Gig Etiquette

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Just a random fan or who kissed Eddie?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Just a random fan or who kissed Eddie?
    Not a clue!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

- Always pass the water back into the crowd. Don't hog the water in the front row.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dont friggin talk to me when im listening to the music. i cant hear what youre saying anyway but most importantly i dont  care., so shut up! 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Another one is don't spend the whole time talking throughout the show, especially intimate gigs.  It's just rude!
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • brianlux said:
    Somethings are worse these days, some better.

Worse:  Cell phones and cell phone cameras.  Very irritating! 

I was at a gig once and there was a guy filming from his ipad.  Who on earth brings an ipad to a concert?!  :o

PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Another one is don't spend the whole time talking throughout the show, especially intimate gigs.  It's just rude!
    yeah this one drives me nuts. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Another one is don't spend the whole time talking throughout the show, especially intimate gigs.  It's just rude!
    True story.

At a Ghost show there were 3 guys behind me and my buddy chatting through the first 4 songs.  I finally turned around and said "These guys are loud, but you guys are actually louder."

One of them apologized and said "I get it" and they went further on into GA.

Rest of the show was perfect.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If you are 6-foot-fucking-7 tall and you see me standing with a clear view in front of me, WWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is that THE ONLY spot that you feel you HAVE to stand on the entire floor?  Move to the god damn back you tall asshole motherfucker.  If you're NBA height, you don't need to be up front. EVER.
    And yeah, obviously anyone has the right to stand where they want if its GA.  But come on.  You're a foot taller than me?  Have the common god damn courtesy to not stand right the fuck in front of me.  The worst is when they look right at you, then stand in front of you anyway like they don't give a shit if you can see or not.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    And yeah, obviously anyone has the right to stand where they want if its GA.  But come on.  You're a foot taller than me?  Have the common god damn courtesy to not stand right the fuck in front of me.  The worst is when they look right at you, then stand in front of you anyway like they don't give a shit if you can see or not.
    But I don't think it's fair to expect all tall people to stand at the back, since if they're that tall, they're taller than pretty much everyone. Tall people want a chance to be up close just like everyone else. Yes, it sucks to be stuck behind a tall person, it's happened to us all, but I just can't expect them to all move to the back of the floor - that's not reasonable IMO. They deserve an awesome spot up close just as much as anyone else, I think.... Of course, there is usually a big empty spot behind them, lol. I certainly always move if that happens to me. There is always somewhere else to go (and we don't have to move to the back).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    True story.

At a Ghost show there were 3 guys behind me and my buddy chatting through the first 4 songs.  I finally turned around and said "These guys are loud, but you guys are actually louder."

A similar situation at the Scottish Rites Games in Santa Rosa, Calif., sometime in the late 80's:  My girl friend at the time and I were watching the bagpipe marching band competition.  It's a fascinating and unusual musical experience.  Anyway, this guy behind us is yacking away talking to the woman he is with and I turn around and ask him to be quite.  He keeps jawing away and I say it more forcefully.  Some other, unrelated person tells me to shut up (which was weird because I only said a few words trying to get the other guy to shut up).  So the guy finally stops talking after basically ruining the music experience, the contest ends and we all get up to leave and the guy says to me, "If you knew who I am, you would not talk to me like that and tell me what to do."  I said, "I don't know who you are and I don't care.  You were rude during the performance."  Just a big jerk with a major ego issue. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    PJ_Soul said:
    But I don't think it's fair to expect all tall people to stand at the back, since if they're that tall, they're taller than pretty much everyone. Tall people want a chance to be up close just like everyone else. Yes, it sucks to be stuck behind a tall person, it's happened to us all, but I just can't expect them to all move to the back of the floor - that's not reasonable IMO. They deserve an awesome spot up close just as much as anyone else, I think.... Of course, there is usually a big empty spot behind them, lol. I certainly always move if that happens to me. There is always somewhere else to go (and we don't have to move to the back).
    You are so right on. I am 6’ 5” and I honestly feel horrible and every time there is an empty spot behind me, usually before show starts, lol. I honestly find myself trying to be as small as possible, it’s impossible. My situation typically takes place in seated sections rather than GA. I do try to make up by sharing doobies with everyone.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    True story.

A similar situation at the Scottish Rites Games in Santa Rosa, Calif., sometime in the late 80's:  My girl friend at the time and I were watching the bagpipe marching band competition.  It's a fascinating and unusual musical experience.  Anyway, this guy behind us is yacking away talking to the woman he is with and I turn around and ask him to be quite.  He keeps jawing away and I say it more forcefully.  Some other, unrelated person tells me to shut up (which was weird because I only said a few words trying to get the other guy to shut up).  So the guy finally stops talking after basically ruining the music experience, the contest ends and we all get up to leave and the guy says to me, "If you knew who I am, you would not talk to me like that and tell me what to do."  I said, "I don't know who you are and I don't care.  You were rude during the performance."  Just a big jerk with a major ego issue. 
    HA!  I would have told the guy I'll shit in your hat if you don't get the hell away from me!  "If you knew who I was"... FU
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PJ_Soul said:

Apologies if I'm repeating myself here...

Was at the last Rush show ever at Jones beach NY (in about 2013).

