The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I honestly cannot believe how dumb and tone deaf they still are. Finding a way to lose 
    Scarborough called it what it was... a clown show.  Here's the other thing that vexes me.  There's this 'thought' that even the NYT and MSNBC has bought into, that the party is radically left.  I don't believe it is.  I think the loudest voices are hard left and it's pulling both the candidates and the media that way, to the chagrin of me and I'm sure many US Democrats here on the board.  

I mean, here we are, the actual voting Democrats on the board of a liberal band like PJ.com, and we all seem to be in shock.  The people here that seem to  gravitate to the policies of the very progressive wing are our friends from Canada, Australia and Europe.  I mean no disrespect to them, but the point is that every time I see an opinion from someone that I know is in the US, it's much closer to the moderate position than the hard progressive.  I'm very, very worried because these candidates are not representing mainstream views.  
    I don't think it's a Canadian or Australian or European thing. And using the members that post in here -- and I try to avoid this place at all costs, but I occasionally do find myself regretfully clicking through here (when the rest of the site seems to be slow) to see what everyone is not listening to each other at all about this time -- is a ridiculously thin reed.

Anyway, I am an American, and I have not voted in a presidential election since 2000 (maybe 2004) simply because there has not been a candidate who was young enough and progressive enough for me to check the box next to his or her name. I still vote for issues and local candidates who meet my criteria, but I imagine I'll be leaving a blank box again in 2020.

I don't think I'm the only American out there like this. I'm sure some hold their nose and check a box, but I would guess that more progressives show up, vote for legal weed, against existing discriminatory policies that affect the LGBTQ+ community, for their local progressive candidates, and throw up in their mouth a little when they see the presidential candidates who have to put their teeth in to eat breakfast, leaving that spot blank.

There are a couple of candidates who would actually get me excited to go to the polls this time around, but I'm almost certain that they'll be put back in their place by the establishment jackasses, their media mouthpieces and their donors by the time November 2020 rolls around.
    So you are saying that you would vote for:
    1. Free healthcare for undocumented immigrants
    2. Waiving 1.6 trillion in student loans
    3. Reparations
    4. Re-instituting federally mandated busing

Legal weed and equal rights are pretty mainstream items.  I wouldn't even call them progressive.  
    I'm not saying any of that. And I wouldn't do so in this forum. 
    Well those are the type of policy proposals that could cause four more years of Trump.  It's not weed and LGBTQ rights. 
    So be it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I honestly cannot believe how dumb and tone deaf they still are. Finding a way to lose 
    Scarborough called it what it was... a clown show.  Here's the other thing that vexes me.  There's this 'thought' that even the NYT and MSNBC has bought into, that the party is radically left.  I don't believe it is.  I think the loudest voices are hard left and it's pulling both the candidates and the media that way, to the chagrin of me and I'm sure many US Democrats here on the board.  

I mean, here we are, the actual voting Democrats on the board of a liberal band like PJ.com, and we all seem to be in shock.  The people here that seem to  gravitate to the policies of the very progressive wing are our friends from Canada, Australia and Europe.  I mean no disrespect to them, but the point is that every time I see an opinion from someone that I know is in the US, it's much closer to the moderate position than the hard progressive.  I'm very, very worried because these candidates are not representing mainstream views.  
    I don't think it's a Canadian or Australian or European thing. And using the members that post in here -- and I try to avoid this place at all costs, but I occasionally do find myself regretfully clicking through here (when the rest of the site seems to be slow) to see what everyone is not listening to each other at all about this time -- is a ridiculously thin reed.

Anyway, I am an American, and I have not voted in a presidential election since 2000 (maybe 2004) simply because there has not been a candidate who was young enough and progressive enough for me to check the box next to his or her name. I still vote for issues and local candidates who meet my criteria, but I imagine I'll be leaving a blank box again in 2020.

I don't think I'm the only American out there like this. I'm sure some hold their nose and check a box, but I would guess that more progressives show up, vote for legal weed, against existing discriminatory policies that affect the LGBTQ+ community, for their local progressive candidates, and throw up in their mouth a little when they see the presidential candidates who have to put their teeth in to eat breakfast, leaving that spot blank.

