2018/2019 NBA Thread

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    @Poncier remember when Ainge fleeced the Nets a few years back and everyone thought it would set them up for multiple championships runs? Now? Haha....

By the way, thanks for Horford!
    You're welcome.

You'll be paying 27 mil a year for him at age 36...good luck with that. He's a good player, but was very overpaid here, and will be more overpaid there considering his age.

And as for that Nets trade...it still netted the Celtics Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum for aging Garnett, Pierce and Terry. Plus we took a kick at the can with Kyrie but found out the hard way that his immense basketball talent wasn't enough to overcome his mental shortcomings. A trade you make 100 out of 100 times without benefit of hindsight.

Nice to see your Sixers are starting "The Process" all over again. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Poncier said:
    @Poncier remember when Ainge fleeced the Nets a few years back and everyone thought it would set them up for multiple championships runs? Now? Haha....

You're welcome.

You'll be paying 27 mil a year for him at age 36...good luck with that. He's a good player, but was very overpaid here, and will be more overpaid there considering his age.

And as for that Nets trade...it still netted the Celtics Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum for aging Garnett, Pierce and Terry. Plus we took a kick at the can with Kyrie but found out the hard way that his immense basketball talent wasn't enough to overcome his mental shortcomings. A trade you make 100 out of 100 times without benefit of hindsight.

Free Agency does not guarantee success for any time...

Look at the 350 million dollar man with the Phillies...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

Of course you make that trade. it's just a shame for you guys that five years later the Nets appear to be in better shape. 

And nothing is starting over. Adding the proper pieces to make a run at the title. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Where are all the delusional Knicks fans?

GS signed D'angelo Russel for how much?!?

Kawhi stays with the Raptors until he slays another dynasty.  He is your "Dynasty slayer", lol.

Good job Nets.  They should be fun to watch.

Lakers doing anything yet?

Horoford leaving Boston hurts.

What's up w Indiana?  They were good before Olidipo went down.  Surprised they haven't tried to make any moves?  Imagine Kawhi going there?  Teehee.

If Kawhi stays they repeat.  The league is all over the place right now and Bucks haven't done squat in FA.

76ers congrats on getting rid of Butler!

Pelicans, WTF were u thinking in picking up Butler?  Don't let him near Zion!!!
    Butler went to Miami dude....Pelicans signed Redick
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

How do you mean? Lebron won titles in Miami. KD won titles in GS. The league is littered with tons of instances where free agents have put teams over the top. It's all about star players. Doesn't matter if you draft them, trade for them, or sign them. Especially in the NBA.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

How do you mean? Lebron won titles in Miami. KD won titles in GS. The league is littered with tons of instances where free agents have put teams over the top. It's all about star players. Doesn't matter if you draft them, trade for them, or sign them. Especially in the NBA.
    Comparing FA in MLB and NBA is ridiculous.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847

Kawhi stays with the Raptors until he slays another dynasty.  He is your "Dynasty slayer", lol.

What's up w Indiana?  They were good before Olidipo went down.  Surprised they haven't tried to make any moves?  Imagine Kawhi going there?  Teehee.

If Kawhi stays they repeat.  The league is all over the place right now and Bucks haven't done squat in FA.

Oh really?  Whoops.

Good on Pelicans then and shame on the Heat.  Spoelstra will have his hands full with him but he's a good coach so let's see what happens.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Oh really?  Whoops.

Good on Pelicans then and shame on the Heat.  Spoelstra will have his hands full with him but he's a good coach so let's see what happens.
    Didn't Indiana get Brogdon?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Horford n Embid sounds a lil crowded

dont they both play the 5 ?

JK_Livin said:

Oh really?  Whoops.

Didn't Indiana get Brogdon?
    If you want to call that a move, then yes.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Redick and Derrick Favors.  Nice off season for the Pels man.  

Nicer squad than we ever had with AD
    CROJAM95 said:

He can play PF position too.  Good pick up for Philly.  I'm a big fan of his.
    Redick and Derrick Favors.  Nice off season for the Pels man.  

