MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The harder someone hits the ball the better.  Has always been this way and always will be this way.
    You can hit the ball really hard at someone for an out every time too... or be Dave Kingman.

Can you name a baseball player who hit the ball really hard and wasn't good because he only hit it at people?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The harder someone hits the ball the better.  Has always been this way and always will be this way.
    You can hit the ball really hard at someone for an out every time too... or be Dave Kingman.

Can you name a baseball player who hit the ball really hard and wasn't good because he only hit it at people?
    Kevin Maas.

Next question?
    edited June 2019

Kevin Maas.

Next question?
    Fine.  But I think exit velocity and BABIP are good statistics to get a sense for what a player is.  As with any stat, they are not the end all be all, but hitting the ball hard in baseball is good.  This is a fact.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.mlb.com/news/bunt-ends-no-hitter-in-minors-causes-controversy

Some "unwritten laws" are just dumb.

When a bunt is outlawed from baseball I'll take issue with this, until then, tough.
    With the score 3-0 i have no problem with this. Plus, it wasn't the starting pitcher either.

Now if the score was a blowout then i would have a problem with a Bunt. 
    cutz said:

When a bunt is outlawed from baseball I'll take issue with this, until then, tough.
    With the score 3-0 i have no problem with this. Plus, it wasn't the starting pitcher either.

Now if the score was a blowout then i would have a problem with a Bunt. 
    That's fair.

Kevin Maas.

Next question?
    Fine.  But I think exit velocity and BABIP are good statistics to get a sense for what a player is.  As with any stat, they are not the end all be all, but hitting the ball hard in baseball is good.  This is a fact.
    A player like Ichiro wouldn't be able to play today with stats like this.

I understand the thinking behind it but it is flawed.

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

No metric is perfect by it's self. One of my main clients always talks about buddy metrics.  Every metric by it's self is essentially flawed so you have to have a buddy metric, something that supports or contradicts it.  Ichiro would be just fine because he had a .300 BA and even higher OBP.  Those things are still valued, especially OBP.

Yankees found Voit, who is not a perfect player but they gave up peanuts for him, and signed DJLM largely because of exit velo.  Both have worked well for them so far.

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

No metric is perfect by it's self. One of my main clients always talks about buddy metrics.  Every metric by it's self is essentially flawed so you have to have a buddy metric, something that supports or contradicts it.  Ichiro would be just fine because he had a .300 BA and even higher OBP.  Those things are still valued, especially OBP.

Yankees found Voit, who is not a perfect player but they gave up peanuts for him, and signed DJLM largely because of exit velo.  Both have worked well for them so far.
    They signed LeMahieu for his glove(which they needed) and he was cheap.  He was an absolute steal.

Here is my thing about exit velocity and things like that.

In 1997 Mark McGwire was facing Randy Johnson at the Kingdome.  Johnson was the hardest thrower in the game at the time and Mark was the hardest hitter in the game at the time.

Mcgwire got a hold of a Johnson fastball and tattooed the ball off the dome, not the upper deck, the wall of the dome!

After the game Mcgwire said that "when someone throws that hard, if you get a hold of it, it's gonna go far".

Everyone throws 95+ now.  Of course the ball is going to leave the bat with a high rate of speed.  I don't take much stock in how hard a person hits the ball, everyone hits the ball hard because all the pitchers are throwing harder.

With these "launch angles" that batters are being taught now, watch the knuckleball and placement pitchers that throw 85mph make a huge comeback soon.  Pitchers will be pitching up in the strike zone again taking those uppercut swings out of service.

Thoughts?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

It's one thing if it was blowout.  Down 9-0, then yeah, it's just a dick move.  But as in this game, down 3-0 with 1 out - you get a runner on & the next guy hits a HR, then you have the tying run coming up to the plate after.  I don't see a problem with it.  It's no different than if he would've bunted in 3rd or 4th inning.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited June 2019

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

They signed LeMahieu for his glove(which they needed) and he was cheap.  He was an absolute steal.

