Feature Request: Ignore Users - Vanilla Install Instructions included

benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
Hey fine board admins! I’m wondering if you’d consider revisiting livening up the Ignore feature on the forums. I know you’re operating on Vanilla Forums, and it’s a pretty straight-forward add-on install to get this going (with crossed fingers you’re on a supported version). 

Here’s the link to the officially-supported add-on (available free of charge): https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/ignore-plugin
and here’s a simple step-by-step on adding an add-on (though I assume your web developer(s) already know how to handle this): https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/33633/how-to-install-a-plugin-addon-theme

What’s nice about the add-on is that users’ posts are never completely invisible, it just requires one more click to un-bury the contents of a post. It would truly be great to have this.
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This would definitely be a good thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yeah, I don't understand how emojis that worked yesterday are simply non-existent today. I love emojis. They are crucial to my post integrity. :warning:
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    The Ignore Feature has been added.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Sea said:
    The Ignore Feature has been added.
    Thank you so much, sea! Greatly appreciated :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2019
    I think it is a detrimental feature, on a message board.

A KISS board I frequented for a while (when I was a bit lost music-wise) had such a feature, and the ones using it were people who couldn't take other people discussing Paul Stanley lipsyncing because they refused to admit that he did.

My two cents.

(don't care if emojis are animated or not though)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

A KISS board I frequented for a while (when I was a bit lost music-wise) had such a feature, and the ones using it were people who couldn't take other people discussing Paul Stanley lipsyncing because they refused to admit that he did.

My two cents.

Some people think it's detrimental, others find it necessary. Me, I think it's great to have. It's a 'soft ignore' anyways - it just greys out the user's name on every post of theirs, but clicking it reveals the post. That means one's always able to 'check in' and re-evaluate whether they want to keep the person ignored. 

EV
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The point of an ignore feature should be that you never see that poster unless you remove the poster from ignore... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The point of an ignore feature should be that you never see that poster unless you remove the poster from ignore... 
    Isn't this the premise of an episode of Black Mirror?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    on second thought..the ignore features works well...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    omfg, it is like a holiday for my brain.  I can see that [the ignored] posted, but I cannot see what they post.

Fantastic, thank you for adding!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited June 2019
    omfg, it is like a holiday for my brain.  I can see that [the ignored] posted, but I cannot see what they post.

:lol: What is that gif from F Me? I mean, if you can read this, that is.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

:lol: What is that gif from F Me? I mean, if you can read this, that is.
    What Does The Fox Say video. 
    I can read that message!  ;)
    Thank you, sir! That was a masterful gif choice right there. 
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    dankind said:

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

edited June 2019
    Dan, are you not going to send me to the "You Are" thread for being a Master Fool?
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    Don't ignore me, Dan.

Image result for arrested development charlie brown gif
    Thank you, sir! That was a masterful gif choice right there. 

Okay, I'm going to ignore you now, F Me.
    benjs said:

My two cents.

Some people think it's detrimental, others find it necessary. Me, I think it's great to have. It's a 'soft ignore' anyways - it just greys out the user's name on every post of theirs, but clicking it reveals the post. That means one's always able to 'check in' and re-evaluate whether they want to keep the person ignored. 
    Ah, well that's kind of nifty.
    Master Bates was one of Pryor's best roles!
    I can't quit you. It would be like punishing myself.
    Gus Gorman?
    I can't quit you. It would be like punishing myself.
    :lol:  

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Don't ignore me, Dan.

https://youtu.be/wzbVn9Xx3YM
    hedonist said:
    Don't ignore me, Dan.

I'm not cooking rabbit stew for that motherscratcher! ;)
    hedonist said:
    Don't ignore me, Dan.

I'm not cooking rabbit stew for that motherscratcher! ;)

I SAW PEARL JAM

I SAW PEARL JAM
    :rofl: