Pretty cool to have two members of a great band who can/could write decently!
    I've read those both before too (well, one by Densmore. I wasn't aware he had a second book). Both great reads.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

brianlux said:

Um, Jim rarely smiled.
    If you played with his hair he did!