2018/2019 NBA Thread

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Take this for what it's worth, Kendrick Perkins says Kawhi goes to the Lakers.

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,143
    23scidoo said:
    Kanter on Celtics..
    haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,605
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  

Ha, no way.  Only one of those guys is protected by the officials.  Plus LBJ has never had a major injury and look how he plays the game.  Brady does not play the game like Lebron.  They are worlds apart.  
    I wish Lebron still played lights out, lock down defense...
    Yeah, he takes a few more plays off than he used to do.  That was my point about him showing some age at 32.  But he still plays so smart.  His charges taken are higher than ever in his career.  And his chase down blocks are still a thing of beauty.  The one on Iggy in game 7 is an all timer of a moment.  
    They made a pair of shoes commemorating that moment.
    https://sneakernews.com/2017/01/25/nike-lebron-14-chase-down-release-date/

Had he not had his dunk contested and fouled that would have been the defining play but we have that beautiful "chase down" to remember!
    I like em!  Wonder why they're called "14"?  I have a soft spot for that moment as the Cavs are the only champions for Cleveland in my lifetime.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  

Ha, no way.  Only one of those guys is protected by the officials.  Plus LBJ has never had a major injury and look how he plays the game.  Brady does not play the game like Lebron.  They are worlds apart.  
    I wish Lebron still played lights out, lock down defense...
    Yeah, he takes a few more plays off than he used to do.  That was my point about him showing some age at 32.  But he still plays so smart.  His charges taken are higher than ever in his career.  And his chase down blocks are still a thing of beauty.  The one on Iggy in game 7 is an all timer of a moment.  
    They made a pair of shoes commemorating that moment.
    https://sneakernews.com/2017/01/25/nike-lebron-14-chase-down-release-date/

Had he not had his dunk contested and fouled that would have been the defining play but we have that beautiful "chase down" to remember!
    I like em!  Wonder why they're called "14"?  I have a soft spot for that moment as the Cavs are the only champions for Cleveland in my lifetime.  
    Just like the Jordan series the "14" is his 14th signature shoe.  Rarely does someone call them the XIV.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Al Horford making a difference...LOL
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,028

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
    as it drags out longer, I think im leaning towards this......Kawhi won (2) titles by putting 2 teams on his back ( Spurs big 3 was old in 2014)……. He could now put it in cruise control and tally up some rings for his legacy without carrying all that weight.....Lakers would still need to fill out the roster with some ring chasers,  we've seen it before
    CROJAM95 said:

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
    as it drags out longer, I think im leaning towards this......Kawhi won (2) titles by putting 2 teams on his back ( Spurs big 3 was old in 2014)……. He could now put it in cruise control and tally up some rings for his legacy without carrying all that weight.....Lakers would still need to fill out the roster with some ring chasers,  we've seen it before
    I remember the Lakers doing this with Nash, Malone, and Payton to the tune of zero rings I believe.
    CROJAM95 said:

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
    I remember the Lakers doing this with Nash, Malone, and Payton to the tune of zero rings I believe.
    AD & Kawhi alone is dominance on so many levels.....Add a healthier Lebron, Kuzma, Iguadala and a few decent players....im not saying its a foregone conclusion cause there are a bunch of interesting teams, but they are as good as any.
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
    AD & Kawhi alone is dominance on so many levels.....Add a healthier Lebron, Kuzma, Iguadala and a few decent players....im not saying its a foregone conclusion cause there are a bunch of interesting teams, but they are as good as any.
    Only if they gel.  Raptors jelled because they only replaced one part.  The Lakers have many new parts.

Sometimes it doesn't work.

I would LOVE for it to work.  LBJ and Kawhi would have 3 rings from 3 different teams.  Talk a bout a legacy and one in the making!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,605
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
    Honestly that would be the best team.  You could put Lebron at the point and let him run the show.  They would have to be the odds on favorites.  I'm excited for next year already.  The whole league feels wide open.  It will be the best season in years.  
    Its also like when the Yankees are great, lot of hate but great for the league. The Lakers have been shit for too long.....Lakers/76ers has a nice ring to it for next year....would be great final
    CROJAM95 said:
    Its also like when the Yankees are great, lot of hate but great for the league. The Lakers have been shit for too long.....Lakers/76ers has a nice ring to it for next year....would be great final
    Giannis ain't gong out like last year.  If there isn't a Kawhi to stop him.

The 76ers/Bucks playoff battle could be amazing!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,179
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Say friggin what?!?

I'd LOVE that!!!
     LBJ and Kawhi would have 3 rings from 3 different teams.  
    This sums up the modern NBA perfectly.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited July 2019
    I heard on the Canadian news that a group wants a team in Vancouver?  I do not think these folks have the money...it sounds like they want Vancouver back on the NBA radar if they expand north?  Why?  They had a team.  It did not work.  I'd like a team in Montreal.  Instant rivalry with Toronto.  However, the commish says no expansion is happening anytime soon.  
    Was it an attendance issue with the Grizzlies?  I cant remember
    No, it wasn't the cause of the failure. Of course, in 6 seasons in Vancouver the Grizzlies had the worst record in the league, so obviously that lead to absolutely terrible attendance - it was good the first season, and went steadily downhill from there. But that was really because the team sucked shit because of the expansion draft rules at the time, not because of a lack of interest. I think that whole thing made the NBA change the rules for expansion drafts actually.
    I remember how fucking easy it was to go to games though. Seriously, people couldn't get rid of the tickets for Grizzlies games, lol. I went to a TON of them even though I hate basketball, just because completely free tickets wouldn't stop coming my way. :lol: Free Grizzlies tix EVERYWHERE! Like, by the last couple years it wouldn't have surprised people if they just came upon Grizzlies tix on the ground as they walk down a sidewalk, hahaha. Of course, all live sporting events are a blast - I don't have to like the sport to go.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Vancouver Grizzlies relocation to Memphis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Grizzlies_relocation_to_Memphis

