The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I've narrowed my search down to two beers for my next kegerator sixtel.
    It's between Daisy Cutter and this new hazy IPA from Victory called Cloud Walker.

Only had Cloud Walker once and found it refreshing. Daisy Cutter's a quality, easy drinking good beer.

Thoughts?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    It's between Daisy Cutter and this new hazy IPA from Victory called Cloud Walker.

Only had Cloud Walker once and found it refreshing. Daisy Cutter's a quality, easy drinking good beer.

Thoughts?
    I enjoyed the Daisy Cutter and I like to say the name.

Haven't heard the other though?
    bbiggs said:
    Juicy, hazy, new england, blah blah blah.  I am convinced at this point that brewers aren't even making new beer.  They're just recycling old recipes & rebranding with new names, bottles, & cans to fit current trends.  It's all the checklisters' faults.
    You aren't too far off.  To make it now you have to keep on making something new, lol!
    Literally every week in the case of Chicago’s most “it” brewery right now; Hop Butcher. Throw some new artwork on the can, blow out social media to hype it and BOOM...everyone is mind blown!  Don’t get me wrong. Their beer is a notch above the rest.  But if I was blind-folded for a tasting of their last several DIPAs, I’d have a tough time differentiating between them. They’re all good!

In regards to everything being “juicy,” I’m personally getting a little tired of it.  I like it. Just not every single time. 
    Beer has plateaued.

It's nice that we get to drink good beer now and there is also a reason why Belgium has the best beer in the world and still does recipes that are hundreds of years old.
    One of the best beers I've ever had was a porter/barleywine from a former monastery in Prague.  I'm pretty sure that recipe didn't change much over all of those years.
    You get it.

I will say that I do look forward to the BCBS beers every year though.  That is something I can participate in and my local actually gets them on tap, sans Prop of course.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    edited June 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Juicy, hazy, new england, blah blah blah.  I am convinced at this point that brewers aren't even making new beer.  They're just recycling old recipes & rebranding with new names, bottles, & cans to fit current trends.  It's all the checklisters' faults.
    You aren't too far off.  To make it now you have to keep on making something new, lol!
    Literally every week in the case of Chicago’s most “it” brewery right now; Hop Butcher. Throw some new artwork on the can, blow out social media to hype it and BOOM...everyone is mind blown!  Don’t get me wrong. Their beer is a notch above the rest.  But if I was blind-folded for a tasting of their last several DIPAs, I’d have a tough time differentiating between them. They’re all good!

In regards to everything being “juicy,” I’m personally getting a little tired of it.  I like it. Just not every single time. 
    Beer has plateaued.

It's nice that we get to drink good beer now and there is also a reason why Belgium has the best beer in the world and still does recipes that are hundreds of years old.
    One of the best beers I've ever had was a porter/barleywine from a former monastery in Prague.  I'm pretty sure that recipe didn't change much over all of those years.
    You get it.

I will say that I do look forward to the BCBS beers every year though.  That is something I can participate in and my local actually gets them on tap, sans Prop of course.
    One festival that was worth my time here in Milwaukee is Firkin Fest, which happens tomorrow.  All of the breweries bring out cask beers.  Something you really can't get outside of the festival for the most part.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Thoughts?
    Daisy Cutter all day long.  It has been my go to “Miller Lite” for a long time now. 
    bbiggs said:

Beer has plateaued.

You get it.

BCBS is worth the hunt once a year for sure. The weekly hunt for Hop Butcher in my area is exhausting. When I want some I’ll go get it and luckily my guy just puts it aside for me.  But to have to show up and stalk the liquor store when the delivery truck arrives is nonsense. It sells out in less than an hour. 
    More juice.  Third juicy IPA from Brekker.  This one a DIPA.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    What is everyone's favorite New England style IPA?
    Here are some of my faves....

Kros Strain DDH Fairy Nectar "London Project"
    La Vista, NE
    Won the 2018 GABF Silver Medal for NE/Hazy IPAs.
    Brand new category in 2018 with over 300 entrants.

Toppling Goliath Scorpius Morchella. Decorah , IA
    Once a year release. Very limited.

Destihl Extended Jam. (Normal, IL)
    Part of a seasonal series

Almanac Love Hazy IPA 
    Oakland, CA

Hoof Hearted Permanent Marker Pen Disguises
    Marengo Ohio

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Beer has plateaued.

You get it.

BCBS is worth the hunt once a year for sure. The weekly hunt for Hop Butcher in my area is exhausting. When I want some I’ll go get it and luckily my guy just puts it aside for me.  But to have to show up and stalk the liquor store when the delivery truck arrives is nonsense. It sells out in less than an hour. 

Yeah the Hop Butcher stuff is getting out of hand.  Unless it's something where each store only gets a case I'm usually able to get it from my local Binny's.  But yeah when people are just lurking around a liquor store waiting for a delivery it is getting pretty ridiculous....apparently most craft beer fans don't have jobs.  Having said all that, the hazy beers from Hop Butcher are incredible.