There are a couple of candidates who would actually get me excited to go to the polls this time around, but I'm almost certain that they'll be put back in their place by the establishment jackasses, their media mouthpieces and their donors by the time November 2020 rolls around.
    3. Reparations

Legal weed and equal rights are pretty mainstream items.  I wouldn't even call them progressive.  
    Well those are the type of policy proposals that could cause four more years of Trump.  It's not weed and LGBTQ rights. 
    So be it.
    I guess that's one way of dealing with it.  
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    That turned rather efffking quickly didn't it?
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Obama was in his late 40's and embraced many progressive policies (Obamacare, LGBTQ rights, DACA and DAPA for example). 

Was he too old? Or was he not progressive enough? 
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Obama was in his late 40's and embraced many progressive policies (Obamacare, LGBTQ rights, DACA and DAPA for example). 

Was he too old? Or was he not progressive enough? 
    Funny, I was thinking the same.  Card Act and Dodd Frank as well..
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Voting blue no matter who gets the nod !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

If people would vote for !!Trump!! because of a proposition of cancelling student debt then fuck the US. Europe should go in and split up the US into X working democracies instead of the one thing Whatever-you-call-yourself that had to worry about a person like Trump being reelected. 

In the time of the world going to shit because of climate change - Fuck any country who feel they have the right to go with fiction instead of fact. 

Fucking sanction the shit out of a country voting for someone like Trump. 

Absurd strongman-loving bananarepublic level BS
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Biden is going down:

NEW: CNN National Poll (6/28-30)
    Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:
    Bennet, Delaney, Gillibrand, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Moulton, Ryan, Swalwell, Williamson, Bullock, Messam
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2019
    I think bernie is done. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

If people would vote for !!Trump!! because of a proposition of cancelling student debt then fuck the US. Europe should go in and split up the US into X working democracies instead of the one thing Whatever-you-call-yourself that had to worry about a person like Trump being reelected. 

In the time of the world going to shit because of climate change - Fuck any country who feel they have the right to go with fiction instead of fact. 

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

You live in the ”Trump care about us!”-country. Not me. 
    edited July 2019
    https://www.reddit.com/r/croatia/comments/c7eooa/hospitalized_in_split_intoxication/

Hello I am an American male who was traveling in Split for a holiday. Ended up drinking a little bit too much, blacked out and woke up in the hospital with an IV in my arm. Somehow the bill was only $240 kn. 

Can anybody tell me why the bill was so cheap especially since I am a US citizen without Croatian healthcare insurance? 

#healthcarewithoutbankruptsy

**SANDERS 2020**
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    When is the next debate?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

Oh God, please don't invade us Sweden!   Ha!  

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

Lol, this is some funny stuff right here!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Biden is going down:

Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:
    Bennet, Delaney, Gillibrand, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Moulton, Ryan, Swalwell, Williamson, Bullock, Messam
    Wow, look at those numbers. 

Guess those debates weren't completely irrelevant, first impressions and all.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    dignin said:
    Biden is going down:

Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:

way to many people. way to early period
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

Oh God, please don't invade us Sweden!   Ha!  

You up and did now...now you got Sweden on the offensive...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    Biden is going down:

Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:

Early for what?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    Biden is going down:

Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:

Early for what?
    this level of campaigning. 2018 cycle was barely over for 2 months before this shitshow started again.

give us a fucking break from the lies , misrepresentations and unfillable promises
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Hoping to see some good, on-topic stuff here in the coming months.  This next election (far off though it may be) is bigger than BIG.
    And we're back.. Try not to F* it up with your potty mouth, Brian.  
    Ahhh f... I mean sh... I mean, is "dang" OK? :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So I guess next debate Will be all focused on ”Harris vs Biden”
    Like in the 2003 movie Freddy Vs Jason
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

I try to avoid this comment at all costs but the "kind" must be just a euphemism?
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    Biden is going down:

Biden 22%
    Harris 17%
    Warren 15%
    Sanders 14%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    O’Rourke 3%
    Klobuchar 2%
    Castro 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Gabbard 1%
    Yang 1%
    Under 1%:

