Gig Etiquette

13»

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    I was just thinking back to the days of seeing jazz artists at Fillmore West when jazz was starting to become a big thing with many of us in the rock crowd.  You could mosey on into the hall on a night when Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Herbie Hancock or the like were playing, find a place to sit on the floor and just chill.  Everyone was mellow, the music was fine.  Sure enough, after a while an aromatic number would pass your way.  Have a hit, relax, dig the music.  Damn, those were fine times.  Why the hell don't people do that anymore?  Weird. 
    Hey! Don't generalize. I sat down and was mellow as hell during Duran Duran at Roskilde 2005.

:) 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Please don't decide to sit on your boyfriend (or some random dude)'s shoulders and rock out in the sky. Usually completely oblivious to how selfish you are being. Yes, I'm sure that you are having an awesome time up there, but you are being an asshole.

(This from a girl who climbed onto the back of the folding chair of the person in front of me in orchestra when Eddie Van Halen came to the left side of the stage to do a solo. Somehow I was able to balance on the top of the flimsy chair and got to freak out when EVH smiled at me and when he went back to his side of the stage I promptly fell to the floor. Alcohol gave me gravity defying powers for a short period. And it also allowed me to be a complete asshole. But I don't regret it, I was young, it was Van Halen at the Garden, I was in 5th row and Eddie was RIGHT there. I don't remember being injured from my faceplant - I probably fucked up a couple people on the way down though) :blush::love:

Yeah, so don't do that. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Don't spill beer on me. Please. Not again. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    I was just thinking back to the days of seeing jazz artists at Fillmore West when jazz was starting to become a big thing with many of us in the rock crowd.  You could mosey on into the hall on a night when Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Herbie Hancock or the like were playing, find a place to sit on the floor and just chill.  Everyone was mellow, the music was fine.  Sure enough, after a while an aromatic number would pass your way.  Have a hit, relax, dig the music.  Damn, those were fine times.  Why the hell don't people do that anymore?  Weird. 
    This is so fucking cool Brian! Sometimes I feel musically I was born in the wrong era. I’m thankful I at least got to have a couple wonderful conversations with Oscar Peterson before he passed. Special guy.
    That's cool, Ben!  Would love to here more about that if that's OK! (But of course, not prying).

I'd love to meet more jazz artists- they tend to be more cerebral where as rock artist are more earthy (I like both).  I had the good fortune to sit down with jazz guitarist Herb Ellis after a show he did at Yoshi's in Berkeley.  He was quite a gentleman and loved talking about playing jazz.  The way good jazz musicians can turn music inside out fascinates me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,931
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    This is so fucking cool Brian! Sometimes I feel musically I was born in the wrong era. I’m thankful I at least got to have a couple wonderful conversations with Oscar Peterson before he passed. Special guy.
    That's cool, Ben!  Would love to here more about that if that's OK! (But of course, not prying).

I'd love to meet more jazz artists- they tend to be more cerebral where as rock artist are more earthy (I like both).  I had the good fortune to sit down with jazz guitarist Herb Ellis after a show he did at Yoshi's in Berkeley.  He was quite a gentleman and loved talking about playing jazz.  The way good jazz musicians can turn music inside out fascinates me. 
    Of course! Highly uninteresting story really... from what I understand, Oscar always loved photography. Our family business is a specialty retail store for photographic and sub-broadcast level videography equipment, and towards the end of his life he was shopping with us all the time. He was wheelchair-bound but one of our salespeople (one of the sweetest guys you could ever meet) ended up becoming incredibly close with him. Brian would take Oscar on photo walks, bringing him around to neat spots he knew - he was even a pallbearer at Oscar's funeral. I was younger and can't remember the details of the conversations anymore, but I remember his warmth, his fucking massive hands, his laugh, and the humility he possessed. You'd hardly know he's a Canadian legend (though maybe that's more to do with the fact that jazz musicians rarely reach celebrity status these days). 

Couldn't agree more jazz musicians turning music inside out (great line, by the way)! Too damn cool about Herb Ellis - I feel like you (and so many others on here) have had lives full of some very cool stories, Brian. One day I'd love for a bunch of us all to meet up and just shoot the shit.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1