In 1997 Mark McGwire was facing Randy Johnson at the Kingdome.  Johnson was the hardest thrower in the game at the time and Mark was the hardest hitter in the game at the time.

Mcgwire got a hold of a Johnson fastball and tattooed the ball off the dome, not the upper deck, the wall of the dome!

After the game Mcgwire said that "when someone throws that hard, if you get a hold of it, it's gonna go far".

Everyone throws 95+ now.  Of course the ball is going to leave the bat with a high rate of speed.  I don't take much stock in how hard a person hits the ball, everyone hits the ball hard because all the pitchers are throwing harder.

With these "launch angles" that batters are being taught now, watch the knuckleball and placement pitchers that throw 85mph make a huge comeback soon.  Pitchers will be pitching up in the strike zone again taking those uppercut swings out of service.

Thoughts?
    They also got DJ also because he can put the ball in play. After last year's playoffs they changed their plans to only be a homerun or nothing team
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

Thoughts?
    They also got DJ also because he can put the ball in play. After last year's playoffs they changed their plans to only be a homerun or nothing team
    Very rarely do Colorado numbers equal everywhere else numbers.  His splits were decent until last year.

Not completely knocking him though as I like him as a player.

I used to wonder if Jeter could hit 300 on another roster?  Many a Yankee excelled here and piddled away elsewhere at bat.

Also isn't the league a HR only club nowadays?  I know the Mets are but they stink...  Cursed maybe too, lol.
    igotid88 said:

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

Thoughts?
    Very rarely do Colorado numbers equal everywhere else numbers.  His splits were decent until last year.

I used to wonder if Jeter could hit 300 on another roster?  Many a Yankee excelled here and piddled away elsewhere at bat.

Also isn't the league a HR only club nowadays?  I know the Mets are but they stink...  Cursed maybe too, lol.
    Mostly yes. Depending on the analytical team. But it's good to have someone who trying not to hit a home run with 2 strikes and trying to put the ball in play. Especially for the playoffs. During a long season you can do the hr or nothing.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Kevin Maas.

Next question?

Thoughts?

Mostly yes. Depending on the analytical team. But it's good to have someone who trying not to hit a home run with 2 strikes and trying to put the ball in play. Especially for the playoffs. During a long season you can do the hr or nothing.
    This is why a guy like Trea Turner or Dansby Swanson is so valuable.  Hell both their teams are killing it.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Kimbrel to the Cubs
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Kuechel to the Braves
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

Sox on a tiny win streak, get within 4 games by the Allstar game and the East division can be had.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Kimbrel to the Cubs
    What happened to turning Edwards into the closer?  I haven't been paying close attention but thought he was going to transition to that role?
    Kimbrel to the Cubs
    What happened to turning Edwards into the closer?  I haven't been paying close attention but thought he was going to transition to that role?
    He sucks ass.
    Kimbrel to the Cubs
    He sucks ass.
    There ya go!  Now I know, lol!
    Kimbrel to the Cubs
    He sucks ass.
    There ya go!  Now I know, lol!
    I'm not sure what happened to the guy but he went from lights out to looking totally lost and getting shelled every time he takes the mound.  He actually got DFA'd for a couple weeks earlier this season.  He's had some better appearances since being called back up, but most of the time all hell still breaks loose.  Not sure if it's a confidence issue or what, but every time he gets the call you have to take deep breaths & pray to gods you didn't even know you believed in.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I'm pulling for Edwards to get it together and do well. He's a local guy, growing up maybe 15-20 minutes away from where I live. Always like to pull for the local guys and guys that went to South Carolina.
    I'm pulling for Edwards to get it together and do well. He's a local guy, growing up maybe 15-20 minutes away from where I live. Always like to pull for the local guys and guys that went to South Carolina.
    I do hope he finds his dominant form again!  Always liked the guy and he's got nasty stuff when he's on.
    walking, car, or by plane?
    I miss igotid88
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    igotid88 said:
    Car. Basically the next town north of where I live.
    igotid88 said:
    Car. Basically the next town north of where I live.
    Over the next holler.
    Yankees' Gardner gets stitches after hitting himself in face with helmet
    15h ago
    Tom Szczerbowski / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    TORONTO ON - JUNE 04 Brett Gardner 11 of the New York Yankees reacts after flying out to end the top of the eighth inning during MLB game action against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre on June 4 2019 in Toronto Canada