And BCBS every black Friday is one of my favorite days of the year.  And it's even better in recent years with much more available.
    Shaping up to be a nice weekend

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2019
    Having some brew from my hometown
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    A very tasty one tonight.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Where did you get the Alchemist and Lawson's?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

Where did you get the Alchemist and Lawson's?
    Lawson’s at Bound Beverages in Warrington. Alchemist at Five Points Beer store in Montgomeryville. 

Ive never had Heady Topper before. I’ve only had a clone of it that my wife’s uncle made and it was fucking amazing. Gonna dip into these tonight. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Heady Topper.  Good if you find it but don't kill yourself finding it.  Not worth the headache.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Heady Topper.  Good if you find it but don't kill yourself finding it.  Not worth the headache.
    I agree with you on this
    Feel the same about Piny Younger and Older
    This is a new Chicagoland brewery putting out some outstanding IPAs. Highly recommend for locals.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483

AN ABYSS OF HUMAN EXPERIENCE
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    bbiggs said:
    This is a new Chicagoland brewery putting out some outstanding IPAs. Highly recommend for locals.

Grabbed that last week as well.  Very good stuff.  Their first couple releases were just OK  but the lsat few have been really good.  It's the former head brewer from More brewing who left there and started his own place. 
    bbiggs said:

Grabbed that last week as well.  Very good stuff.  Their first couple releases were just OK  but the lsat few have been really good.  It's the former head brewer from More brewing who left there and started his own place. 
    Yep.  I knew it was the head brewer from More, but this is the first one I’ve tried. Glad I waited hearing the first couple were average. I thought this one was excellent. 
    Crazy day at work.  Finish it with a couple of good IPAs.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Dig the glass!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited June 2019
    Got a sixer of this for Father's Day:

Anderson Valley makes my all-time favorite beer, Poleeko pale ale. Sadly, that beer is no longer anywhere to be found around me.

Oh well, I don't drink much anymore anyway. As it is, I need to dump out about 15-20 beers from a cookout I had last Labor Day to make room for this new six pack that will likely die a similar slow death in the back of my refrigerator.

It would be nice if my wife and kids knew me well enough to notice that I haven't drank a beer in our home in nearly a year.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM

Dig the glass!
    I will forever cherish 2015.  At least I got to see them win a championship and it could be last!

Dig the glass!
    I will forever cherish 2015.  At least I got to see them win a championship and it could be last!
    The '85 Series is the first World Series that I remember reeeeally paying attention to.  I watched 82-84 but I was too young then to really take it in and understand what I was actually watching.  I knew the Cardinals played the Cubs so I rooted for the Royals.  Cards had leads of 2-0 and 3-1 in the series, but the comeback Royals were 3-0 in elimination games (they also trailed the Blue Jays 2-0 & 3-1 in the ALCS and came back to win the last 3) and improved that to 6-0 after taking the last 3 again.
    A couple noteworthy things about that year. It was the last year that no DH was used in the AL stadium during the World Series (they used to alternate odd/even years; the DH would bat all 7 games in even years, pitchers batted all 7 games in odd years).  It was also the first year of the LCS being expanded to 7 games.  Had it been 5 games like the year before, It would have been Cardinals and Blue Jays in the World Series.

Dig the glass!
    The '85 Series is the first World Series that I remember reeeeally paying attention to.  I watched 82-84 but I was too young then to really take it in and understand what I was actually watching.  I knew the Cardinals played the Cubs so I rooted for the Royals.  Cards had leads of 2-0 and 3-1 in the series, but the comeback Royals were 3-0 in elimination games (they also trailed the Blue Jays 2-0 & 3-1 in the ALCS and came back to win the last 3) and improved that to 6-0 after taking the last 3 again.
    A couple noteworthy things about that year. It was the last year that no DH was used in the AL stadium during the World Series (they used to alternate odd/even years; the DH would bat all 7 games in even years, pitchers batted all 7 games in odd years).  It was also the first year of the LCS being expanded to 7 games.  Had it been 5 games like the year before, It would have been Cardinals and Blue Jays in the World Series.
    I wish I would have been old enough to remember 1985.  I was pretty much convinced this franchise wouldn't win another World Series, let alone make the playoffs.  Both 2014 and 2015 were phenomenal rides that I'll continue to ride high for the rest of my days. 

Dig the glass!
    I wish I would have been old enough to remember 1985.  I was pretty much convinced this franchise wouldn't win another World Series, let alone make the playoffs.  Both 2014 and 2015 were phenomenal rides that I'll continue to ride high for the rest of my days. 
    Being a Cubs fan, I completely know that feeling!  After the Mets handed us our asses the 2015 NLCS (another reason I rooted for the Royals in the WS!) I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen.  Thankfully they improved and got the job done the next year.  I feel like our ride is coming to an end here soon, too.  But I'm just glad I got to see one in my lifetime!
    These compliment each other well

More IPAs in colorful cans

You know what? I think you’re right. It’s not that I was disappointed but the hue is so big with this beer that it is real difficult to live up to. Very good beer. Not my favorite. I had this one from Tree House last night and it was fucking amazing

chinese-happy.jpg