MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    edited June 2019
    pjhawks said:
    There are 9 ways to get to first base. What are they? I got 7 easily but couldn't get the last couple.
    walk with 4 thrown balls
    intentional walk
    single
    double
    triple
    home run
    pinch run
    hit by pitch
    catcher's interference

Walk and intentional walk are both a walk. Counts as one
    Single, Double, triple, home run are all a hit. Counts as one
    Pinch hit is incorrect.
    Hit by pitch and catcher's interference are both correct

i said pinch run not pinch hit.

and i disagree on the your assessment of walk/intentional walk and the hits as one :)

I know i'm missing a few.  

fielder's choice is one.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Pinch run is incorrect too. So a batter to reach first base.

Haha, you can all you want.  There are disagreements on how many ways there actually are too as some of the ones I have included are lumped together on some sites.

mrussel.  yes.  Strike out dropped ball, right to first.

Missing 2 easy ones.
    edited June 2019
    Pinch run is incorrect too. So a batter to reach first base.

Haha, you can all you want.  There are disagreements on how many ways there actually are too as some of the ones I have included are lumped together on some sites.

mrussel.  yes.  Strike out dropped ball, right to first.

Missing 2 easy ones.
    you're original question did not say batter.  and i put those down with zero thought. great question though.

I added Fielder's choice above.
    Yeah, I clarified.  it is a good question

Fielder's Choice is correct

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Yeah, I clarified.  it is a good question

Fielder's Choice is correct

If you get a chance, can you summarize?  I'm a bit confused on what's in/out at this point. 
    Walk
    Hit
    Hit By Pitch
    Fielder's Choice
    Catchers Interference
    Strike out/passed ball

Walk
    Hit
    Hit By Pitch
    Fielder's Choice
    Catchers Interference
    Strike out/passed ball

fielder's Error

would fielder's interference be the same as catcher's interference?

BOOM. 8

Walk
    Hit
    Hit By Pitch
    Fielder's Choice
    Catchers Interference
    Strike out/passed ball
    Error
    Fielder's Interference (some sites count this and catcher's as the same. the person that asked me did not)
    The last one is tooooooooough
    I guess it depends on how nuanced you want to get.  You could technically get to first if a pitcher fails to deliver the ball on the clock (that might go down as a walk, not sure).   You could have fan interference.  You could have a failed sac bunt, which statistically is different than a fielder's choice I believe.  
    mrussel1 said:
    I guess it depends on how nuanced you want to get.  You could technically get to first if a pitcher fails to deliver the ball on the clock (that might go down as a walk, not sure).   You could have fan interference.  You could have a failed sac bunt, which statistically is different than a fielder's choice I believe.  
    Failed sac bunt would either be a hit, error or fielders choice.  Not as nuanced on the clock thing.  Is that even a thing?  Fan interference would be a hit
    mrussel1 said:
    Failed sac bunt would either be a hit, error or fielders choice.  Not as nuanced on the clock thing.  Is that even a thing?  Fan interference would be a hit
    In youth baseball, through high school (at least where I'm from), yes there's a time limit.  MLB is tinkering too.  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-baseball-mlb-pitchclock/20-second-pitch-clock-close-to-becoming-reality-idUSKCN1QB2O9

I'm stumped.  I think there are seven ways, and that the catcher's and fielder's interference are redundant.  So when you say "ways to get to first" you are saying there are 9 unique scoring ways.  If fan interference goes down as a hit, then we must be talking about how it's scored, is that right?
    Soooo, I just had this discussion at work. Sites I saw and looked up after the fact did have catcher's and fielder's as just defensive interference, but at the same time, they are so different.

The last one I am not sure how you would score and is very hard.
    edited June 2019
    Soooo, I just had this discussion at work. Sites I saw and looked up after the fact did have catcher's and fielder's as just defensive interference, but at the same time, they are so different.

how about runner on 1st is hit by ball in play so runner is out but batter gets 1st base.  though isn't that scored a fielder's choice?
    pjhawks said:

how about runner on 1st is hit by ball in play so runner is out but batter gets 1st base.  though isn't that scored a fielder's choice?
    Yeah I would think so.  I'm stumped.  I think it's 7.  I'm giving up, Cliffy.  
    BOOM.

How is that a fielder's choice? No one made a choice. The runner got hit by a ball so he is out and the running gets awarded first base.  That said, do not know how to score that.

BOOM.

How is that a fielder's choice? No one made a choice. The runner got hit by a ball so he is out and the running gets awarded first base.  That said, do not know how to score that.

Disagree.  It's still an FC, just like a force out.  To me, I don't know how you distinguish that situation, but not catcher and fielder interference or any of the other nuances.  I still think it's seven personally.  But that was fun regardless.  
    edited June 2019
    BOOM.

well i just googled it...and got two different answers. But it looks like it should be a scored a hit for the batter. i would have not thought that. 
    pjhawks said:
    BOOM.

well i just googled it...and got two different answers. But it looks like it should be a scored a hit for the batter. i would have not thought that. 
    A hit that resulted in an out?  That's even more odd. The only time that happens is when the out was not in a force out situation (taking an extra base).  
    mrussel1 said:
    BOOM.

Disagree.  It's still an FC, just like a force out.  To me, I don't know how you distinguish that situation, but not catcher and fielder interference or any of the other nuances.  I still think it's seven personally.  But that was fun regardless.  
    But it's not a fielder's choice.  That indicates the fielder played the ball and made a decision to get someone besides the batter out.  This situation the runner gets himself out by being hit by the ball and the batter is given first.

I get the catcher/fielder's one.
    mrussel1 said:
    BOOM.

But it's not a fielder's choice.  That indicates the fielder played the ball and made a decision to get someone besides the batter out.  This situation the runner gets himself out by being hit by the ball and the batter is given first.

How do you have a hit when there is an out?  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BOOM.

How do you have a hit when there is an out?  
    Well yeah, since the beginning I said I have no idea how it would be scored and I agree with that.  I just don't see how a fielder's choice though.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    When a runner is hit by a batted ball, the official score on the runner is a "put out" by the nearest infielder when the ball is hit.  Even though the fielder didn't physically score a put out, he is still credited with it.  The batter being scored a fielder's choice is a result of the scoring of put out by the infielder.
    When a runner is hit by a batted ball, the official score on the runner is a "put out" by the nearest infielder when the ball is hit.  Even though the fielder didn't physically score a put out, he is still credited with it.  The batter being scored a fielder's choice is a result of the scoring of put out by the infielder.
    So put out of the runner, not a fielder's choice and the batter obviously gets first?
    So put out of the runner, not a fielder's choice and the batter obviously gets first?
    Put out on the runner, fielder's choice on the batter who is awarded 1B as long as the put out isn't the 3rd out of the inning.
    So it is officially a fielder's choice?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The runner has to be in front of the fielder as well to be out. If the runner is behind a fielder and the fielder has a play on the ball and misses it, the runner is deemed safe if the ball hits him. 
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Correct, as a byproduct of the put out.
    I feel like the result is the very definition of an FC.  
    JK_Livin said:
    The runner has to be in front of the fielder as well to be out. If the runner is behind a fielder and the fielder has a play on the ball and misses it, the runner is deemed safe if the ball hits him. 
    Great point.  You would probably only see that when the infield is in, so pretty rare.