Things just aren't going well for Brett Gardner lately.

The New York Yankees outfield entered Saturday's action against the Cleveland Indians in a 1-for-19 slump. After Jordan Luplow robbed him of what looked like a sure hit in the sixth inning, he tossed his helmet in the dugout in frustration.

The only problem was the helmet fought back.

After the 35-year-old's helmet bounced back into his face, Gardner received six stitches - without a numbing agent - and a fat bottom lip.

"To hit a ball like that and it's an out, yeah, just frustrated," Gardner said of the incident postgame, according to ESPN's Coley Harvey. "I told (Aaron) Boone if I hadn't done it then, I would've done it after my next at-bat. Either way."

Gardner added that it was tough to speak and that his eating and drinking methods might be affected, but said he'll be alright.

He also admitted he just recently told teammate DJ LeMahieu to be careful when throwing his helmet, according to James Wagner of The New York Times.

cutz said:
    Yankees' Gardner gets stitches after hitting himself in face with helmet
    15h ago
    Tom Szczerbowski / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    TORONTO ON - JUNE 04 Brett Gardner 11 of the New York Yankees reacts after flying out to end the top of the eighth inning during MLB game action against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre on June 4 2019 in Toronto Canada

Things just aren't going well for Brett Gardner lately.

The New York Yankees outfield entered Saturday's action against the Cleveland Indians in a 1-for-19 slump. After Jordan Luplow robbed him of what looked like a sure hit in the sixth inning, he tossed his helmet in the dugout in frustration.

The only problem was the helmet fought back.

After the 35-year-old's helmet bounced back into his face, Gardner received six stitches - without a numbing agent - and a fat bottom lip.

"To hit a ball like that and it's an out, yeah, just frustrated," Gardner said of the incident postgame, according to ESPN's Coley Harvey. "I told (Aaron) Boone if I hadn't done it then, I would've done it after my next at-bat. Either way."

Gardner added that it was tough to speak and that his eating and drinking methods might be affected, but said he'll be alright.

He also admitted he just recently told teammate DJ LeMahieu to be careful when throwing his helmet, according to James Wagner of The New York Times.

The true meaning of "insult to injury"...
    David Ortiz shot during attempted burglary in Dominican Republic
    12m ago
    Rob Leiter / Major League Baseball / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - OCTOBER 28 Former Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz is seen prior to Game 5 of the 2018 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on Sunday October 28 2018 in Los Angeles California

Retired slugger David Ortiz has been shot at an amusement center in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, his father Leo Ortiz told ESPN.

The incident occurred during an attempted burglary that resulted in the 43-year-old being taken to hospital, according to ESPN's Marly Rivera and Enrique Rojas.

More to come.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    cutz said:
    David Ortiz shot during attempted burglary in Dominican Republic
    12m ago
    Rob Leiter / Major League Baseball / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - OCTOBER 28 Former Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz is seen prior to Game 5 of the 2018 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on Sunday October 28 2018 in Los Angeles California

Retired slugger David Ortiz has been shot at an amusement center in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, his father Leo Ortiz told ESPN.

The incident occurred during an attempted burglary that resulted in the 43-year-old being taken to hospital, according to ESPN's Marly Rivera and Enrique Rojas.

More to come.

Wow. Hope he’s ok.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Now they're saying entered through lower back,  exited through stomach.  It's getting worse as the information comes in.