MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    mrussel1 said:
    So it is officially a fielder's choice?
    I feel like the result is the very definition of an FC.  
    I still don't get it.  The word choice implies that the fielder fielded the ball and decided to not get the batter out.  But clearly is the scoring it seems.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    When a runner is hit by a batted ball, the official score on the runner is a "put out" by the nearest infielder when the ball is hit.  Even though the fielder didn't physically score a put out, he is still credited with it.  The batter being scored a fielder's choice is a result of the scoring of put out by the infielder.
    The runner has to be in front of the fielder as well to be out. If the runner is behind a fielder and the fielder has a play on the ball and misses it, the runner is deemed safe if the ball hits him. 
    Great point.  You would probably only see that when the infield is in, so pretty rare.  
    Yes, good point indeed.  It would be rare but it is a detail that can factor into play.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited June 2019
    Correct, as a byproduct of the put out.
    but that is why it's confusing. when i googled it i got both results. i always thought it was a fielder's choice but the rule book seems to indicate it should be a hit. one of the sites that answered a question had the situation happen in a minor league game and it was scored a hit.  

this site says hit 
    https://hoohaa.com/?p=8633

and this one
    https://baseballscoring.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/did-you-know-batted-ball-hitting-runner/

and this one says fielder's choice

http://www.theoleballgame.com/scoring-a-runner-hit-by-a-batted-ball.html

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    edited June 2019
    pjhawks said:
    Correct, as a byproduct of the put out.
    but that is why it's confusing. when i googled it i got both results. i always thought it was a fielder's choice but the rule book seems to indicate it should be a hit. one of the sites that answered a question had the situation happen in a minor league game and it was scored a hit.  
    Edit, I misread what you were saying. 
    I just downloaded the OBR. 

A base hit shall be awarded if by Rule 9.05(a)(5)
    a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder touches a runner or an umpire, unless a runner is called out for having been touched by an Infield Fly, in which case the Official Scorer shall not score a hit;

No hit shall be awarded if by Rule 9.05(b)(1):
    a runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error.

So it sounds to me like the batter gets a hit if the runner hit by the batted ball is not a force out, but it's a fielder's choice if the hit runner can be forced.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I just downloaded the OBR. 

A base hit shall be awarded if by Rule 9.05(a)(5)
    a fair ball that has not been touched by a fielder touches a runner or an umpire, unless a runner is called out for having been touched by an Infield Fly, in which case the Official Scorer shall not score a hit;

No hit shall be awarded if by Rule 9.05(b)(1):
    a runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error.

So it sounds to me like the batter gets a hit if the runner hit by the batted ball is not a force out, but it's a fielder's choice if the hit runner can be forced.
    hmmm interesting. those two rules above seem to contradict each other so i am fairly baffled by it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Reds sweep Strohs.  This team drives me nuts. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That was a very frustrating series. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mfc2006 said:
    We normally lose those games so it is shocking to win three in a row against a good team.  (A great team when healthy, but a damn good team even dinged up)
    With the way the staff worked so far it is crazy to say the Reds are 4 games under .500.  They play in a bandbox, have shit defense, and they still are stingy as hell with allowing runs.
    Also -- Fuck Lance Berkman.
    When you guys were in the NL that guy wore out the Reds in Cincy worse than any other player during that time period.  Destroyed the ball.
    mfc2006 said:
    Let’s fucking go!
    mfc2006 said:
    Let’s fucking go!
    Looking forward to it!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Didn't realize the Reds have lost 27 one run games this year.  Shows the sometimes thin margin between good and bad 
    https://theathletic.com/1037178/2019/06/19/thin-margin-of-persistence-one-run-trend-turns-reds-way-in-sweep-of-astros/

Ortiz not the target...:ooookkkkkaaaayyyy buddy
    Ortiz not the target...:ooookkkkkaaaayyyy buddy
    Glad I'm not the only one that read that and thought it was total BS
    Didn't realize the Reds have lost 27 one run games this year.  Shows the sometimes thin margin between good and bad 
    https://theathletic.com/1037178/2019/06/19/thin-margin-of-persistence-one-run-trend-turns-reds-way-in-sweep-of-astros/

That's the kind of stuff that can be extremely frustrating.  When the season's over, this division could have 10 games separating first from last.  Last year, Cubs tied with the Orioles for most games scoring 0 or 1 run. When you tie the by-far worst team in baseball in that stat, I have no idea how in the hell they came within one win of the division.
    I'm on vacation starting next Friday.  Cubs play at GABP that weekend.  Thinking about driving out for the Sunday game.  It would be a long day but with a 1pm start I could still be home by 10 that night.

That's the kind of stuff that can be extremely frustrating.  When the season's over, this division could have 10 games separating first from last.  Last year, Cubs tied with the Orioles for most games scoring 0 or 1 run. When you tie the by-far worst team in baseball in that stat, I have no idea how in the hell they came within one win of the division.
    I'm on vacation starting next Friday.  Cubs play at GABP that weekend.  Thinking about driving out for the Sunday game.  It would be a long day but with a 1pm start I could still be home by 10 that night.
    Great park, I wish I could visit more often.  would be great if you could see Sat and Sun games - seems like a long haul for one game.  have any friends in OH?

I was in Cleveland last week and the Reds were there.  The weekend before the Reds were in Philly, less than 15 miles from my home.  I saw 0 games.  Damn life being busy!
    edited June 2019
    HAHAHHA. Tampa.  Just move to Montreal. Or anywhere really.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Either that or MLB should just contract them & other teams(which i no will never happen, but i wish they did).
    Stop.. it's not Tampa's fault.  It's fucking St Pete. 
    Tampa as in the Rays, not the city, but yeah, that stadium is a dump so far away from Tampa.
    Tampa as in the Rays, not the city, but yeah, that stadium is a dump so far away from Tampa.
    St Pete has everyone by the balls.  That stadium should be in Channelside or right where I4 and 75 intersect.  You will draw in Orlando people, Tampa and the northern counties like Pasco where all the suburban growth is.  Pisses me off every time I think of it.  I lived in Tampa for ten years and it was such a pain to get to a game.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Frickin' Montas was doping. I was riding high with him in my fantasy rotation. 80 game suspension.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I had him in two leagues.  Crap.
    Ugh. The Astros bats need to wake up. Ugly stretch for them.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Was at the Cardinals game yesterday for Albert’s home run. Maybe the coolest live moment in sports I’ve ever been there for. So many memories watching him growing up flooded back in a moment and really hit me. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Was at the Cardinals game yesterday for Albert’s home run. Maybe the coolest live moment in sports I’ve ever been there for. So many memories watching him growing up flooded back in a moment and really hit me. 

What a weekend, so far. Just been about perfect. Piscotty coming back tomorrow and hate that his return is following this, though. Then Wednesday the Cup comes to Busch.
    That’s awesome. Pretty cool scene 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411