Had 18th row center and about 3 songs in a taller guy with puffy hair walks to the seat right in front if me.

As was said above he looks right at me then faces the stage.

I said softly and perplexed who tf shows up late to a rush show?

A few songs later I take a closer look and think  geez that guy looks just like Chad Smith and think no way it's him since he is a Cali dude.

Then I'm reading a fan board concert review after the show... Sure as hell its him. Turns out he married a lady from the Hamptons and they summer out east  at times, and he's a big Neil Peart fan. 

brianlux said:
    True story.

HA!  I would have told the guy I'll shit in your hat if you don't get the hell away from me!  "If you knew who I was"... FU
    Exactly how I felt!  I wanted to puke. 

PJ_Soul said:
    As if we short folks aren't already at a disadvantage ALL the time, I knew I'd get #TallLivesMattered for saying this. :lol:  No, I don't expect every tall person to be at the back, that's obviously ridiculous and impossible.  But seriously if you're a 7-footer, get the fuck back or go toward the side if you want up close.  At the very least don't look right at a short person then stand directly in front of us like we don't exist.  We already feel like that all the fucking time in this world.  I'm always going to have trouble seeing at a show, I've come to terms with that.  But there is no reason for someone an entire foot taller than me to stand right in front of me.  Sure, I can move.  But so can they.  And I'll give you three guesses as to which person moves every time... and it sure as hell ain't the other guy.
    brianlux said:
    True story.

I was waiting for the story to end with something like  "and then when I came home I realised, it was Jon Bon Jovi"
    Also can't stand when I'm already bumping elbows, toes, & heels with my neighbors, and two or three people push their way through and decide my spot is also now their spot.  No, you're fucking late, go stand where there is room.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Also can't stand when I'm already bumping elbows, toes, & heels with my neighbors, and two or three people push their way through and decide my spot is also now their spot.  No, you're fucking late, go stand where there is room.
    All reasons I hate ga
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    It can go from GREAT to SUCK very quickly, if a dipshit (Terminator 2 reference) suddenly comes from nowhere and start invading space and being shitty. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    All reasons I hate ga
    I got my one experience at a PJ show, doubt I ever do it again. Bring back the seats & front row lottery!  (Plus it would rid the whole line/list problem).
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited June 2019
    I always go for aisle seats. More space. I can always move a little right or left if I need too. I’ve actually apologized and warned people before show starts that I like to stand and that I’m obviously a giant. Never had a problem. I did run into a problem last year at a show where some people were sitting some standing. I was standing and and the guy behind me started talking shit. It was a rock show, it was 50/50 standing and sitting. We had words and he fucking pissed me off, so I went and told security he was complaining about me standing and they went and told him to shut his mouth or move.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    As if we short folks aren't already at a disadvantage ALL the time, I knew I'd get #TallLivesMattered for saying this. :lol:  No, I don't expect every tall person to be at the back, that's obviously ridiculous and impossible.  But seriously if you're a 7-footer, get the fuck back or go toward the side if you want up close.  At the very least don't look right at a short person then stand directly in front of us like we don't exist.  We already feel like that all the fucking time in this world.  I'm always going to have trouble seeing at a show, I've come to terms with that.  But there is no reason for someone an entire foot taller than me to stand right in front of me.  Sure, I can move.  But so can they.  And I'll give you three guesses as to which person moves every time... and it sure as hell ain't the other guy.
    #TallLivesMattered :rofl:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    mcgruff10 said:
    All reasons I hate ga
    But ga is awesome with a respectful, fun group around you that’s totally into the music. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    All reasons I hate ga
    But ga is awesome with a respectful, fun group around you that’s totally into the music. 
    That's the thing. It is great untill it isn't.

But I had zero problems at the three PJ gigs I went to in the summer. Have had problems before though, but that all that much. Not like NIN in 2005. ZZZ. Fuck that crowd.
    brianlux said:
    True story.

I was waiting for the story to end with something like  "and then when I came home I realised, it was Jon Bon Jovi"
    No, I think his name was probably Dick something-or-other.  Or, no, wait, he was just a dick.  That's it!

I was just thinking back to the days of seeing jazz artists at Fillmore West when jazz was starting to become a big thing with many of us in the rock crowd.  You could mosey on into the hall on a night when Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Herbie Hancock or the like were playing, find a place to sit on the floor and just chill.  Everyone was mellow, the music was fine.  Sure enough, after a while an aromatic number would pass your way.  Have a hit, relax, dig the music.  Damn, those were fine times.  Why the hell don't people do that anymore?  Weird. 

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    #TallLivesMattered :rofl:
    I’m kinda proud of that one. :smiley:
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    I was just thinking back to the days of seeing jazz artists at Fillmore West when jazz was starting to become a big thing with many of us in the rock crowd.  You could mosey on into the hall on a night when Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Herbie Hancock or the like were playing, find a place to sit on the floor and just chill.  Everyone was mellow, the music was fine.  Sure enough, after a while an aromatic number would pass your way.  Have a hit, relax, dig the music.  Damn, those were fine times.  Why the hell don't people do that anymore?  Weird. 
    This is so fucking cool Brian! Sometimes I feel musically I was born in the wrong era. I’m thankful I at least got to have a couple wonderful conversations with Oscar Peterson before he passed. Special guy.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1