Early for what?
    this level of campaigning. 2018 cycle was barely over for 2 months before this shitshow started again.

give us a fucking break from the lies , misrepresentations and unfillable promises
    I agree that American elections go on for far too long. Way too much money in it, and not enough restrictions. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

So be it.
    Dankind... you should vote. Help get Trump out of office dude. People not voting is exactly what is going to keep him there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

So be it.
    Dankind... you should vote. Help get Trump out of office dude. People not voting is exactly what is going to keep him there.
    I see what you are saying....and I do vote, and for the first time will vote for a Dem (voted Weedbrain Johnson last time in a blue state), but I think his point is really a strong one.
    We keep putting up weak candidates.  (And old ones!)
    We are told by the press (look it is already happening with this debate circuit) to whom we should be paying attention, and by the party who the legitimate contenders are.
    It will not happen now, but it needs to happen soon -- find a way to relay what people really feel about issues and allow them to explain their views.  Being the best candidate is not about being the best debater, or about being the person who will talk over people, about who the press hammers us over the head with as being 'one of the favorites', or even the person that the party pundits will tell people should be taken most seriously....it should be about someone who has their own ideas and stands for them.  (And, consequently, finds a large number of people who process these ideas and agree.)

Pretty sure most of us agree on this point, so it is silly to stand in the hallway and yell it out loud...but that is really the larger deal.

Not voting is casting a vote, if the person is paying attention.  A personal choice.
    (It helps to live in a state (MA) where they have voted D all but 4 times since 1928 and voted (strongly) for Hillary in 2016.  I felt this way last go-around when I voted for The Weedman instead of Hilary...although NJ only carried 55% for D last time vs. 41% R.  (Guess a lot of people voted for the Weedman! lol))

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

So be it.
    I see what you are saying....and I do vote, and for the first time will vote for a Dem (voted Weedbrain Johnson last time in a blue state), but I think his point is really a strong one.
    We are told by the press (look it is already happening with this debate circuit) to whom we should be paying attention, and by the party who the legitimate contenders are.
    It will not happen now, but it needs to happen soon -- find a way to relay what people really feel about issues and allow them to explain their views.  Being the best candidate is not about being the best debater, or about being the person who will talk over people, about who the press hammers us over the head with as being 'one of the favorites', or even the person that the party pundits will tell people should be taken most seriously....it should be about someone who has their own ideas and stands for them.  (And, consequently, finds a large number of people who process these ideas and agree.)

Pretty sure most of us agree on this point, so it is silly to stand in the hallway and yell it out loud...but that is really the larger deal.

Not voting is casting a vote, if the person is paying attention.  A personal choice.
    (It helps to live in a state (MA) where they have voted D all but 4 times since 1928 and voted (strongly) for Hillary in 2016.  I felt this way last go-around when I voted for The Weedman instead of Hilary...although NJ only carried 55% for D last time vs. 41% R.  (Guess a lot of people voted for the Weedman! lol))

Yeah, I get that, I have been known not to vote for lack of a single candidate that I wanted in office ... But not when it's a vote as crucial as the 2020 one is. The 2020 US elections are 100% NOT the time to abstain from voting out of principle, or to make a statement about democratic nominees. FAR too much is at stake with this one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

So be it.

Yeah, I get that, I have been known not to vote for lack of a single candidate that I wanted in office ... But not when it's a vote as crucial as the 2020 one is. The 2020 US elections are 100% NOT the time to abstain from voting out of principle, or to make a statement about democratic nominees. FAR too much is at stake with this one.
    That is your opinion.  I see you feel strongly about it, but your opinion that it is 100% NOT the time to hold to principle only applies to you.

I happen to agree, that however symbolic my vote, I feel compelled to vote for the person who has the best chance against the cheeto.  That is my opinion.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

3. Reparations

So be it.

That is your opinion.  I see you feel strongly about it, but your opinion that it is 100% NOT the time to hold to principle only applies to you.

I happen to agree, that however symbolic my vote, I feel compelled to vote for the person who has the best chance against the cheeto.  That is my opinion.
    That being the case, and after watching those first two debates, I think they might need to bring Hillary back. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.