The location of the team in Canada was a major contributor; at the time the exchange rate was 67 U.S. cents to the Canadian dollar. Because revenue was collected in Canadian dollars but player and coach salaries were paid in U.S. dollars, the team ended up spending an undue amount of its revenue on salaries.[6] The 1998–99 lockout was the pivoting point for home game attendance. While the whole league experienced a drop in attendance after the lockout, Vancouver experienced an even larger fall.[13] The average attendance in 1997–98 was 16,108, ranking 16th in the league,[14] while it fell to 13,899 in 1999–00, ranking 27th.[15]

Pretty hard to compete when our dollar is the crappy.

The Raptors benefited from being in a much better market and obviously, Toronto is a better sports city and could easily handle 2 NHL teams and an NFL team...

Could Vancouver?  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

The location of the team in Canada was a major contributor; at the time the exchange rate was 67 U.S. cents to the Canadian dollar. Because revenue was collected in Canadian dollars but player and coach salaries were paid in U.S. dollars, the team ended up spending an undue amount of its revenue on salaries.[6] The 1998–99 lockout was the pivoting point for home game attendance. While the whole league experienced a drop in attendance after the lockout, Vancouver experienced an even larger fall.[13] The average attendance in 1997–98 was 16,108, ranking 16th in the league,[14] while it fell to 13,899 in 1999–00, ranking 27th.[15]

The Raptors benefited from being in a much better market and obviously, Toronto is a better sports city and could easily handle 2 NHL teams and an NFL team...

Could Vancouver?  

The attendance was the deadly symptom of failure, not the cause. The cause was really the expansion draft and the inability of the team to sign an all-star. If the team had done better attendance would have been better too.
    But we don't need to try again. People are spending all their money on the insane cost of living here now. Nobody can afford basketball tickets.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    After spending all week in Nashville im surprised they dont ever enter the discussion.   Huge city.  Good sports town. Beautiful arena that the Predators could share.  Just dont take the Pelicans
    After spending all week in Nashville im surprised they dont ever enter the discussion.   Huge city.  Good sports town. Beautiful arena that the Predators could share.  Just dont take the Pelicans
    2 teams in Tennessee with none in Seattle, I don’t know... they gotta get the Sonics back
    PJ_Soul said:

Could Vancouver?  

The attendance was the deadly symptom of failure, not the cause. The cause was really the expansion draft and the inability of the team to sign an all-star. If the team had done better attendance would have been better too.
    But we don't need to try again. People are spending all their money on the insane cost of living here now. Nobody can afford basketball tickets.
    Drafting Big Country Reeves was a mistake and getting rid of Rahim was another so you could blame that on their losing.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,143
    They need to reduce the amount of teams, not add more.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:

Could Vancouver?  

All excellent points.  The NBA commissioner is in support of another NBA team in Vancouver.  May they should try Montreal first?

And you are right Vancouver/BC is insanely expensive to live...you would only have the well off attending games.

The $$$ does hurt Canadian teams...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    As a raptors fan I would love Leonard to come back and I feel that he will but if he doesn't then I want him on the Clippers mostly cause I want to see the lakers fail which they will if they don't get Leonard. 

maybe I will get slammed for this but if the Lakers don't get Leonard, I could see them either being a bottom seed or not making the playoffs next year even with James and AD.
    fife said:
    As a raptors fan I would love Leonard to come back and I feel that he will but if he doesn't then I want him on the Clippers mostly cause I want to see the lakers fail which they will if they don't get Leonard. 

maybe I will get slammed for this but if the Lakers don't get Leonard, I could see them either being a bottom seed or not making the playoffs next year even with James and AD.
    The Clippers are out.  It's between Toronto and LA.  Chris Carter says the announcement will be tomorrow.  Many say the Raptors are front runners, but it's close...

Give Peas A Chance…
    fife said:

It will not be a 2-year deal.  That has been reported.  I say 5-year max for Toronto?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    If they dont get Kawhi the Lakers will get Marcus Morris, Danny Green, Kyle Korver, probably Boogie.  They’ll be a playoff team barring injury.  Anthony Davis is like Samuel L Jackson’s character on Unbreakable.  Mr Glass
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    fife said:

The Clippers are out.  It's between Toronto and LA.  Chris Carter says the announcement will be tomorrow.  Many say the Raptors are front runners, but it's close...

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I don't think there is any coming back from losing your team to the city of Memphis.  All future rights are void.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    If they dont get Kawhi the Lakers will get Marcus Morris, Danny Green, Kyle Korver, probably Boogie.  They’ll be a playoff team barring injury.  Anthony Davis is like Samuel L Jackson’s character on Unbreakable.  Mr Glass
    I heard that the spurs are going for Boogie.  as for Green that depends on where Leonard signs, i could see him come back to toronto if leonard signs there.  AD for me has always been overrated.  yes he is a great player but people saying he is a top 5 players doesn't make sense to me.