Nicer squad than we ever had with AD
    You guys should be excited about them DP's u got coming from the Lakers.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

What have Knicks fans done to you? 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

What have Knicks fans done to you? 
    I have been hearing on whom they were supposed to be getting for years w nothing doing.

I have watched them sign bad players to big contracts and make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs once, in 18 years.

When Carmelo and team had that 54 win season I kept telling everyone how bad the Knicks really are and all the Delusional Knicks fans told me I "didn't know what I was talking about."

I want the Knicks to have good management and not hire Isaiah Thomas or Phil Jackson or sign players like Carmelo or Stoudamire after an injury.

The Knicks doing well would be good but I would have to hear from the Homer Knicks fans would be just too insufferable..

Please understand my position.

For the record I loved Granmama, Starks, Oak, Mason and Ewing back in the day.  When Ewing finished his career in anything other than a Knicks Jersey I developed a bad taste. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Interesting tidbit.. When KD next takes the court, he'll be 32 years old.  That's the age where we started to see some decline in Lebron.  It wasn't in his core numbers, he always gets his numbers, but it was him saving energy particularly on the defensive side.  And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  I would bet that peak Durant is over.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Interesting tidbit.. When KD next takes the court, he'll be 32 years old.  That's the age where we started to see some decline in Lebron.  It wasn't in his core numbers, he always gets his numbers, but it was him saving energy particularly on the defensive side.  And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  I would bet that peak Durant is over.  
    Yes agreed.

Maybe the Knicks were on to something?  Nah....
    CROJAM95 said:

He can play PF position too.  Good pick up for Philly.  I'm a big fan of his.
    Horford actually prefers to play the 4, I imagine Embiid being there had a lot to do with his decision.
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  

Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And I don't think anyone can argue that anyone takes better care of their body, probably on this entire planet, than Lebron.  

Ha, no way.  Only one of those guys is protected by the officials.  Plus LBJ has never had a major injury and look how he plays the game.  Brady does not play the game like Lebron.  They are worlds apart.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ha, no way.  Only one of those guys is protected by the officials.  Plus LBJ has never had a major injury and look how he plays the game.  Brady does not play the game like Lebron.  They are worlds apart.  
    I wish Lebron still played lights out, lock down defense...
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, he takes a few more plays off than he used to do.  That was my point about him showing some age at 32.  But he still plays so smart.  His charges taken are higher than ever in his career.  And his chase down blocks are still a thing of beauty.  The one on Iggy in game 7 is an all timer of a moment.  
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Durant doesn’t have to rely on athleticism like Lebron

if Lebron had the Achilles he’d be done, Durant should be able to adjust a little and still rip the net
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

Of course you make that trade. it's just a shame for you guys that five years later the Nets appear to be in better shape. 

And nothing is starting over. Adding the proper pieces to make a run at the title. 
    I dunno, juggler. you definitely lost a lot of outside shooting.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

Both Horford and Richardson are above average from three. Need to fill out the bench with guys who can shoot but I'd say they have as good a shot or better to win the East now than anyone. Especially if Kawhi leaves
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    edited July 2019
    Kanter on Celtics..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Golden State retired Durant's number (i.e. please don't sue us for telling you it was safe to play!)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

You're welcome.

Both Horford and Richardson are above average from three. Need to fill out the bench with guys who can shoot but I'd say they have as good a shot or better to win the East now than anyone. Especially if Kawhi leaves
    Probably....since the East is sucky :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, he takes a few more plays off than he used to do.  That was my point about him showing some age at 32.  But he still plays so smart.  His charges taken are higher than ever in his career.  And his chase down blocks are still a thing of beauty.  The one on Iggy in game 7 is an all timer of a moment.  
    They made a pair of shoes commemorating that moment.
    https://sneakernews.com/2017/01/25/nike-lebron-14-chase-down-release-date/

Had he not had his dunk contested and fouled that would have been the defining play but we have that beautiful "chase down" to remember!