Holy shit... I Mother Earth

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I ordered I Mother Earth's "Dig" from Amazon Marketplace for about 89 cents, in like new condition, about a month ago... and damn it if I haven't heard a better album in years. The musicianship on here is incredible... vocals, guitar work, drumming, everything. A few songs are great to get into right away, but most are growers (and I mean that in the best way possible). I really can't say enough good things about this album... it's just a masterpiece, in my opinion.

Anyone who doesn't have it, do yourself a favor and pick "Dig" up on Amazon for less than a dollar (not including shipping). Once I feel like I've listened to Dig enough, I'll definitely pick up their later albums. Simply incredible.

Anyone with me on this?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i loved then when they first came out.. i have all the cd's. I think it was still better with edwin tho...
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Wow, this thread takes me way back. I remember seeing I Mother Earth at a club called the Back Alley here in Calgary back in '92 or '93 (nicknamed "The Crack Alley" in the good old days. The place was, and still is a shit hole). I had just had my 18th birthday and I don't remember much about the show, but I do remember it was incredibly loud and I had a really good time. "Dig" is still a fantastic record, as is their second album "Scenery and Fish". My musical tastes changed a bit after that though, and I lost interest in them.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Yeah, these guys are incredible! Good find for only a dollar!!!
    Do yourself a favor and pick up Scenery and Fish!!
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Wow, this thread takes me way back. I remember seeing I Mother Earth at a club called the Back Alley here in Calgary back in '92 or '93 (nicknamed "The Crack Alley" in the good old days. The place was, and still is a shit hole). I had just had my 18th birthday and I don't remember much about the show, but I do remember it was incredibly loud and I had a really good time. "Dig" is still a fantastic record, as is their second album "Scenery and Fish". My musical tastes changed a bit after that though, and I lost interest in them.

I saw them mid 90's at the Republic in Calgary. Great show and I caught a drum stick in the face...i wonder where I put that??? Anyway...too bad they split.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    found an unreleased track today. called Peace Messiah. if anyone wants it, pm me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Wow- Mother Earth (the band)- a blast from the distant past!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    LOL, oh wait, this is I Mother Earth, not Mother Earth (seen here):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    found an unreleased track today. called Peace Messiah. if anyone wants it, pm me. 
     I have been one of the biggest IME fans out there and I have not heard of this. what year is it from? Edwin or Brian era?
    would love to hear it.
    Ok ok I just found it. Definitely a song from the DIG sessions. Not bad
    Ok ok I just found it. Definitely a song from the DIG sessions. Not bad
    yeah, it's ok. I am part of an IME facebook group and someone posted it. Jag then chimed in (as he's known to do) and said he absolutely hates the song. LOL

do you have any other unreleased stuff from IME?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

HAHA ... Jag is a harsh critic on himself. I only have the unreleased stuff that was then released on the rarities CD.

They do a good job of keeping the stuff they want private, private.

They had a whole album titled "save the last disco" and trashed it in 2002 with Brian. Then did the Quicksilver Meat Dream. I guess the scrapped album was too radio friendly and that wasn't their vision.

Would sure love to hear that.

HAHA ... Jag is a harsh critic on himself. I only have the unreleased stuff that was then released on the rarities CD.

They do a good job of keeping the stuff they want private, private.

They had a whole album titled "save the last disco" and trashed it in 2002 with Brian. Then did the Quicksilver Meat Dream. I guess the scrapped album was too radio friendly and that wasn't their vision.

Would sure love to hear that.

wow. never heard that about the trashed album. crazy. 

I was so pumped for the QSMD show. then the tour got scrapped. (or at least the winnipeg show did anyway)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Oh the QSMD tour was amazing. That was an album way ahead of its time. I saw them once in Ottawa and twice in Kingston for that tour. Good time for me to be going to college in K-town.
    I have these IME magazines if anyone wants them. Let me know.

• crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Love the 2 Edwin records.    I know they tour in Canada frequently, also seen they had talked about a new record possibly in the works.  Scenery and fish is nearly flawless imo.  
    I’d say S&F is absolutely flawless. But I also liked the 2 albums with Brian. He had a much better live voice than Edwin. 
    Ive seen them 11 times now and Brians energy plus stronger live vocals takes the cake for me.
    Ed does have a great studio voice though.
    Will Barclay, what Brian album do you recommend?  I’ve not heard any of those records at all.   Thanks
    edited June 2019

@crowes74 I really like both, but id say the Quick Silver Meat Dream is the best IME album they did out of all 4.

It might take a couple listens to understand it because it is different. It has a bit of a Tool feel to it. They actually used the Tool producer to mix it and co-produce.  

I think I have a spare copy I could send you if you like. But You might be able to find a cheap copy of Amazon or ebay too.

Just let me know.

Post edited by willbarclay on
    it's funny, as this is one of those situations where I consider them two completely different bands. They went in a wildly different musical direction after Edwin left, especially with QSMD, as will said, it is very progressive rock. Very Tool-ish. I love those two eras for different reasons, but I'd say musically, I prefer Edwin's records. But live, yeah, Edwin struggles. He pulls the old "on the high notes I'm going to pull the mic away from my face so you can't hear me strain" trick. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have these IME magazines if anyone wants them. Let me know.

I'd love them. But you already sent me something. can i cover postage?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hugh, send me a PM (to remind me) and ill see what postage is. Do you want all 4 mags or just the IME cover ones?
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    Saw the IME Finger Eleven tour last year, brought back some good memories.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    Hugh, send me a PM (to remind me) and ill see what postage is. Do you want all 4 mags or just the IME cover ones?
    done
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

@crowes74 I really like both, but id say the Quick Silver Meat Dream is the best IME album they did out of all 4.

It might take a couple listens to understand it because it is different. It has a bit of a Tool feel to it. They actually used the Tool producer to mix it and co-produce.  

I think I have a spare copy I could send you if you like. But You might be able to find a cheap copy of Amazon or ebay too.

Just let me know.

Thanks for the offer, it’s much appreciated.   I don’t want to put you out, I’ll track it down next time I get home.    Interesting they went the TOOL route,  I’m a fan of theirs too so it ought to work out well for my ears.  

I dont remember IME playing this area back in the day.   Did a bit of digging and they played  an early spot on a radio festival, I rarely go to festivals that’s likely why I missed it. 
    I’m going to see IME for the 12th time next month in Ottawa.
    think they'll play anything new? any word on any new music at all?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It’s been quiet for some time. I believe they have been recording but as I know IME too well, A new album could take 4 years to make. 
    Too talented for their own good. Jag is a perfectionist and kind of like John Lennon in the sense that he often doesn’t like anything they make. 
    It’s been quiet for some time. I believe they have been recording but as I know IME too well, A new album could take 4 years to make. 
    Too talented for their own good. Jag is a perfectionist and kind of like John Lennon in the sense that he often doesn’t like anything they make. 
    yeah, he stated as such when that early demo leaked. he actually said he hated it. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD